Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 02:05 AM

14,725 posts, read 14,704,283 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ct-real-madrid

The English clubs will try, but I think Real Madrid is the only logical choice, especially with Benzema’s departure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 05:31 AM

2,415 posts, read 1,592,950 times
cannot be many teams that can afford him, City, Real Madrid, Newcastle, Wrexham?

Old 06-13-2023, 07:40 AM

4,324 posts, read 1,572,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ct-real-madrid

The English clubs will try, but I think Real Madrid is the only logical choice, especially with Benzema’s departure.
Madrid almost got him last time. It's no surprise he doesn't want to stay in Ligue 1, the quality is so poor. Don't think many clubs can afford him and stay within the financial regulations, not that that seems to bother Man City, Barcelona or Chelsea.

Madrid is interesting but Vinicius plays in the same position, coming in off the left. Man Utd had been rumored to be interested, but I assumed that was noise from Qatari interests tying in with the potential take over.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 3,549 times
Huge stakes with this Mbappe drama. PSG is the one backed into a corner, not Mbappe.

The Saudi club Al-Hilal and their outrageous offer - proof that money doesn't always talk. Mbappe isn't going to risk his career for a quick payday. He wants top-tier European football, not a lower league paycheck.

PSG got themselves into this mess. They started the crazy spending with Neymar and Mbappe. Now it’s biting them right back. I'm telling you, if Mbappe ends up walking to Madrid for free next year and PSG has to pay his loyalty bonus - that's karma. It's what they get for messing up the transfer market.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 3,549 times
Apparently Mbappe is due a loyalty bonus of €60 million from PSG if he's still a PSG player next Tuesday, August 1.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:18 AM

27,341 posts, read 13,597,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
cannot be many teams that can afford him, City, Real Madrid, Newcastle, Wrexham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBeXyKVvhb0

Old 07-30-2023, 06:52 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,023,302 times
It is sad PSG cannot win Champions League. They are a lock every year since the French league is not that deep. They have so much talent up front, in the middle, and back row. But still they choke at the last moment. What will the French league do now?

Old 07-31-2023, 07:43 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It is sad PSG cannot win Champions League. They are a lock every year since the French league is not that deep. They have so much talent up front, in the middle, and back row. But still they choke at the last moment. What will the French league do now?
Ultimately if PSG lost some 'dominance' in the French League it would be a good thing for it! There is nothing more damaging than a one or two horse race in a league. Scotland is a good example of the stagnation that can happen if only one or two clubs have any realistic chance of winning a league over a long period of time (many leagues have some 'dominant' clubs for 'periods' but if those periods run into decades it starts to have a detrimental affect).

Next year Celtic or Rangers WILL win their league, because of that only Celtic and Rangers will pull in large crowds, because of that Celtic and Rangers will have by far the biggest budgets and because of that the season after that Celtic or Rangers WILL win their league! No matter how 'good' either Celtic or Rangers get, even if they sign Mbappe TV companies will NOT give them big money to show the games - because its boring knowing that Celtic or Rangers WILL win the league. Subsequently they become huge fish in a little pond and the lack of TV money has a detrimental affect on their chances when they leave their 'pond' and try competing in the 'bigger pond' that is the Champions League.

Now I think even the Spanish League suffers because of the same reason, I reckon it would be on par (eyeballs wise) with the Premier League if we didn't already know that either Madrid or Barcelona WILL win the Spanish League. France and Germany are going down very dangerous paths PSG have won 9 of the last 11 league titles whereas Bayern Munich have won ELEVEN on the bounce!

Of course there is a danger that Man City start doing the same thing in the EPL but the advantage the EPL has is an even distribution of wealth and a lot of historical 'big' clubs which hopefully means that there is more competition, if that 'competition' fails to materialise though it would cause issues in the years ahead.

These are the clubs in the EPL that I 'expect' to mount serious title challenges over the next 10-20 years

Man Utd
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Newcastle
Spurs
Man city

These are referred to as the 'big 7' but in reality Aston Villa and Everton have (historically) been as big, perhaps we can add Aston Villa to that list and perhaps more surprisingly Brighton (who have never been part of the 'big boys' historically). Everton (currently) seem to be all at sea!

Last edited by easthome; 07-31-2023 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-01-2023, 07:37 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,023,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Ultimately if PSG lost some 'dominance' in the French League it would be a good thing for it! There is nothing more damaging than a one or two horse race in a league. Scotland is a good example of the stagnation that can happen if only one or two clubs have any realistic chance of winning a league over a long period of time (many leagues have some 'dominant' clubs for 'periods' but if those periods run into decades it starts to have a detrimental affect).

Next year Celtic or Rangers WILL win their league, because of that only Celtic and Rangers will pull in large crowds, because of that Celtic and Rangers will have by far the biggest budgets and because of that the season after that Celtic or Rangers WILL win their league! No matter how 'good' either Celtic or Rangers get, even if they sign Mbappe TV companies will NOT give them big money to show the games - because its boring knowing that Celtic or Rangers WILL win the league. Subsequently they become huge fish in a little pond and the lack of TV money has a detrimental affect on their chances when they leave their 'pond' and try competing in the 'bigger pond' that is the Champions League.

Now I think even the Spanish League suffers because of the same reason, I reckon it would be on par (eyeballs wise) with the Premier League if we didn't already know that either Madrid or Barcelona WILL win the Spanish League. France and Germany are going down very dangerous paths PSG have won 9 of the last 11 league titles whereas Bayern Munich have won ELEVEN on the bounce!

Of course there is a danger that Man City start doing the same thing in the EPL but the advantage the EPL has is an even distribution of wealth and a lot of historical 'big' clubs which hopefully means that there is more competition, if that 'competition' fails to materialise though it would cause issues in the years ahead.

These are the clubs in the EPL that I 'expect' to mount serious title challenges over the next 10-20 years

Man Utd
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Newcastle
Spurs
Man city

These are referred to as the 'big 7' but in reality Aston Villa and Everton have (historically) been as big, perhaps we can add Aston Villa to that list and perhaps more surprisingly Brighton (who have never been part of the 'big boys' historically). Everton (currently) seem to be all at sea!
Yes the EPL and Serie A have most parity in Europe. There was talk of a European Superleague because it seems only Champions league has any parity with most of the domestic leagues being unbalanced. If it does happen, the leftover domestic leagues can just continue on with teams they have and be a 2nd skill tier. They can even keep playing a champions/europa league tourny. Winner can even move up to Superleague

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Bt43gxLLs

Old 08-02-2023, 05:36 PM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yes the EPL and Serie A have most parity in Europe. There was talk of a European Superleague because it seems only Champions league has any parity with most of the domestic leagues being unbalanced. If it does happen, the leftover domestic leagues can just continue on with teams they have and be a 2nd skill tier. They can even keep playing a champions/europa league tourny. Winner can even move up to Superleague

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Bt43gxLLs
We (European's) don't want a "European Superleague", after announcing it a year or two back it took the fans revolting about 24 hours for the greedy club owners to realise their huge mistake.

I can only imagine what Everton or Aston Villa fans (to name but a few) would 'think' to the idea of 'playing in a 2nd skill tier'. It was EXTREMELY arrogant of those clubs (one of which was my own!) to think that football fans only have interest in their club! Fact is most football fans in England are NOT Manchester United fans! Chelsea v Fulham or even Everton v Liverpool may hold little interest in fans (or are they just casual observers the way I am when watching football between two sides who are NOT my team) in far away countries but it means a hell of a lot to the match day attendees in SW6, or from across Stanley Park.

Just as one example I don't mind Chelsea playing Porto in European competition, it fails to have the traditional rivalry but it is 'new', its 'different' when you only play these teams occasionally - but it it were twice every year in a 'Superleague' how long would it be before playing Porto is akin to playing Swansea City? Only this time without the history and also the travelling distances being so much further and more difficult? I imagine there would be FAR less away support at these games (who would be able to afford to jet off to Europe or in to the UK every week) and the atmosphere will become sub-par. The same works the 'other' way too of course.

This 'Superleague' idea was doomed to fail right from the off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer