Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
I stand pat on what I stated earlier about Shreveport and it's integration. If some of you folks don't think it is, then I would really like to see the cities you mention and judge for myself whether they are integrated or not. I would have to see it to believe it.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Likewise, my father-in-law lives in your neck of the woods (Peoria) and I always enjoy visiting there. Thanks for the kind words.
Seriously, the only thing I found I did not like in Shreveport is a couple of the chain restaurants I patrronized didn't have very good food. All and all it is a dream city compared to New Orleans. The scenery and parkway, and stores are wonerdful I didn't have a problem finding a place to park. I wasted far too much money vising nothing. New Orleans is a gholst town. , On the other hand I never felt I did not get my monies worth in Shreveport even when I gambled. I always fetl welcome and well attended.

You need to ocme back to Peoria and check out the riverfront plaza. Fulton and Mason Counties opened 6000 acres of reclaimed land for hunting, camping and fishing, and are on schedule fo open another 8k before they are finished.

Good stuff happening in both cities. .

Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM

768 posts, read 4,388,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Seriously, the only thing I found I did not like in Shreveport is a couple of the chain restaurants I patrronized didn't have very good food. All and all it is a dream city compared to New Orleans. The scenery and parkway, and stores are wonerdful I didn't have a problem finding a place to park. I wasted far too much money vising nothing. New Orleans is a gholst town. , On the other hand I never felt I did not get my monies worth in Shreveport even when I gambled. I always fetl welcome and well attended.

You need to ocme back to Peoria and check out the riverfront plaza. Fulton and Mason Counties opened 6000 acres of reclaimed land for hunting, camping and fishing, and are on schedule fo open another 8k before they are finished.

Good stuff happening in both cities. .
Is the riverfront plaza the area with Hooters and Joe's Crab Shack? If so, I've been there and liked it. I was last in Peoria back in May and hope to go back this year... and of course, to Chicago as well. That's my second home, afterall! My father-in-law used to live in Champaign, so I've gotten to known Illinois well over the past 8 years.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
Default Old story

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I think there are rednecks everywhere. I even read a story about some guy in Los Angeles who tied a bunch of helium balloons to a lawn chair complete with a cooler full of beer. He floated right over LAX. If that doesn't qualify as redneck then I don't know what would.
Years ago, I saw that story on a gene pool reject site and thought it was hilarious. It still is This isn't a redneck; he's a crazy drunk. Did it on a dare.

Last edited by linicx; 02-17-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: ed9t

Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 AM

399 posts, read 974,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North1 View Post
I moved to Shreveport from CA after having grown up in the Midwest. How long does it take to adjust to the area? Right now I'm pretty much in shock and ready to move out of the south but my husband's job will have us here for several years. Any suggestions for adjusting faster? What has shocked me is the segregation/racism, the sexism, homophobia and ultra religious conservatism. I guess I became a liberal somewhere along the way!
You might not adjust, sorry to say. I was born and raised in Bossier City and moved to Austin, TX in my early 20s. The first time I came back to Shreveport/Bossier to visit, I thought "How in the world did I ever live here?" And I've had the same thought every other time I've been back. I haven't been back in a few years now - honestly, even a 3-day visit to the area made me too miserable, for all the reasons you cite plus a few more.

If you're a spiritual person, there are (or at least there were) some liberal-type spirituality groups in Shreveport - a Unity church, as well as Unitarian, and I believe a Course in Miracles study group - you might meet some more open-minded people there that you could surround yourself with while you're living there. That might make it more bearable if you're going to be there for a while.

You certainly have my sympathy.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
Well Mint, Shreveport does not offer the young active single person much as you know. It's fine for young families and middle aged and older when a person really wants to settle down. Being the conservative city it is, it's not a good fit for more liberal and moderate people. I don't think it will ever change although many of us hold on to that hope.

I must say though, for you folks reading this, if you like fishing and hunting then this is your place! I have known many people who have moved from other parts of the country down here so they could. 12 months of fishing and of course a hunting season depending on what district you live in. Nobody will harass fisherman and hunters down here, the game is plentiful, and the weather is conducive to these outdoor activities.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM

399 posts, read 974,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Well Mint, Shreveport does not offer the young active single person much as you know. It's fine for young families and middle aged and older when a person really wants to settle down. Being the conservative city it is, it's not a good fit for more liberal and moderate people. I don't think it will ever change although many of us hold on to that hope.
You said a mouthful! I really think Shreveport could be a great city, but the conservatism is too stifling (I agree that will probably never change), and there isn't much diversity (economically, ethnically, religiously, or otherwise). It's great if you're fairly conservative and Christian (preferably evangelical), and/or want to raise children in that environment; hunting & fishing is great if you like that (LA license plates don't say "Sportsman's Paradise" for nothing). However, if you're not into any of the above, I can't imagine you'll ever be able to do more than tolerate the place.

Someone like me certainly sticks out like a sore thumb. Despite having grown up there, I never felt comfortable. I moved when I was 21 (I'm now 30); if I had it to do over again, I would've left right after high school - those three years between 18-21 when I still lived there were truly some of the most miserable for me.

I feel badly for anyone who moves there and doesn't fit the demographic and isn't readily able to leave, but maybe the OP can find a way to at least tolerate her stay there.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM

I agree. I'm not into hunting and fishing and have always felt I didn't "belong" here amongst all the outdoorsy people. But it does have its advantages, I suppose, in that Shreveport-Bossier is now the all-time record holder for the most people to attend Bassmaster Classic events. We had 137,000 people visit both the Shreveport Convention Center and CenturyTel Center between Friday and Sunday. The last record attendance was set in New Orleans back in 2003, at 82,000! With all the population in south Louisiana, I was excited to see that we outpaced them in this... though Mardi Gras undoubtedly helped with those numbers.

Anyway, I don't worry too much about not fitting in since I keep to myself and tend to spend most of my time on the computer anyway. But I do feel that somewhere like Austin would probably be a better fit for someone like me.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Anyway, I don't worry too much about not fitting in since I keep to myself and tend to spend most of my time on the computer anyway. But I do feel that somewhere like Austin would probably be a better fit for someone like me.
Don't bother with Austin. I have an Aunt there, which is why that was my first move when I left Shreveport, but it's really not all that it's cracked up to be. Lake Travis is amazing in May and June, but after that it's too hot to be enjoyable. And 6th street is cool the first time that you go, and after that you just get really tired of a bunch of 23 year old date rapers waiting to happen.

Austin is great as a vacation spot, but when you live there for more than about 6 months you start to realize the hypocrisy of the city. Everyone there acts really liberal and green and healthy, but only because that's "cool" right now and they want other people to think that's how they are (if that makes any sense). I would move back to Shreveport before going back to Austin.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
...and after that you just get really tired of a bunch of 23 year old date rapers waiting to happen.
I know you were being serious here, but reading this made me laugh so hard. I can just picture that scene... and as much as I hate to laugh at rape, that statement was too funny!

Thanks for the post, very informative. I personally believe Austin to be overrated and prefer Dallas or Houston but that is because I really like HUGE cities (not that Austin is exactly small). I think my attraction to Austin is based purely in the technological side of things. As I relate better to computers than to people, I know I would enjoy that aspect of the city. This is the same reason I used to want to live in Palo Alto, CA or that entire region more often called Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City