Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,465 times

Advertisements

Please, helpful advice...

My Husband works in Charleston (we currently live in West Ashley), sorry can't stand it (originally from Northern Virginia - born and raised - hard to get used to anything else after 40 years)! My parents live in Myrtle Beach. And, they are a big help to me - I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and I'm afraid I haven't been doing well (Neurologist is at MUSC) and we have 2 young boys, 5 & 7. Is that a good place that's close to both? But, is it good for OUR family? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,840,974 times
Pawleys Island is a nice place. You'll find folks who love it here and folks who can't wait to get away from here. Check out the Myrtle Beach Forums for many discussions on Pawleys Island. Like any other town, it has its good points and its bad points, and I suspect each person's lists would be different. Is it right for your family? Nobody can answer that question but you and your family. What don't you like about West Ashley?

We enjoy an occasional trip to Charleston, but depending upon in what part of Charleston your husband's job is located, I cannot imagine making that commute every day, particularly in view of the traffic and road construction in Mt Pleasant. Some folks will tell you it's an hour drive from PI to Chasn. That might be correct under perfect conditions, if you drive fast. I've had more than a few trips that required almost an hour to get from Awendaw to the Cooper River bridge because of backed up traffic. Still, I understand you do what you gotta do. There are good doctors and reasonably good hospital care here, but it is common practice for patients with complex issues to be referred to MUSC. Once again, only you can decide whether moving further away from MUSC is right for you. Good luck to you.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 07-08-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,465 times
Thank you for getting back to me!

My Husband and I have done suburbia and any more we just want to get away from it! Even though we want to give our younger boys (we have 2 older sons, 17 and 20; but, they're up North!) something similar to what we had, it is a different day and age - I'm sorry to say, we're disenchanted with the world (but, we still have Faith:-). We haven't found our neighbors in our own cul-de-sac to be friendly! I unfortunately had a relapse and needed to get to MUSC Emergency Room (my Neurologist told me to after talking with his office); but, not only did I didn't have a car (Husband had it at work) I couldn't drive and I had my 2 sons so I asked my neighbor if they could take me and watch my boys; but, she told me she had to get ready for her party the next night. How sad is that! But, we did try to meet them all and even suggested getting together and to no avail. Our neighbor directly next to us had alreaday had 2 get-togethers with other neighbors but we weren't invited! My boys and I were outside on the 4th when she had her latest (my Husband was at work) and they saw us and didn't even say "Hello, how are you, come on over!" Oh, well. So, we've been trying to meet others here (Village Green - yuck), school, church, etc. and still no luck. We have yet to experience "Southern Hospitality". Us Northeners are so much nicer than what Southeners think! So, we haven't made any new friends; yet, so our boys haven't either and they are just as miserable.

My Husband works in Wando (Kenan - he hauls gas). As far as commuting, I thought everybody did being from the DC area! He was commuting from Myrtle for 9 months so here we are; but, and hour to live somewhere nicer, quieter - worth it?! Thank God we're renting - and, this is why. No family, no friends and we just didn't know until we tried so we're here til April.

MUSC is still here and so I can still get to it (yea). But, not only do I want to be as healthy as I can for as long as I can - I want to be happy. Stress is just another thing to set-off my disease. And, heat! How dumb is that to live where it's hot! I can't win:-)

Where's country living around Charleston?!

Do we really have to go back North?!

Thanks, again! God Speed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina