Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, how about the KO-KO_MO drive-in with the squawky speakers? They served their legendary shrimp baskets to thousands over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 PM

714 posts, read 2,932,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post

There was also another newstand around Lousiaina ave near Milam called Goodman news I think.
That was Gilmore News, I think in the 1970s it was next to Newts restaurant, and Brittain's Pawnshop. I spent many a lunch hour at those three places.

I like Lodestro's clothing store too (downtown) when I lived in S'port.

There was a drive in theater on Texas in Bossier, where the mall now is. I think it was damaged when the tornado hit in 1978-79.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 PM

42 posts, read 186,393 times
Centenary area in the 50's:

Pak-A-Sak, Keep Happy, Horton's Drug Store, Bamboo Restaurant, Ortego's Pharmacy, Centenary Florist, Riley's Gulf Station, McNees Restaurant, Jack and Jill Children's Shop, Cobb's Barbeque (the old stone building on E. Kings Hwy), Dairy Queen (Centenary and Washington St.), the original Lewis Pharmacy, Centenary Hardware, and like mentioned earlier...KoKoMo! And don't forget Centenary Theater. A group of us went there almost every Saturday!

Last edited by Ranrich; 09-25-2009 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
That was Gilmore News, I think in the 1970s it was next to Newts restaurant, and Brittain's Pawnshop. I spent many a lunch hour at those three places.

I like Lodestro's clothing store too (downtown) when I lived in S'port.

There was a drive in theater on Texas in Bossier, where the mall now is. I think it was damaged when the tornado hit in 1978-79.
Thanks for the correction. Yes it was Gilmore's. Somethimes those names just leave me. I think the drive in was the Don. My first wife and I went to the movies there once and it was pretty ....well.. Yeah, that December tornado took care of it and now Pierre Bossier Mall sits on the former Don property.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranrich View Post
Centenary area in the 50's:

Pak-A-Sak, Keep Happy, Horton's Drug Store, Bamboo Restaurant, Ortego's Pharmacy, Centenary Florist, Riley's Gulf Station, McNees Restaurant, Jack and Jill Children's Shop, Cobb's Barbeque (the old stone building on E. Kings Hwy), Dairy Queen (Centenary and Washington St.), the original Lewis Pharmacy, Centenary Hardware, and like mentioned earlier...KoKoMo! And don't forget Centenary Theater. A group of us went there almost every Saturday!
Who can forget Pak-A-Sak with those BBQ sandwiches? And Icees? Wasn't Pizza King around then? To my knowledge, Centenary Hardware is still there, a real old fashioned hardware store. Cobb's has had several lives since then; its now a tattoo parlor (Lord help)

Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,030 times
TG&Y Stores
Bayers on Louisiana had great cheeseburgers
All the great "parking" places and the cliffs on Cross Lake?
Dixie Dolls
Chicken Delight (they delivered)
Cuban Liquor also delivered
Downtown movie theatres (picture shows)
Trolley
All the nice downtown shops - Selber's, Rubenstein's, Smart Shop and on and on
Picadilly Piza

I could go on and on

Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Who can forget Pak-A-Sak with those BBQ sandwiches? And Icees? Wasn't Pizza King around then? To my knowledge, Centenary Hardware is still there, a real old fashioned hardware store. Cobb's has had several lives since then; its now a tattoo parlor (Lord help)
I may be wrong, but I don't think Pizza King was around in the 50's. There was a Picadilly Pizza in the downtown area somewhere (maybe on Louisiana?) but if I remember correctly, Pizza Inn on Youree Drive, next door to the Carousel was one of the first real "pizza joints" around. It opened about 1964 or '65. Speaking of the Carousel, it was one of the most popular watering holes around. And the Cub (still in business). Before Shreve City, there was a golf driving range where Wendy's is now located. Across the street was Bowlero East bowling alley. Before Pierremont Mall was built, Lambert Nursery and Gardens had a beautiful park-like area. Wow, Shreveport has changed!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Maybe not on Pizza King. Picadilly was around long ago but its location on Louisiana av made it kind of inaccessible. I remember Shakeys near McDonalds and Pasquales out on W 70th.

Johnny of Johnny's Pizza claims to be the first Pizza restaurant in North Louisiana around 1966 but I'm sure Shreveport had some before that.

I remember that golf driving range. We used to go and shoot buckets of balls like when I was aabout 11, 12 or so. Never did take up golf however.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 AM

714 posts, read 2,932,154 times
There was a neat little hamburger joint downtown, on McNeil, between Milam and Crockett. I think the name was JDs. One man operation if I recall correctly. It was in a little trailer-sized silver building in the late 1970s-early 1980s that I know about.

Wasn't there some cafeteria-style buffet in Pieermont Mall, Morrisons?

Smith's Cross Lake - I took my wife there on our first date almost 30 years ago.

Casten's on North Market was good for lunch and or breakfast.

Griff's Hamburgers on Linwood has a good cheap burger.

I'm thinking about food, it must be near lunchtime.............

Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
TG&Y Stores
Downtown movie theatres (picture shows)
Trolley
All the nice downtown shops - Selber's, Rubenstein's, Smart Shop and on and on

I could go on and on
You brought back some great memories! The Strand, The Saenger, The Joy...25 cent admission...and the trolleys (trollies?). I remember the driver having to get out and replace the electrical connection to the overhead wires several times. Don't forget the Fashion, M.Levy, Palais Royal and all the jewelry stores around Texas St...Given's, Peacocks, Zales, Dales, Flournoy, Mounce, Leonards...and there was a great toy store down the street from Selber's. Was it Weisman's Toys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City