Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 AM

21 posts, read 53,491 times

Advertisements

I've lived in all three major metros in the state. Both have a lot to offer. I find both areas geographically gorgeous. However, the type of person that prefers to be by the beach only once a year. I think you would be happy with either city. I would visit Columbia before making any decisions though.

I wouldnt go by this forum much. No disrespect to anyone's opinions, but some I just cant make sense of. Ive seen posts criticize Columbia for being too conservative, yet praise Greenville and criticize Columbia's crime rate, yet praise Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,360,500 times
I understand city pride. I understand the members in G'ville and Columbia who irritate each other. Here's my thoughts on the rude comments and personal attacks: it is a good way to quickly accrue a lot of infraction points. If this is what you want I am more than happy to oblige. And I will.

~ linicx

Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,979,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Agreed. Go with Charleston. Better entertainment options, better job opportunities, better shopping, better air service, prettier geographic location.
I agree. Charleston over Columbia any day. Two different cities. Charleston has much more to offer.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM

13,034 posts, read 18,896,877 times
Columbia is as good as Charleston overall. It's simply a matter of personal taste.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 11-18-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,058,173 times
when we relocated to SC, we spent a good week here not only checking out the cities but doing things we would do if we lived there (zoo, parks, lake, beach, etc). For what we wanted (esp the lake) the Columbia area won out. We love it here, not only for what it offers us but the fact that we are centrally located is huge. Both Charleston and the beach are an easy day trip for us, one that we make at least once every month or two. And in the other direction Greenville (and the mountains, waterfalls, etc) are also a good day trip for us. Coming from WI, you dont get either in a 2 hr drive lol.
I'd suggest to list out the things you enjoy doing, & what is needed for work; and visit the couple cities with those thoughts in mind. This forum was quite helpful for us, but you at times may have to weed thru negative comments about areas to get the info you want. Use it for what it's worth, a mix of good recommendations and suggestions along with some very strong opinions that you may or may not agree with.

Good luck in your research

Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,701,499 times
I lived in Charleston (Mount Pleasant) from 2002 until 2010 when I moved to Columbia (Lexington). I moved for family reasons more so then via choice.

Given a choice, I say live and work in Charleston. You will find Charleston is like a vacation, resort, a geared toward fun area. As such, it can be a bit more expensive then Columbia but I say well worth it.

I have also lived in Northern VA (Crystal City) and you will find the traffic in Columbia/Charleston is sissy traffic compared to Northern VA.

$45K per year will go a lot further in SC then it does in the DC area.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 AM

I was reading an article the other day that indicated Columbia is a wine town at a discount price compared to more touristy places. Charleston was mentioned as one of the more touristy places. This is one example of Columbia having a lot to offer without robbing the bank.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I was reading an article the other day that indicated Columbia is a wine town at a discount price compared to more touristy places. Charleston was mentioned as one of the more touristy places. This is one example of Columbia having a lot to offer without robbing the bank.

Charleston is more exciting than Columbia. The city itself is much more elegant and fun filled. There is no other place like it in South Carolina.
The oldest and most beautiful city.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM

It depends on what excites you. First-hand experience that can be gained only with time spent in each city, coupled with whatever it is that floats your boat, is the best way to make a decision on which of the two cities will better suit one's desires overall.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Charleston reviews (http://chrisdeloach.com/ratings.aspx - broken link)

A little about Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina