Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 01:29 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

That's very upsetting - l do admit that.
But your stove is 99.99% clean = IT'S clean! Don't worry about it anymore.
Great job!

Back to the rice cooker. It seems that your stove is not leveled. Stuff shouldn't slide off the top surface.
When it was full of fat and sticky - your cooker was "glued" to it. But how was frying on the frying pan? Was your food not evenly pan fried because the oil wasn't covering the pan evenly?

With rice cooking there is a method that never failed me:
2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Boil the water, lightly salted (you can use bouillon to season), add rice. Stir. Wait till the water is all absorbed. Turn off the heat. Add a spoon of butter on the top. Cover the pot. Wrap in old towel. Bring it to your bed, cover with a pillow and wrap with your comforter/blanket. Check on it in 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
It should be still very warm and ready to eat. Very fluffy. Soft. Never burn.
Always perfect

Don't want to try it?
Here is a budget rice cooker that is highly rated.
https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewa...ref=mp_s_a_1_4
It cooks rice very well. And more. What else to wish for?

Even cheaper AND with great reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/GAU-00011-Ele...ref=mp_s_a_1_8
This one only cooks rice.

I still recommend the AirFryer for cooking in Summer. Put on the card. Make payments. It's worth the money. And it will be yours to take with you when you move.

Last edited by elnina; 04-01-2023 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 11:43 AM

6,096 posts, read 2,717,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Great job!

Back to the rice cooker. It seems that your stove is not leveled. Stuff shouldn't slide off the top surface.
When it was full of fat and sticky - your cooker was "glued" to it. But how was frying on the frying pan? Was your food not evenly pan fried because the oil wasn't covering the pan evenly?

2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Boil the water, lightly salted (you can use bouillon to season), add rice. Stir. Wait till the water is all absorbed. Turn off the heat. Add a spoon of butter on the top. Cover the pot. Wrap in old towel. Bring it to your bed, cover with a pillow and wrap with your comforter/blanket. Check on it in 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Always perfect

Don't want to try it?

I still recommend the AirFryer for cooking in Summer. Put on the card. Make payments. It's worth the money. And it will be yours to take with you when you move.
I can vouch an air fryer is awesome when you don't wanna make a mess on the stove cooking. It's easy to clean up and you can cook pretty much anything in it. I cook pork chops, steak, and burgers, I even cook hard-boiled eggs in it and they come out perfect.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:12 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Great job!

Always perfect

Don't want to try it?

I don't take my rice to bed with me, but that's just me.

(FWIW, most rice is a 2/1 ratio water/rice, but Jasmine rice is the outlier at 1.5/1. I messed up a couple times with it myself.)

I never quite understood the fascination with rice cookers. Rinse off the starch and arsenic, 2/1 in a pot on low, after a while dig a hole with the handle of a wooden spoon to see where the liquid water level is, when it gets to about 1/4" cut off the heat and cover. I've got too many countertop appliances and pots and pans as it is.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Can this be used inside of a microwave, too?
I wouldn't mike damage the inside powder coat. For that we use the Dawn Powerwash Spray.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:57 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I agree with the use of EasyOff! Great stuff!

The burners and the oven rack you probably need to scrap with a knife first. To get the soft fat off.
Then spray it with EasyOff. Leave it on till the foam turns brown. Wipe it off.
When you remove the top layer of the nasty sticky stuff, repeat the EasyOff. Remove the next layer till the surface is not sticky anymore, just hard, burned to the surface fat.
Then....
Get a BarKeepersFriend powder (not the liquid). Put some in a bowl, mix with little water to make a thick paste the consistency of toothpaste.
Apply generous on the affected areas. Leave it on. Keep it moist with a touch of wet sponge. Wait 2-3 hrs.
Get a heavy duty Scotch Bright sponge and remove the last layer of burned fat. It should get off easily. Repeat as needed.
This is, in my opinion and experience, the best way to remove old, dry, burned to the surface fat.
It works like a charm.

You can use the BarKeeperFriend paste on a microwave too.

After everything is sparkling clean, don't wait till it gets nasty again. Wipe off fat splatters after each use. It takes just few seconds and doesn't require hard work.

Try it and report back.
Thank you! BarkeepersFriend paste did a great job on the inside of the glass door of the airfryer and I shared the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products