Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 05:11 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Agreed ..they are developing I 74 in NC to try and divert people to Wilmington and Carolina Beach ...Obviously people that want to go to Myrtle will get there but NC is not obligated to make it easy LOL
And you know NC has long wanted I-20 extended to Wilmington, which would be a straight shot eastward from its current terminus in Florence. But of course, SC has no interest in giving a neighboring port an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 08:05 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
I'm a little surprised that a loop hasn't been started around the South of Florence, a southern connection between Highway 52 and Interstate 95 would be rather decent for both Florence and Charleston.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:10 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
Although the recent population numbers state Florence only grew at 1% over the past decade. I believe it has been more than that and if those numbers are indeed correct, it’s time to overhaul our economic development team some of those individuals have been there for years. Time for new blood and ideas, Florence is in too good of a location not to benefit from it. I-95, I-20 the front porch to the Grand Strand. Florence has to be aggressive in marketing and development outreach.
That is amazing...by "Florence" do you just mean the city? I cant imagine that Florence County has only grown by 1%. That said, I agree..it needs to look to new ideas and leadership to continue to want to compete... Right now I think place like Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, and Wilson are likely trying to knock some of the shine off of Flotown as they have access to 95 as well.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:26 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That is amazing...by "Florence" do you just mean the city? I cant imagine that Florence County has only grown by 1%. That said, I agree..it needs to look to new ideas and leadership to continue to want to compete... Right now I think place like Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, and Wilson are likely trying to knock some of the shine off of Flotown as they have access to 95 as well.
As per the census Florence country only added about 1.8k people, the city of Florence on the other hand added 2.8k, on the other hand Darlington County which is in the Florence metro lost 6k so the metro at large isn't doing that well.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:08 AM

Have read in in another thread that Florence county's population only increased by like 1k in ten years if I'm not mistaken this dwarfs is relatively stable growth between the previous decade..I wonder what going on given some of the progress that has been documented ?

Old 09-01-2021, 04:07 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,730 times
Florence lost at least two of its largest employers in the last 11 years. The Dupont plant closed in 2010. ESAB closed in 2016. That was 500-600 employees total.

It looks like a Clarios recycling plant closed early this year, and it had 360 employees.

Plants shutting down after the downtown revitalization indicates it doesn't have much to do with the job market.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:13 AM

235 posts, read 528,276 times
Kind of wanting to update thread! So since this, Florence has added a battery plant in East Florence. I think the city is really going to try develop the eastern side of the city and this is an awesome start to it! I hope they can develop a Tech center in the city. Feel like most are incorporating that as a major staple for a city.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
Kind of wanting to update thread! So since this, Florence has added a battery plant in East Florence. I think the city is really going to try develop the eastern side of the city and this is an awesome start to it! I hope they can develop a Tech center in the city. Feel like most are incorporating that as a major staple for a city.
Yeah.. Hopefully it will continue to grow to the North and East. Most of the major employers seem to be locating in this area.. so may be retail/commercial and residential will follow. Especially from the corridor from the Hospital to Francis Marion's Main Campus

Old 05-06-2023, 08:18 PM

308 posts, read 469,486 times
Yeah I believe it’s the start of revitalizing on that side of the city, Extra Storage Space has restored a very old building that has literally sat vacant or under utilized for some 30 years. Once the battery plant gets up and running. I would anticipate other development to arrive for those 1k+ employees on that side.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:30 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Florence is about as interesting as Greenwood, Sumter and Orangeburg.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina