Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,785,701 times

Advertisements

Here's another look at the science of consumer tracking, one that reveals a few more details about the technology and the mindset behind it all than the users might like.

For those who are not aware, smartphones are closely tracked almost everywhere, including inside larger stores. The Google traffic map is largely based on tracking phones to calculate traffic speeds and generate the green-yellow-red-blood colored lane stripes. If you've paid attention, this highlighting has gotten a lot more detailed in the last year or two, which is just wonderful until you work it through: it's a result of big jumps in the accuracy and perseverance of tracking your cell phone.

I long assumed there was a link between traffic-tracking and digital billboards, as well as a more general use of the data for fixed billboards, but it seems that aspect has been a little primitive, until now. The article goes into considerable detail about how relative traffic speeds, time of day etc. are used to target the specific audience on the highway with digital signs.

Where it gets just a tad disturbing is not just that they discuss linking specific passers-by on the highway with specific other tracking in, say, Target stores, but that they toss it off so casually - 'oh, of course.'

The smartphone and its support infrastructure and the free access to the movements and actions of every single person who carries one must be a gift from the gods to the marketing industry... and a few others with even less benign intentions.

The writeup of the tech is interesting, and chilling - but the blithe attitudes of those who use it to maneuver consumer attitude is much more so.

Merry Christmas.

(One of my proudest moments was when I called this, and sent an AT&T press conference into chaos and other reporters scrambling to write fast enough... 20 years ago.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
I don't think I've noticed a billboard in at least 10 years if not longer. Sheeple do what sheeple do. The rest of us aren't so gullible.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't think I've noticed a billboard in at least 10 years if not longer. Sheeple do what sheeple do. The rest of us aren't so gullible.
Uh-huh. Get back to me when you understand how advertising works, let alone marketing.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Yeah. "Buy This!" "Subliminal messaging." "Targeted audience." I buy what I need and ignore all the static in the background. You obviously are not able to do this.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah. "Buy This!" "Subliminal messaging." "Targeted audience." I buy what I need and ignore all the static in the background. You obviously are not able to do this.
Tell Santy you really want a clue for Xmas.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:22 AM

50,963 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
So you don't carry a cell phone? We still have lots of billboards, I wasn't aware they were going away in other places.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So you don't carry a cell phone? We still have lots of billboards, I wasn't aware they were going away in other places.
There are times I will engage someone who chants, "Advertising doesn't affect me. I make my own choices. Only stupid people fall for that stuff."

And there are times I just sigh and go do something productive instead.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:31 AM

61,903 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There are times I will engage someone who chants, "Advertising doesn't affect me. I make my own choices. Only stupid people fall for that stuff."

And there are times I just sigh and go do something productive instead.
^^^ Good idea, because it's impossible, and unproven to state that EVERYONE, EVERYTIME is affected by advertising. Believe or not, there are people who do use their own mind, and judgment and common sense.
Advertising became so pervasive, obnoxious, intrusive and often plain stupid, that lots of people hate it more than love and learn to ignore it and block as good as possible. Most ads are insulting their intelligence and if advertisers are "dumbing things down" for their audience, they need to revisit their buyer personas and focus on how they want to be talked to.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Good idea, because it's impossible, and unproven to state that EVERYONE, EVERYTIME is affected by advertising. Believe or not, there are people who do use their own mind, and judgment and common sense.
Since I've never said anything of the kind and agree completely, there's not much to add. Other than that the idea that "advertising" is or must be or is supposed to be 100% effective - or effecting - is a nonsensical concept of the ignorant mind.

Those who claim to be uninfluenced and independent are invariably deluded, but it's difficult enough to discuss that in-person/IRL when you can pin down evasions and blind spots; since everyone's avatar online is perfect, it's a pointless it-said/it-said waste of time.

Marketing has been the most powerful shaping force of our culture, thinking, lives and politics since WWII. Anyone who thinks otherwise - or that such shaping is benign, irrelevant or beneficial - is the very model of a modern major "sheeple" - the dumb suckers they profess to despise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products