Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2023, 01:51 AM

11 posts, read 33,527 times

Advertisements

Hello
My wife and i are planning to move to SD. We were going to move to Rapid City but due to my line of work it was not ideal. Then we decided on area close to Sioux Falls ( up to 30 mile distance). Last time i was in area (SF) was due to my work at beginning of 2020. I have questions to ask and any people that live in area i would greatly appreciated any answers.
- Best area to live in up to 30 miles distance from city?
- What to expect for property taxes ( city vs rural) ?
-Current job market ( my wife is OR RN, and i also work) ?
- Housing prices have changed a lot since i was there in 2020, is it better to look for older build or newer?
- Good places to look for properties with some land?
- Flooding ( seen lot of homes with sum pumps but none with generators), what happened when power goes out?
-Restrictions for having animals ( NOT PETS) I am talking about pollutry and livestock?
- What areas to stay away from ( did anything changed since 2020)?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 08:30 PM

165 posts, read 146,056 times
For starters, have you read the threads posted earlier in this forum?
"City/Town recommendations"
And also "Flood risk in Sioux Falls?"

The suggestions on where to live will depend on your budget. I know inside the city of Sioux Falls the median home price is about 350k. From what I see being built in my newer part of town, I wouldn't plan on finding a newish 3 BR /2 BA build for less than 400k (on a quarter acre). I have seen newer builds (4 and 5 BR) going up for sale (brand new and resales) in the 600s. But I have no idea on the rural acreage type costs. Take a look at realtor.com or similar.

The property taxes on the average will be high as there is no income tax in SD and the sales tax is low compared to a lot of states. I'm paying about 1.5% property tax in the Brandon Valley district, but other areas could be higher or lower. Again, if you look at realty sites for active listings, you can see property tax info.

For jobs, Sioux Falls is probably the best area in the state as it's the biggest metro area in the state and growing like crazy. There are 2 x 500+ bed hospitals in town, so the wife should have a lot better options than outside the city.

No idea on "livestock", but I understand you can have backyard chickens in SF.

Hard to say what are the areas to stay away from, esp if you are looking for an acreage. It depends on your comfort level and where you have lived before. But in town, I think you can just drive around and figure out where you would and wouldn't want to live.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 33,527 times
Hello
Thank you for your reply. I did dead most of suggested items. Insirance and flooding maps change annualy that is why i was asking. I have contacted few idividuals that i worked with inpast that live in general area of SF and have received a good amount of informations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls