Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 03:40 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,388,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Wegmans!!! Thank goodness they finally came to NC! And when I move next year, I'll be deeper into Wegmans territory!

Where I live now, we've got a great convenient assortment of Wegmans, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Lowes Food (listed in the order of my preference). We've also got Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but they aren't regional. I have to say, I like Publix, but I don't understand the hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
When I lived in New Jersey, Wegman's was the tour de force. I had no idea the chain extended into the Carolinas! Learning a lot here.
We visited family in Fredericksburg, Va last year and went to their Wegman's for supplies. OMG!!! By far the best grocery store I have ever visited.
We use Ingles here in Tennessee but they are building a new Publix near us and I plan to use them but if Wegman's ever build a store in Knoxville it WILL be our grocery store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 04:34 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
It's been a really long time, but i loved Woodman's in Madison, WI.

Lots of choices, good prices and great service.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:55 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,499 times
Wegman's is the best grocery store ... although i also love Trader joes!

Old 11-24-2022, 08:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
DiCiccos raises their prices without marking the prices on the shelf. I bought a packaged mixed salad for $4.99,
purchased it again a few days later and it was $7.99, I got the big surprise when I looked at the receipt at home.

I used to get the 1/3 platter of eggplant parm for $19.
00, now It's $29.00. For those who can afford those prices the store is great, I shop elsewhere now.
Well DeCicco is quality. I guess they pricing themselves for those that can afford.

Old 11-24-2022, 09:59 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well DeCicco is quality. I guess they pricing themselves for those that can afford.
In addition to Uncle G., Long Island also has Ivarone Brothers. Long Island does not lack for Specialty Italian Food supermarkets.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:57 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If anyone from eastern Mass. comes on here, maybe they'll tell the story of Market Basket. I've moved away but how I miss that place. It's legendary. When I still lived out there we (we, the people) went on strike, refusing to buy from MB because one of the owners was greedy enough to be selling it while his kind hearted brother wanted to keep the stores going.

The stores lost a lot of money and eventually the greedy brother caved and the good brother bought him out (iirc.) The stores are nonpretentious, the employees are wonderful and helpful, they will order anything for you, prices are good, and it's FAMILY OWNED, not a big corporation. The owner tours the stores and talks with the customers, he has helped employees who are sick or need some money for college, and the employees are treated so well and paid well enough, plus they can buy company stock, that they often work there for life. In that part of New England it's Market Basket.
Arthur S and Arthur T ( cousins)
One was well liked … and when the other was top dog, he let the popular one go… and all
The stores went on strike to get the popular Arthur back… and eventually it did happen

Market basket( demoulas). Has around 70 stores
And they were smart initially… owning the real estate and being the anchor to a mall
They are the landlords- receiving rent incomes from the other businesses
And also eventually owning the store out-right
Huge operating advantage over competitors paying big bucks for leased space!!

Old 11-25-2022, 07:18 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Texas has H-E-B and cult following
H-E-B (once again!) is named top U.S. grocery retailer and is ranked #1 in an annual consumer survey.
It's not "upscale" and prices are very reasonable.

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...mazon-27986899
I'm wracking my brain to see if I can remember seeing this store when I visited San Antonio 6 years ago. A relative lived off of Borgfeld Drive at the time, and I would have passed it quite a few times during the month I was there. At any rate, it does sound like a very nice store!

Old 11-25-2022, 07:37 AM

30,158 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Trader Joe's can't be beat especially now with price and quality. Thankfully there are several in my area.
I agree Trader Joe's is unique, high quality and low prices.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:47 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Down in Virginia, there is nothing as wonderful as DeCicco.

I order Italian food from Pennsylvania Macaroni now - https://www.pennmac.com. Still, it's not the same as running into DeCicco's for fresh mozzarella or real aged provolone cut from a wheel.

When you pay for shipping, anything from DeCicco looks cheap!

Uncle' G's moved into Yorktown NY in late 2019/early 2020 - right at the start of the pandemic.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:00 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,560,555 times
I used to like Food Lion in the southeast.. I know they moved north to some extent, but..
Always liked Ralph's in LA (I think they're basically regional).

But my favorite name/logo for a regional grocery is still Piggly Wiggly (upper South- VA NC TN, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products