Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 06:24 PM

12,946 posts, read 18,805,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
What are you seeing that tells you downtown Charleston has a liberal vibe?

I assume you don't consider the the violent riots last year as an example of liberal vibe.
I said if I had to say. Certainly not a conservative vibe. Come take a look. The riot was one night. They happened in many cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 06:39 PM

1,290 posts, read 787,507 times
There was rioting and looting several nights. The city imposed a curfew at one point.

What does a conservative vibe look like? I'm saying there is no objective political vibe associated with downtown Charleston. I have lived in Charleston and gone downtown.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:07 PM

If you said that about Savannah, I could go along with it because it has an art college downtown. Many of the people have a Portland Bohemian look and it felt like homeless people were more prevalent in Savannah than Charleston in the tourist areas, in a San Fran way.

I prefer the look of Savannah to Charleston though.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
There was rioting and looting several nights. The city imposed a curfew at one point.

What does a conservative vibe look like? I'm saying there is no objective political vibe associated with downtown Charleston. I have lived in Charleston and gone downtown.
Again, I said “if I had to say.”

The riot was one night.

Spread the word to conservatives , then. Downtown Charleston is a great place to be for conservatives. Let me know what kind of feedback you get.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:13 PM

I know a ton of conservative Charleston superfans who grew up in rural SC.

Many of them moved to Charleston directly out of high school or college. A city with beaches nearby is going to be a hit with everybody.

For me, it is surprising that liberals like Charleston so much given the city's history. The city was built on slavery.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:21 PM

Every day on the LGBT Charleston Facebook page, someone is saying they’re moving here and are asking for info. One guy today said he just accepted a job here and is relocating from out west.

Also on the page today, I saw that there was an LGBT happy hour at a bar in Summerville this evening. Someone suggested James Island next time. Some of the group might be Republican.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:32 PM

You realize many men go to the bars to meet women, right?

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-04-2021 at 08:32 PM..

Old 11-05-2021, 05:38 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,279,349 times
Quote:
You realize many men go to the bars to meet women, right?
I don’t. I usually sit at a bar to eat or if I’m going to only drink, to catch a game. Who meets women or men at bars nowadays (as far as a dating/relationships) Lol

Old 11-05-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
If you said that about Savannah, I could go along with it because it has an art college downtown. Many of the people have a Portland Bohemian look and it felt like homeless people were more prevalent in Savannah than Charleston in the tourist areas, in a San Fran way.

I prefer the look of Savannah to Charleston though.
The arts college at CofC has Charleston covered. There are plenty of homeless people hanging out in Charleston at any given time. No one freaks. The homeless issue is cited frequently by commenters who say they never go downtown. Both Charleston and Savannah have their share of things going on that aren’t like Mayberry.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I know a ton of conservative Charleston superfans who grew up in rural SC.

Many of them moved to Charleston directly out of high school or college. A city with beaches nearby is going to be a hit with everybody.

For me, it is surprising that liberals like Charleston so much given the city's history. The city was built on slavery.
Go back far enough in the nation’s history and it wasn’t just Charleston or the South that used slavery for the prosperity of a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina