Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 09:19 AM

12,814 posts, read 15,105,865 times

Advertisements

I hate paying $20-25 getting batteries replaced in my watches. They don't even last that long either & I know to keep the watches you don't wear NOT ticking away so as to not use up the battery life. I have 1 watch that doesn't require batteries. I just have to wind it up & reset the time each time I wear it, which is no big deal. That's the way to go these days!

But I haven't been able to find watches like that these days. Anyone know any brands & stores to get them from of watches that req NO batteries? You just wind them up & set the time each day. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 10:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,803 posts, read 81,756,982 times
When I had watches with batteries, I was able to find them for $4 on E-bay, for a package of 6. Then I just changed them myself in 5 minutes. As for batter-less watches, they are still made by Seiko and others. Search "Mechanical Watches" on Amazon.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:03 AM

50,483 posts, read 64,364,027 times
I know that Rolex watches are self winding, but it’s a lot cheaper to just buy watch batteries every year or two.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,357,704 times
I agree wristwatch batteries are horrendously expensive, so I only keep a working battery in my primary wristwatch, which means I miss out on wearing the other wristwatches I own, love, and would like to wear reasonably often.

I did get around the cost of the battery to some extent, though. A few years ago the shop where I always take my wristwatch for battery changes offered me a "lifetime battery" for a significantly higher cost than I would normally pay. The deal was that if I bought it, they would replace it for as long as I owned the wristwatch and needed the battery replaced. I thought it was a good deal and accepted the offer.

I recall telling a friend about it, and she exclaimed in disbelief "you paid HOW MUCH for a battery?!?!?" Well, by this time, the cost of my "lifetime battery" has paid me back several times over, and I have never regretted it despite the high initial cost. I do not know if they still offer "lifetime batteries" or not, but if you an find a shop who offers it, I recommend you buy it if you plan to use the same wristwatch for quite a few years to come. I may some day try to buy lifetime batteries for two other wristwatches I own. The initial cost is steep, but as I said, it is a great deal over the long term.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:59 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,255,376 times
Watch batteries can be had for very reasonable prices a Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc. You can buy the battery and change it yourself. There is no need to pay someone else to change it. Just pop the back off and swap that puppy out.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:14 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,357,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Watch batteries can be had for very reasonable prices a Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc. You can buy the battery and change it yourself. There is no need to pay someone else to change it. Just pop the back off and swap that puppy out.
I do not doubt this is true. Do I personally want to do that to my wristwatch? No, I do not. I do not know what I am doing, and I prefer jewellers with the proper tools to do it expertly for me. That is my personal choice of course. Everyone is free to choose for himself/herself

Old 07-24-2022, 03:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,572,793 times
plenty of old watches on Ebay.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:17 AM

5,480 posts, read 2,136,370 times
I have many Armitrons and don't even remember the last time I had to replace a battery.

I also have a few Seiko COUTURA Solar watches...no battery

G-shock solar and Casio Ediface also don't need batteries

I think out of all my watches it's my Tissot Titanium that goes through batteries the most.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:04 AM

15,646 posts, read 26,345,843 times
Forever — Seiko Solar or Citizens Solar watches. I bought a small Seiko watch years ago, still going strong, still keeping time. You need to stick it in a window or under a light every once in a while.

My problem with watches is at this point watches appear to be statements and not time pieces. So all the watches are huge and clunky. I like my watches to be in the 26 to 28 mm range. That’s harder to find.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:11 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,981,209 times
I solved that problem by not owning any watches.

My cell phone has a clock. So does my car. In my home, my computer has a clock, my oven has a clock, and I have a couple of plug in clocks around the house. One has a battery backup. Hardly ever have to change the battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products