Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 04:27 PM

9,492 posts, read 5,273,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I recommend a refer that has the least amount of computers/sensors.

There's dependability in simplicity.
Truth. We have a 32 yr old Sears Kenmore frig/freezer that we carted to VT from CA. I don't even think we've ever had one problem with it!! It sits in the garage and holds extra beverages and overflow frozen items in the freezer. And it is still going strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 07:49 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,068,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Today, Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands and makes Kenmore for Sears.
I would stay away from Whirlpool products simply because they are not a reputable company.

We bought a Whirlpool fridge, and immediately filed a complaint with the consumer fraud division with the Washington state Attorney General office for false advertising. We bought the fridge mail order.

Whirlpool said "sue us". The Attorney General's office asked us if we wanted them to sue Whirlpool on our behalf.

We said sure. The Attorney General's office sent Whirlpool a letter saying "ok, we are going to sue".

The next letter from Whirlpool to us was asking what fridge we wanted to make amends with us.

Would you do business with a company like Whirlpool??

Old 11-11-2022, 07:11 AM

453 posts, read 303,772 times
Working in other people's homes and from my friends, it doesn't seem to matter it's a crap shoot.

But one time I read that the Samsung nameplate on the range I wanted wore off right away and looked unsightly and nobody would cover the "cosmetic" and that was on many reviews so with my personality I KNEW that would make me nuts so I changed brands. Reviews go both ways but when you see a recurring weird complaint like that you know it's legit.

So my decision would be based on the service warranty and buying the extended.

Things to consider:

I gave away my brand new Samsung bottom freezer in 2020 after just two years because it drove me crazy. The VIBRATIONS, HUMMING and BUZZING, fan noises, and motor constantly cutting on and off and on and off. PLUS it has two "motors" so to speak. Probably fans or something called twin something. Sometimes if you slammed the freezer compartments or wheeled the thing in and out or shook it it would stop for a while lol.

I hated it when I got it but worked outside the home all day and night but during the pandemic I wanted to toss it out of the window since there was no escape from hearing it and no fixing it.

So I know you're not interested in this as a recommendation but just to finish the story I got an old school Hotpoint with no ice maker and it was quiet. I also was happy to get rid of the glass shelves where if you spill something it goes behind the plastic and you can never get it out. This basic model has wire shelves which are good for me eating a lot of produce anyway.

I sold that condo and bought a new one with something called a ROPER owned by Whirlpool and it's OLD manufacture date 2007! . The best fridge I ever owned LOL but again, no bells or whistles. But it's TOTALLY SILENT and PERFECT temperature calibration. You can't hear it if you try.

So if you're fussy like me about annoying sounds etc, get the warranty IF it will cover that.

My downstairs neighbor bought a brand new washer and dryer during the pandemic and the washing machine was SO LOUD I could hear it running from my unit with concrete in between and I NEVER hear her otherwise. It was actually hilariously annoying when we would sit there and say WTH. You LITERALLY had to STOP TALKING or shut it off to finish your conversation. (it was in the kitchen behind louver doors) She had to keep it at the time because of availability and supply chain.

Also in the 1990s I bought a high end bottom freezer for $1200 and the compressor failed ONE DAY before the warranty expired so that's why I always buy the extended UNLESS I am moving or something and won't have the headache as in my last condo when I put the Hotpoint in I knew I was selling. I figured the buyers could upgrade it if they wanted. But it was actually a good choice, functionally, AFAIK.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 11-11-2022 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-11-2022, 07:32 AM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times
I have a Samsung French Door, with no ice or water through the door. The ice maker is in the bottom. I love it and it’s been running fine for about 4 years now. The only criticism I have is that the lettering on the inside has rubbed off and a few of the bins handles have cracked. This hasn’t affected the performance.

Be sure to check at Lowe’s, because it seems like they always have some good appliance sales. Like, I also got a floor model Bosch dishwasher for $444.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,371,112 times
I have a GE and I would not recommend it. The first one they sent me didn't work from the start---not at all. They sent me 1,000 parts for a technician to come replace them all after someone came and was like, "Yeah, it's not working." They were giving us the runaround, between people who said they would replace the refrigerator and people who said they wouldn't. I filed a complaint and finally received a new unit. I guess I was supposed to be cool with them replacing a million parts on a brand new refrigerator?

Getting the plastic wrapping off is nearly impossible. And to me it's loud.

My coworker's friend had one that lasted just over the year mark and it died.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:26 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,939,627 times
I ended up going with the LG from Costco. There was a sale that made it about $500 cheaper than the cheapest Frigidaire, so I've priced the lower reliability into the fridge. The KitchenAid seemed nice, but at what ended up being $2700 more it was impossible for me to justify.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:20 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,451,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would steer away from any fridge with ice dispenser on the door. Those break first and are costly to repair.
Plus there is an extra cost for filters and maintenance. The water quality is quite disappointing because the filtration system is too basic .
The dispenser takes out a lot of space inside the door.

I have the French door style and very happy with it.
Having ice and water in the door is a must for me, because we use it all the time. In the 25+ years we've had fridges with that feature, we've never had an issue.

I will say that Samsung is notorious for issues with them, but we've never had a Samsung.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:50 AM

6,137 posts, read 2,757,071 times
When it comes to Fridges I stick with GE.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:09 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,519,183 times
I have a plain Frigidaire from Sears for 20 years,no problem,but I have to replace those plastic trays or what you call it attached to the door?

Old 06-06-2023, 09:48 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,826,955 times
Our subzero fridge has been a beast. I know this brand isn't on your list, but I have 3 of them now and they've never let me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products