Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times

Advertisements

I have to be honest, I am not liking VAR, I have watched a bit of women's football for pretty much the first time this world cup and although the ladies themselves are providing plenty of entertainment in my opinion the whole thing is being ruined by VAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 02:06 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,410,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I have to be honest, I am not liking VAR, I have watched a bit of women's football for pretty much the first time this world cup and although the ladies themselves are providing plenty of entertainment in my opinion the whole thing is being ruined by VAR.
I could not agree with you more!

Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 PM

15,554 posts, read 10,549,254 times
Quote:
I know, I hate it.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make any difference - offside is offside! What's next giving a goal because the ball 'very nearly' crossed the line!!
I'm not stating I'm right. I'm stating how I prefer it; that being, without VAR.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm not stating I'm right. I'm stating how I prefer it; that being, without VAR.
You would prefer it if they got the decision wrong?

Old 06-26-2019, 06:33 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,173,194 times
Quote:
I really am amazed by people who feel it should go. As far as I can tell, not a team official has said VAR got a call wrong. I have watched every minute of every game of this WWC and cannot say I disagree with a single VAR decision. VAR is only there to correct an obvious mistake by the ref, its held up every time. The only time I have disagreed with the call was when I disagreed with the call on the field and there was not enough evidence to overturn the call. Its why refs are not to call offsides on goals, but to let the VAR make the call since every goal is reviewed.

As for the people saying that it takes too long, almost every close play is reviewed and the review takes 30 seconds. Its only those calls involving game changing moments, like PKs and goals are they given extended reviews, and that is to make sure that an error does not decide the game. Every time I ask someone what play they thought VAR got wrong, they cannot give me an answer. They just say they don't like it, or it takes too long. If I was about to be eliminated from the WC, I would be happy how long it takes. Plus, all the VAR time is added back on anyway. Does it impact the flow, of course. But MUCH LESS that a bad call would. A bad call can destroy a team and change the game in favor of the other team. If you are in favor of this, I cannot understand you.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:09 AM

I think they need to re-think the handball thing - its getting a bit daft if you ask me, whatever happened to 'deliberate' handball? Now if somebody blasts the ball at your arm from 3 feet away its resulting in a penalty - which is daft, even more daft when the person who has been shot at then gets a yellow card! As pundits have been pointing out now 'why go for goal when you shoot, shoot at an opponent instead'! They REALLY need to change the handball rule back to where it was (FAR more sensible), the whole VAR thing means that FAR too many games are being decided on penalty kicks.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,430,527 times
Its ridiculous. When I was playing there was handball and ball to hand. The two are easily to tell apart.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:35 AM

15,901 posts, read 6,607,727 times
It seems fair to me. The defenders already get a lot of built-in advantages in the penalty area, just based on the ref's reluctance to call a PK. The hand ball rule (somewhat) counterbalances that.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I simply prefer the days without VAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer