Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 07:57 AM

27 posts, read 18,628 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job at the post office (at 4801 N 4th) but from what I can tell, it is located in an "unsafe" part of town. I've never been to Sioux Falls, and I don't know anything about the area. (I currently live in Omaha, NE)

Everyone seems to advise against living in the northern part of the city, but ideally, I would like to live as close to work as possible.

What's your opinion about this neighborhood insofar as safety concerns / livability?
If I do take the job, should I try to avoid finding housing in the near vicinity?

I honestly have been trying to search for advice on this topic (at reddit, quora, and here on city-data) but the process is quite laborious and time-intensive, and I only have a few days to make my final decision about the job.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 10:11 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_rosie View Post
I am considering taking a job at the post office (at 4801 N 4th) but from what I can tell, it is located in an "unsafe" part of town. I've never been to Sioux Falls, and I don't know anything about the area. (I currently live in Omaha, NE)

Everyone seems to advise against living in the northern part of the city, but ideally, I would like to live as close to work as possible.

What's your opinion about this neighborhood insofar as safety concerns / livability?
If I do take the job, should I try to avoid finding housing in the near vicinity?

I honestly have been trying to search for advice on this topic (at reddit, quora, and here on city-data) but the process is quite laborious and time-intensive, and I only have a few days to make my final decision about the job.

Thanks so much!
The main sorting location for USPS is the north 4th facility. It's completely in a commercial/industrial part of Sioux Falls and totally safe.

The residential area that is south and east of this facility is known as Norton-Froehlich. It's not a very desirable place to live. The residents there are pure working class and somewhat "rough around the edges". However, most are good people, just not very affluent. This area is not close to being the worst areas of Sioux Falls. Keep in mind that the worst areas of Sioux Falls pale as to danger if you compare them to what Omaha has.

There is plenty of residential areas north as well as northwest (west of I-29) of where you will be working that are newer, quite affordable, and very safe. It's also an easy commute to the north 4th USPS with all highway miles from the small towns of Crooks, Renner, Hartford, Baltic, Dell Rapids, and Brandon. Dells is the farthest away at approx. 20 miles. Crooks and Renner are only 4-5 highway miles away.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 7,957 times
its_rosie:

There are many apartments within walking distance of the USPS on 4th.

My adult daughter lived in an apartment that's not even a quarter mile away.

Things to know that apartment managers didn't speak of: (1) Trains pass through at all hours of the evening. They frequently blow their horns - either because they can, or because homeless are either on the tracks or too close to the tracks. (2) At around 10 a.m. most days, the South Dakota Air National Guard (I think!) fly their jets through the skies of Sioux Falls. If you are a late night worker, those jets will definitely wake you each and every time! (3) There are many homeless and addicts in this area. Expecially in the summer time, they will travel and or 'camp' in the brush behind the apartments adjacent to the train tracks. [Bishop Dudley Hospitality House, and other social service type agencies, are located to the east of the river within walking distance of the apartments.] (4) The police department maintains a frequent presence in this area around Fawick park. They seem to be 'on top of things.'

My daughter walked to her job. She often worked in the evening, getting off at 11 p.m., 12 a.m., 1 a.m. She worked at local restaurants.

She never felt threatened walking to or from her workplace. However, she maintained an air of alertness, paying attention to anybody around as she walked.

Most of the apartments near the USPS are affordable. I've seen several USPS workers walking from the apartments to their job on 4th.

I'm sorry this response is so late relative to your posting. Perhaps this will help someone else!

Old 11-10-2022, 09:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie23 View Post
its_rosie:

There are many apartments within walking distance of the USPS on 4th.

My adult daughter lived in an apartment that's not even a quarter mile away.

Things to know that apartment managers didn't speak of: (1) Trains pass through at all hours of the evening. They frequently blow their horns - either because they can, or because homeless are either on the tracks or too close to the tracks. (2) At around 10 a.m. most days, the South Dakota Air National Guard (I think!) fly their jets through the skies of Sioux Falls. If you are a late night worker, those jets will definitely wake you each and every time! (3) There are many homeless and addicts in this area. Expecially in the summer time, they will travel and or 'camp' in the brush behind the apartments adjacent to the train tracks. [Bishop Dudley Hospitality House, and other social service type agencies, are located to the east of the river within walking distance of the apartments.] (4) The police department maintains a frequent presence in this area around Fawick park. They seem to be 'on top of things.'

My daughter walked to her job. She often worked in the evening, getting off at 11 p.m., 12 a.m., 1 a.m. She worked at local restaurants.

She never felt threatened walking to or from her workplace. However, she maintained an air of alertness, paying attention to anybody around as she walked.

Most of the apartments near the USPS are affordable. I've seen several USPS workers walking from the apartments to their job on 4th.

I'm sorry this response is so late relative to your posting. Perhaps this will help someone else!
The location the OP was talking about is the main USPS sorting building on North 4th Avenue, between Benson Rd and Hwy. 38 Alt.

You've got good points about the downtown post office, which is primarily a customer service and collection point now.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 7,957 times
jmgg: You are so right! I failed at my map reading skills .... then again, who reads a map now-a-days?

Thanks for straightening me out - and my apologies to the original poster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls