Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 03:19 AM

15 posts, read 9,022 times

Advertisements

[Bump]
It's not the greatest, but it's not the worst I have seen by a long shot. Full disclosure caucasian retired vet so have been stationed all over the country, but can only comment on what I have seen or experienced.

If you compare SC to Missouri my experience SC is a bastion of acceptance and equality. Counter intuitively compared to Texas it's probably a bit worse on avg. Although in Texas,like most places, it truly matters which regions your looking at.

One bonus is cops here are a lot less likely to shoot you for walking/driving while black than many other places I have been. As far as random stops go, it seems better than many places from my perception but that's a lot less obvious from an outside perspective, so harder to quantify.

Your also more likely to get the dreaded " bless your little ol heart" than a shotgun or explicit actions. If you encounter a racist, they are at least more likely to be polite about it.

As far as economic and residential activity I would say it is about avg or just slightly above from personal observation. Actuall statistics from a smart person may dispute that.
There is a noticeable glass ceiling.
Business ownership, C suite occupancy, and senior mngmt/leadership does tend White.
Gated communities tend to go one way, under-served neighborhoods the other.
On the other hand Christian charity is pretty big down here. If one needs help it's not hard to find. Which may counteract the worst racially motivated excess. Again check with someone with actuall experience or statistical knowledge before taking my word.

There is also a regional component. Down near Beaufort will generate different results than the upstate. While Columbia tends towards old money which has different opportunities and barriers than Charleston. It being avg or slightly higher among similar urbanized ports.
Part of this is a result of SC right to work status. A lot of unionized companies moved here which brought in transplants from all over the country and Europe which tend to be concentrated in certain regions, and impact dynamics.

Last edited by BMBender; 01-18-2024 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 10:36 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 9 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMBender View Post
[Bump]

As far as economic and residential activity I would say it is about avg or just slightly above from personal observation. Actuall statistics from a smart person may dispute that.
There is a noticeable glass ceiling.
Business ownership, C suite occupancy, and
seniormngmt/leadership does tend White.
Gated communities tend to go one way, under-served neighborhoods the other.
If you look at performance in SC schools and nation wide between demographics, discrepancies in career and neighborhoods should be expected.

If racism is still prevalent in the country, the teachers would have be racists and holding some students back.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:17 AM

381 posts, read 278,864 times
interesting semi necro thread, been in the upstate a bit over a year and Ive seen much less racism here then in Fl where we came from so thats just one persons casual observation, thats not to say it does not exist its just not nearly overt as in South Fl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina