Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 02:37 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,300 times

Advertisements

You were recently calling for reparations on here, and speculating people who live in the outer suburbs are racist.

My father majored in electrical engineering at UofSC and paid for his own tuition. He's a strong conservative and grew up in a military family. He did not understand the opposition to Caslen.

It is hard to make the case an electrical engineer doesn't care about academics and would support something that undermined the university he attended. The same goes for McMaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 04:05 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I don’t see things in absolute terms. My USC (That’s what we called it.) degree is in English.

White flight away from Black people didn’t just turn on a dime and stop happening in this society after generations of that migration pattern. It still happens. Gangs sure, but why not work together as one community to fight gangs instead of running to the next new school near the next new subdivision farther out?

Reparations wouldn’t be for individuals in my view. They would be for communities that some describe as poverty- and crime-stricken, because the existence of those usually mostly Black neighborhoods can be traced to a time when Black people did not have the opportunities they have today and had no choice but to live there with little hope of changing their lives.

Many of those neighborhoods still exist because they aren’t something that can be easily changed or escaped. Hope for many starts with funding at the neighborhood level, including programs outside of schools.

Children can’t usually help themselves out of an impoverished environment if their school is sub par and their parents either don’t have good parenting skills or don’t care. And this isn’t just a Black issue.

As far as I’m concerned, if there are large swaths of white communities who could benefit from extra funding due to lost jobs, drugs and lost hope, by all means, help them, even if it’s not called reparations in those communities. Reparations for what? Enslaved ancestors and more recent ancestors who had their civil rights denied until recently?

When I was a child was recent. Whole communities of millions, thousands, or even hundreds of people don’t overcome such mistreatment and obstacles in the time frame from when I was a child until now without outside help.

It takes a lot of luck and caring from people who in many cases have to be paid (partially with reparations funds if available), like well trained social workers. Excuse the pun when I say not everything is black and white. And absolutely not everything is racism.

I have probably become tangential. I’ll give anyone else the last word. Not saying anything else about it, Caslen, UofSC, society, liberals, etc.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:57 PM

One easy way to help the poor in this country is to stop flooding the country with more poor people. People with your views are always talking about extra funding while also supporting something that obviously makes it more challenging for poor people to find work or get paid a better wage.

The decision to live in a suburb or rural area is not racist and it is something minorities in the same income range do as well. You talk about SC like segregation just ended yesterday and there are no successful black people living here. I went to college with a black mechanical engineer who grew up in Orangeburg.

It is disgraceful how this gentleman was treated. You and others have excused it. I can't see any Republican trying to argue a Democrat with a graduate degree in engineering and experience running a well known university is not qualified to be a college president in SC. This story proves that we got something some other people don't have.

The best story of American history in my view is the one about John Adams defending the British soldiers after the Boston massacre. He put aside his own biases to be fair. There are many people in this state and country right now that are not doing that.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-03-2021 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-03-2021, 05:24 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The point of universities isn't to have a liberal bent. You are making my point that the opposition to him was political.

Many of the generals in the Trump administration were Democrats or hawkish Republicans. Interviewing for a national security advisor position with Trump isn't a disqualification for a job.

A majority of the board of trustees voted for Caslen. The only people that were against him were a small group of people with your politics and many of them had no connection to the university.
1. No one made such a suggestion. I simply pointed out the fact that UofSC has a liberal bent. Most major universities do.

2. Please support your wildly illogical thought that “many” generals in the Trump administration were Democrats or hawkish Republicans. First, as a member of the US Army, in uniform, for 20+ years, I can state that there are a minimal number of Democrats of any rank. Almost all members of the military are hawkish. It’s the nature of the business.

3. A) You have been corrected numerous times that I am a Libertarian. I’m pretty sure there are none of us on the board of trustees.

3. B) The board of trustees is a political board. Thinking differently is silly.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:06 PM

If you concede most military general types are hawkish, it is odd that you would associate Caslen with Trump simply because he interviewed for a position. Trump had a lot of generals and foreign policy gurus like Bolton in his admin who were hawks. The conflicts were well documented.

No informed person considers Trump a hawk and much of the opposition to him was from the hawks in both parties. That's why you see the left embracing George Bush and Liz Cheney.

There's a 50 percent chance Caslen is a Democrat. Or was until SC. His SC experience probably was a red pill moment.

The top guys in the military are pretty 'woke' right now or at least pretend to be. General Mark Milley is one example.

The military tends to have a lot of disciplinarians who want yes men and yes women which goes against the free will aspect of conservatism. The military would crush my spirit.

I've seen a lot of The Libertarian Case for Mask and Vaccine Mandates style columns this year. I can't see a true libertarian having a problem with this general being a school president.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-03-2021 at 06:33 PM..

Old 10-03-2021, 06:33 PM

Trump was not a hawk in action, just in words.

There is a 10% chance Caslen is a Dem. That’s actual experience talking versus your usual, unsupported supposition.

Milley isn’t woke. He’s very well educated.

Your lack of knowledge regarding the military is mind boggling. I had a majority of my leaders who were against yes men. Yes men get people killed.

Please provide examples of Libertarians supporting mask and vaccine mandates. You can’t, of course, because they don’t exist. Just another example of outlandish claims that can not be supported.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:34 PM

Anybody who says Milley isn't woke or pretending to be woke is allied with the Democrat party, in my view. He is one of the most overtly political generals of all time. He's an obvious party man.

Milley by himself is enough to make me question if Carlsen is a conservative. But being a conservative should not disqualify him for a non political post at a university. He didn't apply to be the head of a Democrat political organization. People trying to turn a college into a political organization should be removed from it. The point of an university is to prepare students for a career.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Anybody who says Milley isn't woke or pretending to be woke is allied with the Democrat party, in my view. He is one of the most overtly political generals of all time. He's an obvious party man.

Milley by himself is enough to make me question if Carlsen is a conservative. But being a conservative should not disqualify him for a non political post at a university. He didn't apply to be the head of a Democrat political organization. People trying to turn a college into a political organization should be removed from it. The point of an university is to prepare students for a career.
You need to turn off the right wing media. Milley was guilty of recommending a book.

Still waiting for the examples of Libertarians supporting mask and vaccine mandates.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:06 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I’ll just say it’s the Democratic Party, not the Democrat Party. I’m not sure who started using the word Democrat as an adjective or in place of the word Democratic in the official, proper name of the party, but I know what they were doing, and it caught on. They think it sounds bad, and sound bytes are everything in politics.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:12 PM

It seems like you would want to go with a different name, given the history, especially if you are 'woke'.

It is a weird deal when people want Tillman's name off a building but not Tillman's party name off the ballot.

It is also weird how people who think this general should not be given a job simply because he was in the military and interviewed for a job with Trump, complain about somebody saying Democrat (generally as an abbreviation) as though this is a big insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina