Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 08:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Not sure exactly how accurate but here was one I found.
https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...tion_diversity
At least it’s data. Thanks.

But my contention is rather in terminology. What does “flooded” indicate in regards to the number of out of state students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 09:29 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,543 times
You missed my big goof. I said Stony Point rather than Stony Brook.

Stony Point is a neighborhood I looked at for retirement on Lake Greenwood.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Our colleges are flooded with students from other states, especially kids from the northeast. In the 90s, we used to say Clemson is Rutgers University, South Campus because of all the NJ kids. It was surprising to me these kids would travel so far to go to Clemson. My 3 hour drive from the eastern part of the state was more than I wanted to do.

I would be surprised if the average person in the south has heard of the majority of colleges up north and other regions outside of those with competitive teams in football and basketball, and some of the Ivy league schools. I think all of the colleges in P5 conferences are the most well known along with Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Many states don't have a college in the P5. Tourism to SC has to give Coastal Carolina and College of Charleston some exposure as well. Many of the students at Clemson had vacationed with their family in SC and that's how they ended up applying. They loved the state.

I did not know the major public universities in New York (Stony Point, Binghamton, Buffalo) until recently after looking into it. I had thought Syracuse was the major public university at one point. Clemson and UofSC may have more name recognition nationally than these 3 colleges despite New York being the 4th most populated state and more wealthy people living there.

One of the neat things about attending Clemson for a small town kid like me was meeting all of these kids from other states and regions, typically big cities like Boston. It gave Clemson a cosmopolitan vibe despite being located in a rural area.
Schools in states all across the country are recruiting out-of-state students in larger numbers with a big reason being the decline of state funding.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...te/1628566001/

Old 06-29-2021, 06:15 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
Quote:
Our colleges are flooded with students from other states, especially kids from the northeast. In the 90s, we used to say Clemson is Rutgers University, South Campus because of all the NJ kids. It was surprising to me these kids would travel so far to go to Clemson. My 3 hour drive from the eastern part of the state was more than I wanted to do.
This did not remain true in following years, but when I started college in 2001, in-state tuition at Rutgers was more expensive than out-of-state tuition at Clemson.

NJ is also the most densely-populated state in the country and a lot of students want to see something less so.

Last edited by gvsteve; 06-29-2021 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 09:23 AM

They didn't have to attend college at Clemson and the majority of them had affluent parents. Salaries up there are higher because of the cost of living. You don't travel that far to attend college unless you think it a good place to be. But you are indirectly making the case SC does fund our colleges adequately if the instate tuition was higher in high tax states than the out of state tuition in SC. Their high taxes didn't make college more affordable for their residents.

Keep in mind Clemson is now one of the most expensive public universities for out of state. It was in the top 10 a few years ago. The number of out of state students at Clemson has never been higher.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
you are indirectly making the case SC does fund our colleges adequately if the instate tuition was higher in high tax states than the out of state tuition in SC. Their high taxes didn't make college more affordable for their residents.
I said that was the case in 2001, it stopped being the case by 2003 or 2004 and I presume it's not the case now.

I didn't realize I was getting into a political debate. But since you brought it up I figured I'd look it up, and US News lists average public tuition as $21,200 out of state and $9687 in-state. And Clemson is $38112/$15,120.

Clemson is all around a pretty well run and well respected public university, and they're growing by leaps and bounds so it seems their premium tuition is in line with the market of students looking for colleges to attend.

Quote:
I often see people trash the education system in SC but I have never seen anybody try to argue public colleges in the Northeast like UMass, Uconn, UofNH, etc are better than Clemson and the UofSC.
Not sure who in particular you're referring to, but people I hear 'trashing the education system in SC' are usually referring to the K-12 system in the poorer rural parts of the state, not the public college system.

Last edited by gvsteve; 06-29-2021 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 03:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Not sure who in particular you're referring to, but people I hear 'trashing the education system in SC' are usually referring to the K-12 system in the poorer rural parts of the state, not the public college system.
What you post is correct. What the other poster magically pulled out of somewhere is what they read into things.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:10 PM

It is weird how people who live near schools with low scores in urban areas assert that failing students in SC only live in rural areas of the state. They seem to pretend these areas and people don't exist.

I see new school buildings in rural areas. These schools have teachers, books, air conditioning, restrooms, buses, athletics, etc. How are they underfunded? Are you saying students failing all of their classes in a SC school would do well in another school that is supposedly better funded? That doesn't seem probable.

It doesn't make sense to me to say the colleges in SC are solid, the urban schools are fine but the rural schools are no good. Our government is responsible for all of them.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:22 PM

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/SC/d...nk.aspx?t=name

Here's School Digger's scores for school districts in South Carolina. Note all of the rural districts at the top.

They have Charleston's district which includes Mount Pleasant at only 38th overall in the state. If you take out Mt Pleasant, it is really gonna drop like a rock.

They have the urban school district, Richland 01, in Richland County ranked no 60 out of 82 school districts.

Here are their rankings of the schools in our largest cities. https://www.schooldigger.com/go/SC/search.aspx Columbia is 129th. Greenville is 70th. Charleston is 82nd. All of this makes sense to me.

Our highest 'big city' is Mrytle Beach at no. 30.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 06-29-2021 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-30-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Here's School Digger's scores for school districts in South Carolina. Note all of the rural districts at the top.
Did you bother looking at the bottom of the rankings to see where the problem might be? Very rural counties down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina