Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:16 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,174,494 times

Advertisements

Between this and the new joint port, its only a matter of time before Savannah and Beaufort become a giant metro.
Quote:
There are plans for an 8,000-acre community of homes and businesses in the works. Officials overseeing the development say the new Jasper Ocean Terminal will bring more than one million jobs to the Lowcountry by 2040.

"What this does, is plans for the coming of that growing population and that workforce that will need housing," said Hardeeville Mayor, Harry Williams.

The community will consist of 9,500 residential units and 1,500,000 square feet of commercial retail and office space. This project will increase the population of Hardeeville, which is presently 5,800, to well over 25,000 residents upon build-out. It expects to offer a residential product price range from $250,000 to $750,000, with a variety of residential as well as multi-family product offerings and price-points. These residential offerings will include but are not limited to workforce housing, age-preferenced and custom home products provided through exclusive builder neighborhoods and multi-builder program communities.

"This is not something we're doing overnight. This is something we're going to do over the course of 20 years," Williams said.

Argent Land Holdings, LLC, an Atlanta based development company, will be completing the development. The developer will donate significant acreage to the City of Hardeeville for active park site, police and fire stations, and schools. Active and passive City Parks will include a combined area of over 250 acres with utilization of Conservation Easement property for passive park and trails. The community will offer residents a large water recreation amenity to include boating and fishing, in addition to other attractive water sports. This development project will include the completion of Central Loop Road, connecting Hwy 141 through East Argent to Hwy 170, as well as other regional road improvements.
City of Hardeeville to double in size - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,944,812 times
“One million jobs” ... LMAO!

Old 11-28-2017, 10:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,981,233 times
Pretty sure they do a piece on Hardeeville every decade or so with the same title and idea of growth and blah blah blah. One million jobs though? C'mon, at least make it believable!

I remember reading a similar article in SMN back in the early 2000's about this same thing. Hardeeville should've had like 50,000 people by now or something..

On the flip side, yeah, Beaufort County and adjacent Bluffton has grown quite a bit and yes, eventually, it'll spread across the border to Jasper, but at this point, I've waited 20 years and barely anything has happened along 17 that was suppose to happen. Same thing with downtown. There was also suppose to be an exit 3 on 95. Nothing.

I'll believe it when it happens.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
“One million jobs” ... LMAO!
One million jobs over twenty-three years would require successfully recruiting industries that create many jobs and significant investments followed by suppliers to create more jobs and create industrial clusters.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Pretty sure they do a piece on Hardeeville every decade or so with the same title and idea of growth and blah blah blah. One million jobs though? C'mon, at least make it believable!

I remember reading a similar article in SMN back in the early 2000's about this same thing. Hardeeville should've had like 50,000 people by now or something..

On the flip side, yeah, Beaufort County and adjacent Bluffton has grown quite a bit and yes, eventually, it'll spread across the border to Jasper, but at this point, I've waited 20 years and barely anything has happened along 17 that was suppose to happen. Same thing with downtown. There was also suppose to be an exit 3 on 95. Nothing.

I'll believe it when it happens.
Building growth should pick up when RiverPort progresses and Bluffton maxes out on space. The only progress I have noticed is continued infilling along United States Route 278 in Jasper and Beaufort counties.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,160 times
Too much of this growth better not spill into Beaufort. I prefer the small-town atmosphere and community. Hopefully this helps Hardeeville though; right now I only remember it as the town you drive through to get to Georgia. I'd love to see it be more.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
One million jobs over twenty-three years would require successfully recruiting industries that create many jobs and significant investments followed by suppliers to create more jobs and create industrial clusters.
You’re being overly kind ...

Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM

The reality of adding one million jobs would be a long shot. Fifty thousand jobs a year would have to be created and retained.

The RiverPort development in Hardeeville will create jobs. I doubt the number would be one million.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaufortonian View Post
Too much of this growth better not spill into Beaufort. I prefer the small-town atmosphere and community. Hopefully this helps Hardeeville though; right now I only remember it as the town you drive through to get to Georgia. I'd love to see it be more.
Actually, you’ve got it backward. The growth isn’t spilling from Jasper into Beaufort, it’s spilling from Beaufort into Jasper. The commercial development along US 278 from HHI up to I-95 in Jasper County is already set, and in-fill residential development south of there toward the US 17 corridor and Savannah is well under way.

It’s only a matter of time that Hardeeville and Jasper County become like Pooler and Bluffton. However, Jasper public schools remain a problem for the near future. I’ve seen no efforts to fix that.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The reality of adding one million jobs would be a long shot. Fifty thousand jobs a year would have to be created and retained.

The RiverPort development in Hardeeville will create jobs. I doubt the number would be one million.
You think?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina