Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 PM

41 posts, read 131,947 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,
My husbands company is talking to him about moving to South Dakota, more specifically Sioux Falls, or Harrisburg for work, and we were just trying to get info on possibly moving there from Hawaii. No, we are not crazy, just looking for a change. Any ideas, comments, helpful info, pictures of the area would be absolutely awesome.!!!! Mahalo (thank you) for any help.
Dave and Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hi Dave and Bev and welcome to the forum. We have a "sticky" at the top of the page with pics of different areas. There are several of Sx. Falls on there. I believe that some of them are labeled as being from Sx. Falls. If you find some that aren't, just ask and we'll try to help you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...g-info-sd.html

On the page above, Danny posted a nice pic of Sioux Falls and Rapid City that shows the contrasts.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-...th-Dakota.html

The above link will take you to the City Data page for Sx. Falls and there are several pics on there, too. The stats are a bit old and the city is now a bit over 140,000. It's the largest city in our state.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Here's the link to the local newspaper.

I don't know a lot about Hawaii except that it's supposed to be beautiful, have a great year-round climate, but quite expensive. I think it's wonderful that you're interested in our state. If you have any questions, just ask and we'll try to help as much as we can.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-20-2008 at 11:02 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Aloha Dave & Bev,
South Dakota welcomes you with open arms!
You will find some helpful info from the links that Jammie posted.

Sioux Falls is the state's largest city, and is home to excellent school systems and healthcare... as well as low crime.

Harrisburg is one of the nation's fastest growing communities, located just a few miles south of Sioux Falls.

If you are looking for any specific photos, I'd be happy to take any and post them.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
MJ, that's really nice of you.

I did go through about the first 10 pages of our pic thread last night. The first pic from Sx. Falls was posted by me and it's on page one~the fifth post with the park bench and the water.

Snowblind has some Sx. Falls pics posted on page 2. I know there are several more down the line. I believe those may be the only ones in the first 10 pages that were posted from over there.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 AM

69 posts, read 283,266 times
hello, if you use the search function at the top of the page and search for wantoutoftexas (thats me) you will find 3 very helpful threads, I have been collecting info from all the wonderful people here for over a year, (almost ready to move 6 months)
and there is some really good info on different areas, jobs, housing, parks, etc...

Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 PM

19 posts, read 99,072 times
if u decide to move to sioux falls id def. get a house on the south side of town, these r were all the newer houses r being built, if not the south id say the east thats another good part of town to live in

Old 07-24-2008, 07:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
kaohinani,

Welcome to the South Dakota forum. The Sioux Falls area, in spite of a shaky economy nationally, has been stable and is doing well. The area still has a strong job market with a low unemployment rate. The area has many nice people and is a mix of young, middle-aged and old, something for everyone.

Sioux Falls is by and large is a clean community that is easy to get around and has an easy to understand grid system for roads. There are many nice neighborhoods in the city, the best areas in the city area in the south, west, and east and many well-kept older homes in the McKennan Park and Sanford Hosp./VA Hospital area in central Sioux Falls.

There are a number of communities around Sioux Falls that are within short and easy commuting distance to Sioux Falls. They also have a good education system and are progressive. Brandon, Tea, and Harrisburg are good communities with close proximity to Sioux Falls. Although a little further out, Lennox, Canton, Worthing, Garretson, Baltic, Crooks, Hartford, Humboldt, Dell Rapids, Valley Springs, and Larchwood, IA are also good communities to consider. These communities are quieter and a little more quaint and not growing as fast, but are less than a half hour from Sioux Falls.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM

230 posts, read 626,272 times
I moved to Sioux Falls this past February and have loved being here. I was deployed for a year, but came from San Antonio, Texas before that. I can tell you that going from a big city like San Antonio to a place like Sioux Falls takes a little getting use to, but Sioux Falls has everything you need. Maybe not everything you WANT, but certainly everything you need...

I have found the people to be pleasant for the most part, regardless of some thinking they are on the rude side. I say if you want to see rude, go to New York, Detroit, or cities like that and then we can talk rude. The weather during the summer is great, but then again, I'm coming from Texas and Afghanistan so anything under 100 during the summer is nice for me. The winter was a little brutal for me when I got here with the temperature on my first day at a whopping -23 and snow everywhere, but I got use to it quick and am actually looking forward to a snowy winter coming up.

There are a ton of family friendly things here in Sioux Falls and places to go on short trips close to Sioux Falls that are really nice as well. The healthcare is great from my experiences and my family is very pleased.

I have been to some of the smaller towns mentioned like Tea and Brandon and know people living in Worthing as well and love the "small town" feel of those places. I live in Sioux Falls though and with gas near $4.00 a gallon, I love how close everything is to me !!!

Ok, I'm rambling... If there is anything I can help with or you have questions, please feel free to shoot me a direct message.

The people on this site were very helpful to me when I moved here, so if I can return the favor, I would be more than happy !!!

MARK...

Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
I moved to Sioux Falls this past February and have loved being here. I was deployed for a year, but came from San Antonio, Texas before that. I can tell you that going from a big city like San Antonio to a place like Sioux Falls takes a little getting use to, but Sioux Falls has everything you need. Maybe not everything you WANT, but certainly everything you need...

I have found the people to be pleasant for the most part, regardless of some thinking they are on the rude side. I say if you want to see rude, go to New York, Detroit, or cities like that and then we can talk rude. The weather during the summer is great, but then again, I'm coming from Texas and Afghanistan so anything under 100 during the summer is nice for me. The winter was a little brutal for me when I got here with the temperature on my first day at a whopping -23 and snow everywhere, but I got use to it quick and am actually looking forward to a snowy winter coming up.

There are a ton of family friendly things here in Sioux Falls and places to go on short trips close to Sioux Falls that are really nice as well. The healthcare is great from my experiences and my family is very pleased.

I have been to some of the smaller towns mentioned like Tea and Brandon and know people living in Worthing as well and love the "small town" feel of those places. I live in Sioux Falls though and with gas near $4.00 a gallon, I love how close everything is to me !!!

Ok, I'm rambling... If there is anything I can help with or you have questions, please feel free to shoot me a direct message.

The people on this site were very helpful to me when I moved here, so if I can return the favor, I would be more than happy !!!

MARK...

Sioux Falls is a great example of all the great things about the northern plains going right..

With that said, while it isn't the largest city in the area it certainly is growing nearly as fast as any of them!

The city in the next decade will be in the mid-sized city status as it is growing at nearly a 30% decade growth rate which is outstanding for any region of the US..

And with that said, you will be finding new things that wasn't in this city opening up every year which will give you new things to try out..
In seven years the estimate has this city growing at 40,000 people which is outrageous..

The arts, music and cultural scene is soon to follow.. I give this city an A+ for quality of life overall as well as future opportunities.

And something you will not read about is that this city maybe the only city in the entire US that grows above 25% decade rate based ENTIRELY on good, healthy growth unlike your Las Vegas or Pheonix etc..

One of a kind..

Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 AM

230 posts, read 626,272 times
I thought Sioux Falls was the largest city in the state ?? If I'm not mistaken it's the largest city within a couple hours. I'm new though, so I could be wrong...

I would love to see how things progress in Sioux Falls in the future however, mine is but another two years and the family and I will be on our way back to our home in Cincinnati, Ohio...

There are many reasons to like Sioux Falls and if it wasn't for the remainder of my family that is in Cincinnati, I would probably give it strong consideration to stay here.

It's hard not to like a place where people are nice, things are close, healthcare is good, cost of living is good, education is good, and the crime rate is low !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls