Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,174,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
What is your source that the plan is to widen 85 all the way to Commerce?

Right now it looks like they are only doing a 12 mile stretch between 985 and an exit just north of Hamilton Mill Parkway.
It's part of the Gov. Deal's Transportation Funding Act of 2015. In January of 2016, the state unveiled plans to invest over $10 billion during the next 15 years in improving Georgia's roads. Two of those projects involved widening I-85 between Hamilton Mill Pkwy(exit 120) and S.R. 211(exit 126) and another project that will widen I-85 between S.R. 211(exit 126) and U.S. 129(exit 137) for a total of 17 miles.
Here's a link to a pdf file that shows all of the major mobility projects being funded with the new state money...
http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/Tr...ts-Nov2016.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 AM

826 posts, read 1,128,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Geez I hope not. 17 is smooth and I'd like it to stay that way. It's a much better and safer alternative than 95. You can build a highway to Charleston another way. That'd be a major waste of money just taking into account traffic counts.

And I was talking about 17 between Beaufort and Chas by the way, but same applies. 17 is one of the easiest and less stressing drives, whether going north or south. 26 meanwhile is 221 miles of pure stress.
I just wish SCDOT would repave US 17 between the GA state line and SC 170 or at least SC315. That is by far the worst stretch of road I have driven in SC, and there a lot of roads in SC that could use some work.

Going north on 17 you go over the very nice Talmadge Memorial Bridge onto Hutchinson Island and then onto a newly replaced bridge between Hutchinson Island and SC. You go from very smooth roads to a road that should have been repaved 10+ years ago. I feel like the welcome sign, should have an apology for how crappy the roads are in SC. Its not to say that GA roads are perfect, as stretches of I285 in ATL could definitely use some rehab work. Its just the sudden contrast in road condition as soon as you cross the state line really stands out.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Thank God. That entire segment is a mess. I've seen dangerous bottlenecks on I-85 northbound at the lane drop near Cowpens, with traffic suddenly decelerating to 35 MPH and cars having to take a dive into the median to avoid high-speed rear-end collisions. The segment from Spartanburg to Gaffney is the worst of the worst, but all of it from Spartanburg to Gastonia is just bad.
In recent years, I used South Carolina Highway 11 and United States Route 29 between Spartanburg County and Cleveland County, North Carolina, to avoid bad spots. They can be better alternatives to Interstate 85.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:22 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Georgia is about to widen I-85 to six lanes from Buford to Commerce, so I'm betting that South Carolina will widen the segment south of Anderson once Georgia starts widening the segment north of Commerce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
What is your source that the plan is to widen 85 all the way to Commerce?

Right now it looks like they are only doing a 12 mile stretch between 985 and an exit just north of Hamilton Mill Parkway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
It's part of the Gov. Deal's Transportation Funding Act of 2015. In January of 2016, the state unveiled plans to invest over $10 billion during the next 15 years in improving Georgia's roads. Two of those projects involved widening I-85 between Hamilton Mill Pkwy(exit 120) and S.R. 211(exit 126) and another project that will widen I-85 between S.R. 211(exit 126) and U.S. 129(exit 137) for a total of 17 miles.
Here's a link to a pdf file that shows all of the major mobility projects being funded with the new state money...
http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/Tr...ts-Nov2016.pdf
Interstate 85 in Georgia will be widened to six lanes to the South Carolina state line. The South Carolina Department of Transportation is working to widen Interstate 85 from the Georgia state line to mile marker 19.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:28 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,417,597 times
i wish they could do something to reduce congestion at the 285 / 85 and 285 / 75 interchanges.

I'm not seeing anything in that pdf about adding lanes to 85 all the way to the GA border. I think the ATL metro roads should be the priority right now.

I'm not seeing any plans in Google search to widen 85 from Anderson to the state line. that would involve replacing bridges over the lake as well unless the interstate is going to reduce from 3 to 2 lanes over the bridges.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,459,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
I just wish SCDOT would repave US 17 between the GA state line and SC 170 or at least SC315. That is by far the worst stretch of road I have driven in SC, and there a lot of roads in SC that could use some work.

Going north on 17 you go over the very nice Talmadge Memorial Bridge onto Hutchinson Island and then onto a newly replaced bridge between Hutchinson Island and SC. You go from very smooth roads to a road that should have been repaved 10+ years ago. I feel like the welcome sign, should have an apology for how crappy the roads are in SC. Its not to say that GA roads are perfect, as stretches of I285 in ATL could definitely use some rehab work. Its just the sudden contrast in road condition as soon as you cross the state line really stands out.
I know what road youre talking about, I use it to go to Savannah. It really is probably the worst road in the state.

They actually finally repaved some it when they built the new bridge, but it still needs more work though, and it's way too narrow and way too dark, especially with that Savannah truck traffic.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:48 PM

378 posts, read 420,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Interstate 95 needs to widened to six lanes from the Georgia state line into Virginia. South Carolina and North Carolina should be on board.

In regards to priority, where could widening Interstate 95 rank between the rebuilding of the Interstate 20/Interstate 26 interchange in Richland County and the construction of Interstate 73?
NCDOT is planning to do it sometime around 2025.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,870,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
NCDOT is planning to do it sometime around 2025.
By that time it will need 4 lanes smh

Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,959,738 times
26 connects all SC’s biggest cities. The state should pay for most of it.
95 connects urban Florida to the urban northeast. It’s mostly used by people just passing through to get to another state: the Feds should pay for that one.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM

8,252 posts, read 13,382,547 times
I-77 is being widen from I-20 to Blythewood. I believe to three lanes though there is an existing three lane segment that may be going to four. Its Columbia's most populated suburban area. I don't believe I-77 warrants widening to Charlotte.. though it is has been widen considerably at York County. It was really bad during the holidays.. but not sure any other time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina