Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 11:42 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

https://jaspasjourney.wordpress.com/...#comment-43505

Our friends went here the other day and brought back a bag of various seafood for us. When we peered into the bag, we didn't notice anything but when we took it out later that day, it stunk to high heaven. Now our fridge stinks. We re-wrapped it and put in the freezer until we could figure out what to do with it. The garbage men wouldn't take it and our friends might notice it (community trash receptacle).

This is the reason we don't shop at any outdoor markets---no refrigeration, no ice on any of the seafood/meat. Just lying out there on hot counters. After all, it's 85 to 90 at this time of year. I can't figure out why any non-local would buy unrefrigerated fish or meat or chicken as the locals do. Maybe their guts can take it, but we are repulsed. It may be "fresh off the boat" but how long was the boat out there (no ice on the boat, lol) and how long sitting on that hot counter?

I don't know what to tell our friends if they asked how we liked it. "Well, we froze it...." we can say honestly, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 12:48 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I think you should tell them not to get you any more.

Old 05-11-2023, 12:59 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
https://jaspasjourney.wordpress.com/...#comment-43505

Our friends went here the other day and brought back a bag of various seafood for us. When we peered into the bag, we didn't notice anything but when we took it out later that day, it stunk to high heaven. Now our fridge stinks. We re-wrapped it and put in the freezer until we could figure out what to do with it. The garbage men wouldn't take it and our friends might notice it (community trash receptacle).

This is the reason we don't shop at any outdoor markets---no refrigeration, no ice on any of the seafood/meat. Just lying out there on hot counters. After all, it's 85 to 90 at this time of year. I can't figure out why any non-local would buy unrefrigerated fish or meat or chicken as the locals do. Maybe their guts can take it, but we are repulsed. It may be "fresh off the boat" but how long was the boat out there (no ice on the boat, lol) and how long sitting on that hot counter?

I don't know what to tell our friends if they asked how we liked it. "Well, we froze it...." we can say honestly, lol.
Yes, fish needs to be taken care of very carefully (any meat really)... on the boat, en route to the market, at the market, and on the trip to your house... just like you say, if it's just sitting there for hours, not on ice, at any stage, it will be compromised... bacteria multiply rapidly in warmer temperatures

Old 05-11-2023, 01:12 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think you should tell them not to get you any more.
This. Tell them thanks for the thought, but that you prefer to hand pick all your cuts of fish/meat personally.

Old 05-12-2023, 05:11 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Most of that crap sits on a boat for days as it is. I fished for a living offshore in the gulf and fresh fish don't smell.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:08 AM

6,969 posts, read 4,809,652 times
You can’t put it in a black garbage bag and throw it in the dumpster? Or trash receptacle?

Old 05-12-2023, 07:12 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
I don't know what to tell our friends if they asked how we liked it.
The truth.
And mention that you don't want them to get you any more.
Otherwise, this could become a regular thing!

It is obvious from that link that many people like to shop there, and more than likely without incident. Perhaps the problem is not with the market, but with how your friends handled the seafood before getting it to you.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The truth.
And mention that you don't want them to get you any more.
Otherwise, this could become a regular thing!

It is obvious from that link that many people like to shop there, and more than likely without incident. Perhaps the problem is not with the market, but with how your friends handled the seafood before getting it to you.
So are you saying YOU would buy at that place? Hot, full of flies....would any of you shop here?

We didn't ask them to get us anything, they just did it. I won't go to any outdoor market no matter what. Even if "right off the boat" -- how long was it on that unshaded, no-ice boat?

There's no Dumpsters here and our trash platform is used by us and them (nobody else here right now), so they'd notice/smell it sitting there waiting for the garbage men who come whenever they want with no schedule.

But yeah, our friends admitted they had no ice for their part of the hours-long journey to get home. What on earth were they thinking!

Old 05-12-2023, 01:41 PM

639 posts, read 377,751 times
Yes, I would and often do when travelling in Peru, Ecuador, Chile, etc. That is what is available, and hundreds of millions of people do so often and are just fine. If I'm not catching it myself while there, that's what is available. I could choose to go hungry as an alternative.

Old 05-12-2023, 01:59 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
So are you saying YOU would buy at that place?
I did not see where I said that at all.

Quote:
But yeah, our friends admitted they had no ice for their part of the hours-long journey to get home. What on earth were they thinking!
indeed! They should have put any purchase in a cooler of ice immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products