Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 09:11 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I’m just bored b/c winter, but I guess I’ll stop responding. It is polite to acknowledge & thank those who read & answer your queries.
Well, it really wasn't an answer, was it? At least you could have given me a review of what's good at the Harbor store and what isn't, even if it was just to say, don't buy those.

Rabritta's answer I don't think solves the problem due to cost, simplicity, and quickness to bail out.......but at least it was quite detailed and left few questions.

As it is, I've learned to check the thumbs for the good answers.....and start noting without comment the ones that aren't, at whatever level they are at, such as those that don't answer the question but go off marching to their own drummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
How about half the drama? You live in the hills in Texas not outside of Kabul. An emergency blanket in cammo and one in orange will do fine. A bottle of water, a granola bar will get you to the next mail box and civilization.
Isn't the world fortunate that it is not populated by lots of clones of ME.

I've already said I am not target user of this bail out tent.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:58 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Beats me who I am hiding from, won't know that till it happens.

Let us please not restate the project parameters. I said a dome tent, I meant a dome tent. I am picturing 2-4 people in the car.

So really, the first step is following the project parameters. How to camouflage a dome tent.

I'll consider the Outdoor Gear Review.THANK YOU!

It is responses like this that are useful, that address the question asked.
Well, a dome tent is a solution to a problem. In your Analysis of Alternatives, did you look at other solutions that are easier to hide? What is the environment to hide in? Will they be cooking? What about fires at night? Smoke? Cooking smells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This is a nice solution......in part.

It could work for "us" but say it is your mother, your sister or niece or cousine, your daughter. Someone who doesn't hold the Ranger manual as their Bible.....or has not held it at all. (though that might be a good idea, the Ranger manual, to have in a bail out bag).

It has to be something simple, light, (fool proof so they don't end up destroying it), quick to set up.

So I asked the question on the Net and got https://www.amazon.com/camo-rain-fly/s?k=camo+rain+fly (search term camouflage rain cover for a dome tent). Perhaps should have done that before....but not instead....for now, what is the opinion of this stuff? The GUARD SHIELD camo tarp looks worthy enough for a trial buy/run but thoughts?

Next question, is there a good one way approach for all environments, be it forest, snow, desert or whatever? Remember, we are talking about babes in the woods for our clients.

Finally, for now, I realize that most dome tents are probably not 4 seasons, but that's a different issue to handle by different means.
"Babes in the woods" is a completely different problem set. More likely "babes in the woods" will need help getting found more than they will hiding from someone unknown. Surviving the first 48 hours, esp depending on the environment, will be a bigger challenge than E&E for these untrained, inexperienced, "babes in the woods."

Old 01-23-2024, 04:33 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, a dome tent is a solution to a problem. In your Analysis of Alternatives, did you look at other solutions that are easier to hide? What is the environment to hide in? Will they be cooking? What about fires at night? Smoke? Cooking smells? ........
NEVERTHELESS, the question is........about camouflaging a dome tent.

All these other questions can be addressed in another thread. Please keep to the subject.

On all the notes about using a tarp. It may be what one is stuck with but it occurred to me last night, if so, then it is a point of trying to wrap a square surface around a sphere. There is a lot of wasted space. Doesn't anyone make a rain cover shaped for the job?

Old 01-23-2024, 06:02 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
C-D really could use a throwing-one's-hands-in-the-air-screaming-I-give-up! emoji right about now. After reading more of the ridiculous quibbling excuses you employ to dismiss all logical suggestions helpful folks here keep offering OP, the reality is you'll probably never achieve self-sufficiency, never bug out, nothing. Ever. What you probably will continue to do is sit in your rancho shuffling heaps of quasi-useful "gear" from place to place, driving yourself and the resident cats crazy ruminating about it but never reaching practical decisions.

OK, here's a quote from some of the vintage fantasy/SciFi you try to use to filter your view of the world. Wasn't it Yoda who said "Always with you, it cannot be done"? Maybe you should take those words to heart.

Do whatever you want with the stupid dome tent. May it bring you joy. Actually, l don't think you want ideas. What you do want is a time suck. You engage people in these futile discussions because they enable you to put off taking action in real life for another day.

As for prepping, to paraphrase an old quote, "I have met the enemy, and he is me." Except that you haven't met him, have you? You refuse to see him.

And finally, as for getting sucked into another useless thread, there's another saying about doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

I totally agree with this ^^^^

This silly, troll tread is now closed. (ugh...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.