Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Take a look at Greenvilles downtown and what the racial makeup is for those who live there.......there is a definite racial problem when Blacks are forced to live in certain parts of town because the majority of them don't make enough green to live anywhere else!
LOL. Who is "forcing" Africans Americans to not live downtown? Please show some proof before spewing lies again. They can choose to live where they please to. Our city manager is African American in fact so I doubt he passed a law banning them from living downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Quote:
..there is a definite racial problem when Blacks are forced to live in certain parts of town because the majority of them don't make enough green to live anywhere else!
How does a U.S. citizen's skin color affect his/her ability to earn a sufficient income in 2011? I know people with various skin tones who would absolutely love to have enough money to live wherever they want to live.

Regarding life in Greenville, if everything you have written since joining City-Data.com is true (as a long-time resident, I know much of it isn't), then why did you decide to live on a big city salary in the "redneck-infested" suburbs instead of the vibrant downtown area? It may not resemble your beloved NYC, but it is undoubtedly the best alternative available in this region.

Information for anyone interested in Greenville's Minority-Owned/Women-Owned Business Enterprise Program:
Minority/Women-Owned Business Enterprise Program

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM

142 posts, read 343,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
LOL. Who is "forcing" Africans Americans to not live downtown? Please show some proof before spewing lies again. They can choose to live where they please to. Our city manager is African American in fact so I doubt he passed a law banning them from living downtown.

While Greenville is a much more economical place to live than most cities, the issue here is opportunities. In general Greenville has few opportunities from what I have witnessed and the opportunities that do exist are for whites first, Hispanics second, and Blacks third.

Neighborhoods tend to to be segregated by class and race in most areas. This is not unusual, but to me it usually points to race and economic issues in a community. There don't seem to be many blacks the live downtown. Downtown housing is mostly for the wealthy ( doctors, lawyers, business people etc). Downtown shops tend to be for the same set mostly. Many black people live in another part of town with whites and Hispanics who earn less than those downtown.

Some of the young people and transplants are very open minded here and have great ideas for Greenville, but there is also a strong set of individuals that think like the old guard and are very resistant to any kind of change other than walmarts and fast food chains. Progress seems stuck in progress. Lot's of potential here , but it needs a boost.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
In general Greenville has few opportunities from what I have witnessed and the opportunities that do exist are for whites first, Hispanics second, and Blacks third.
A rather interesting assertion. Mind if I ask how you came to your conclusion regarding blacks & hispanics?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Many black people live in another part of town with whites and Hispanics who earn less than those downtown.
They are not forced to remain living in those neighborhoods though. In fact, many receive government assistance (funded by hard-working taxpayers) to live there and then do absolutely nothing to help improve the status of their community, much less their own homes.

Check out the racial diversity in Greenville's 29601 zip code area (Downtown) sometime. You may be surprised.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:13 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times
It is so unfortunate that some people in this thread are either just not being honest about things that they know to be true or they deliberately go about their day to day life in SC with their eyes closed so they don't have to face the truth. Here in NYC I see black people all the time in corporate power positions (top executives) for many of the worlds biggest companies......in South Carolina most blacks that I encountered were lucky if they even had a job in some factory making $9 an hour. Hope? What hope is there to live in Greenvilles pricey downtown area or any pricey area in SC for that matter when your black, working in a low wage position, can barely get by and the better paying jobs are all held by whites? There is no hope because without the proper climate blacks are shut out....period. Laws are not needed to keep certain racial groups from living in pricey areas....all it takes to accomplish that is to keep black people in low level positions so that they cannot afford to live anywhere but some of the worst areas like Greenvilles Berea area up White Horse Road. This is not a new game in South Carolina....they have been masters at manipulating black peoples access to opportunity since slavery. Another method for determining the racial climate....take a look at who owns all of the business's....can guarantee you that none of them are black.

The sad part about all of this is that black men and women built America but have never benefited from it's riches!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 01-23-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
It is so unfortunate that some people in this thread are either just not being honest about things that they know to be true or they deliberately go about their day to day life in SC with their eyes closed so they don't have to face the truth. Here in NYC I see black people all the time in corporate power positions (top executives) for many of the worlds biggest companies......in South Carolina most blacks that I encountered were lucky if they even had a job in some factory making $9 an hour. Hope? What hope is there to live in Greenvilles pricey downtown area or any pricey area in SC for that matter when your black, working in a low wage position, can barely get by and the better paying jobs are all held by whites? There is no hope because without the proper climate blacks are shut out....period.

The sad part about all of this is that black men and women built America but have never benefited from it's riches!
With all due respect, your post is untrue, in my opinion. Thousands of black Americans have seen more money in the past few decades than thousands of white Americans have ever seen in their entire lives -- and vice versa. Locally, I know several black families who earn a much better income than many white families -- and vice versa.

Despite plenty of evidence to show that people from any cultural background can be successful in the U.S. (including SC), I would like to know what you think is a reason for this alleged "racism" and what you think would be a good solution.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
It is so unfortunate that some people in this thread are either just not being honest about things that they know to be true or they deliberately go about their day to day life in SC with their eyes closed so they don't have to face the truth. Here in NYC I see black people all the time in corporate power positions (top executives) for many of the worlds biggest companies......in South Carolina most blacks that I encountered were lucky if they even had a job in some factory making $9 an hour. Hope? What hope is there to live in Greenvilles pricey downtown area or any pricey area in SC for that matter when your black, working in a low wage position, can barely get by and the better paying jobs are all held by whites? There is no hope because without the proper climate blacks are shut out....period. Laws are not needed to keep certain racial groups from living in pricey areas....all it takes to accomplish that is to keep black people in low level positions so that they cannot afford to live anywhere but some of the worst areas like Greenvilles Berea area up White Horse Road. This is not a new game in South Carolina....they have been masters at manipulating black peoples access to opportunity since slavery. Another method for determining the racial climate....take a look at who owns all of the business's....can guarantee you that none of them are black.

I have to agree with every word you have said! I was hoping to see a new south and it's not that new. This is a problem in America as a whole. People can't see unless they are directly effected by racism or class. Government assistance does not pay that much, especially in the south. On the flip side housing isn't as expensive as New York City, but if you consider the wages here $7-10 an hour it's a joke. People cannot successfully live off that amount.

After living in Greenville , for a year I have observed carefully and what I notice is that most business are white owned or Hispanic owned. There also tends to be more interracial coupling between whites and Hispanics. Much less interracial coupling involving blacks. That being said I think there is a strong sense of multiculturalism in the poor neighborhoods and in some middle class neighborhoods, perhaps because everyone is in the same boat. Otherwise, Greenville can be a bit segregated.

Bottom line, Greenville could definitely due for some black empowerment hear, job creation, business ownership, home ownership, etc. In general the whole town needs better jobs , but that's an issue indicative of every state at this point.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
With all due respect, your post is untrue, in my opinion. Thousands of black Americans have seen more money in the past few decades than thousands of white Americans have ever seen in their entire lives -- and vice versa. Locally, I know several black families who earn a much better income than many white families -- and vice versa.

Despite plenty of evidence to show that people from any cultural background can be successful in the U.S. (including SC), I would like to know what you think is a reason for this alleged "racism" and what you think would be a good solution.

Just to Chime in again, yes there are some racists in Greenville, but racism is everywhere. Greenville's problem is that some of the racism has been layered over to the point where it has become tradition rather than racism with malice tied behind it.

I think you cure it by talking about it like we are doing now. Have the city hold some forums on race , multiculturalism, black business ownership. You could even make those into conventions and bring in some money. Have some job training programs around town.

First and foremost someone needs to do something about public transportation in Greenville, County. It should extend much further and for longer hours. Start a ride share program as well.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,524 times
Quote:
First and foremost someone needs to do something about public transportation in Greenville, County. It should extend much further and for longer hours. Start a ride share program as well.
Funny you say this, because currently public transit in Greenville almost exclusively serves poor minorities. Aren't they the group which is supposedly so disadvantaged in southern society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina