Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,546 times

Advertisements

What are some very safe towns, far away from hurricane and flooding territory, with winters above 45 and summers below 95?

Looking for places in ANY state.

Houston and even San Antonio, for example, are too close to hurricane and flooding territory.

Even better if the schools are high paying for teachers.

Obviously this is very unrealistic but worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 08:11 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Utopia does not exist and, if it did, very, very few would be able to afford it.

If you take out several qualifiers, you can find some nice places. You’ve also not mentioned a budget and that makes a HUGE difference. You won’t find good schools and highly-paid teachers without relatively high housing prices and taxes.

Best of luck. Let us know if you find this place.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
well,California -how about Silicon Valley,school teachers are paid well,but not well enough to live there .
you did not mention earthquake,volcano eruption,so Hawaii may be worth a look.
also take a look at the Moon,they are accepting immigrants and serving Moon cakes

Old 11-07-2021, 03:57 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Los Angeles or San Francisco metro areas since you did not mention earthquakes to be honest.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakker View Post
My native town, Monterey CA fits that bill exactly, but bring your wallet. It never freezes or gets above 95 degrees, or at least if it does it only lasts for a few hours, not months. Absolutely the most beautiful place on earth. It's built on granite so earthquakes don't affect it much and earthquake insurance is very inexpensive. I paid $200 a year for full replacement. No flooding, or drastic weather events, unless you count fog as an event.

The restaurants are fantastic, and Monterey Bay is world renowned for sealife. I've seen dolphins, a variety of whales, orcas, and numerous shoals of fish from the shore. A few years back my wife and I watched a pod of Humpbacks feeding with gaping mouths about 100 yards off the shoreline while on a walk.

Some people say that fall has the best weather, but I would challenge anyone to identify not the month, but the season if they were suddenly there and had to guess. Like anywhere else, it's getting hotter, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say it would be last place to become uninhabitable if dire climate predictions come true.

No place is utopia, but Monterey comes pretty close. My wife and I lived there for 66 years, although we've spent considerable time in other states.
It is beautiful. Just curious why did you leave?

Old 11-08-2021, 11:35 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Columbia, SC is the evacuation point for those living on or near the SC coast, but may exceed 95F. Greenville, SC, 100 miles north of Columbia almost fits your list. Greenville gets cold in the winter at night but often warms up during daylight. Greenville gets an occasional dusting of snow. By the time hurricanes get to Greenville they are downgraded to TS or TD and don't cause a lot of trouble.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 4,340 times
raleigh nc

Old 12-17-2021, 09:43 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
San Diego. The houses are min one million now. We have earth quakes and massive fires.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:07 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
I have to disagree with Columbia, Raleigh and Greenville. I am familiar with all three and staying below 95 degrees in summer is not happening late July and August. Columbia in particular is hot as Hades. Also- I've been in snow storms in all three. Columbia is the least likely to avoid prolonged cold but all three are going to still have a winter season. And Columbia and Raleigh can both catch Hurricanes from time to time. They might weaken to tropical storms as they move inland at that point but the rain/wind still wreak havoc. Columbia had massive flooding following one of the storms in 2015.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:30 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingirl144 View Post
What are some very safe towns, far away from hurricane and flooding territory, with winters above 45 and summers below 95?

Looking for places in ANY state.

Houston and even San Antonio, for example, are too close to hurricane and flooding territory.

Even better if the schools are high paying for teachers.

Obviously this is very unrealistic but worth a shot.
Coastal southern CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina