Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 PM

10 posts, read 36,553 times
So home prices are up? Rest of the country has declining prices...any effect in SBC yet? How is the overall economy from y'alls POV?

Also, like others, I wouldnt mind some property any other considerations with that in mind?

I will definately check out Savoie's, sounds authentic...and I can keep my nose to myself.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,469 times
I just remembered another restaurant. I can't remember if it is more of a cajun place or a creole place, but it certainly focuses on south Louisiana food: Don's Seafood on Kings Highway. I'm not too big of a fan, they use a very, very, very dark roux for their gumbo, which I think ends up being a little too overpowering. But it's pretty popular.

Alas, though, I just discovered some bad news. I was looking for a website to link you to, and I came across a news article that the restaurant closed last summer. Can anyone substantiate that? If it's true, then it's a real shame. Don's was a relic of old Shreveport, had been in business a long, long, time. Now I guess you're stuck with Ralph & Kackoo's in Old Bossier...

If you do go to Ralph & Kackoo's (it's actually not too bad), whatever you do, do not get distracted and end up at Pancho's Mexican Restaurant! An all-you-can-eat mexican buffet may sound like a great idea, and it probably would be great using someone else's culinary skills, it is the best way I know of to get the most God-awful heartburn and indigestion in the world.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
I just remembered another restaurant. I can't remember if it is more of a cajun place or a creole place, but it certainly focuses on south Louisiana food: Don's Seafood on Kings Highway. I'm not too big of a fan, they use a very, very, very dark roux for their gumbo, which I think ends up being a little too overpowering. But it's pretty popular.

Alas, though, I just discovered some bad news. I was looking for a website to link you to, and I came across a news article that the restaurant closed last summer. Can anyone substantiate that? If it's true, then it's a real shame. Don's was a relic of old Shreveport, had been in business a long, long, time. Now I guess you're stuck with Ralph & Kackoo's in Old Bossier...

If you do go to Ralph & Kackoo's (it's actually not too bad), whatever you do, do not get distracted and end up at Pancho's Mexican Restaurant! An all-you-can-eat mexican buffet may sound like a great idea, and it probably would be great using someone else's culinary skills, it is the best way I know of to get the most God-awful heartburn and indigestion in the world.
Yep, Don's closed last year. Don's and Ralph & Kackoo's are both restaurants who also have very successful locations in south Louisiana, so they both must be pretty good to the cajuns as well.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,359 times
gumbo dadys is the only cajun place I eat at around here and im originaly from right on the coast near lake charles

ralph & kackoos is disgusting.

ppl up here just slap some tonys on anything and call it cajun

Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 AM

768 posts, read 4,385,687 times
The guy who started Gumbo Daddy's was from Shreveport (you know, Texas annex); Ralph & Kacoo's started in New Orleans. I kind of think that speaks for itself.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
I ate at Gumbo Daddy's over on Youree which replaced the King Buffet and frankly it wasn't good. Maybe the one in the Boardwalk is better but I didn't care for Youree location at all.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM

16 posts, read 53,734 times
Have to say we really like PieWorks. It's kinda pricey for pizza but it's not your standard pizza. We've had a nice meal at Bella Fresca on Line Avenue. Wine Country has become a favorite but it seems pricey so it's more of a special occasion place.

I'm in southeast Shreveport and the average home has dropped in price. In the Ellerbe area, it seems like the 1970-1980 built homes are "bargains" compared to the new builds but they need updating. One the flip side the landscape is mature vs twig trees in the yard.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:32 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMan View Post
Hello y'all,

I was born and raised in New Orleans and have lived in Atlanta, Tulsa, Dallas, and now Wichita, KS. There is good and bad in each one of those places. In Wichita (Andover) its very safe, there are great schools, and if your a hunter...great deer & pheasants. But...it is always windy and it gets very COLD (2 degrees w 20mph wind kinda cold)! In the summers your in that baking dry 100 degree heat. It is classic Midwest, but we're from the South (wife from Mississippi).

Point being, everywhere...everything is a trade off.

So after 18 years living outside of Louisiana I am moving back. Proximity to family is our main issue but as always you go where the opportunity is. My family is mostly in New Orleans and my wife's in West Point, MS. We also have family in Lake Charles, BR, Alex, Lafayette and Memphis, TN. I will be based out of Shreveport and but will also cover Tyler & Longview, Texarkana, Monroe, and Alexandria.

I have 4 children (ages 5, 7 , 9, and 14) and their education and safety is obviously the priority. I hunt and fish, am active in sports, and go to church on Sundays. I love all kinds of music (from Classical and Jazz to Heavy Metal and Rap) and enjoy great food and wine. I love LSU and Saints football and Mixed Martial Arts. Don't know what kinda box that puts me in, but I think boxes are overrated. I feel comfortable around CEO's and street musicians, Uptown Sophisticates and CoonAss bar patrons.

I think its important to have a strong relationship with the community I live in. I feel it is very important to know and interact with your neighbors. I like to live comfortably but to me that means surrounded by great friends and neighbors, not isolated in some big pretentious house. So as far as housing if I'm looking at a ball park $350k, what area should I focus on?

I will start in April working during the week in town and spending weekends in Kansas till the end of May. So I will have plenty of time to check out the areas you suggest. Also, I will be visiting the area next week with the family. What would be a fun thing to do with kids on their first trip to town? Also can anyone reccomend some good family friendly LOCAL restaurants? I always opt for local places over the chains...better food, better people.

Thanks,
You must be a Railroader!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 53,734 times
Noticed you mentioned wine. Have to say the selections here are kinda limited. Lots of corporate CA wine. Got hooked on small CA producers so it's annoying. It's been hard to find recommends from Wine Library that are supposedly easy to find. However, LA has fairly liberal shipping laws so it's been easy to get favorites shipped here.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 11,328 times
I would have to agree with SBCMetroGuy about the South Highlands neighborhood. Very nice, safe, beautiful neighborhood in an older part of town. It's right in the center of everything so you shouldn't have to drive too far to get where you need to go, as well, as opposed to living out in North Bossier or South Shreveport or some of the sprawling (and IMHO cookie-cutter) outlying areas.

I believe you could probably get a nice home in the $350K range, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City