Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times

Advertisements

It isn't the codes that are the issue in many areas, it's the bank. If you have to finance they want a building built so they can sell it if they have to and while alternative materials may be superior, the resale value is usually non-existent.

I looked at a earth house several years ago, well built, efficient, and I couldn't find a bank that would take the note.

That's the biggest drawback to alternative materials by far.

Structural codes, electrical, sewer, those are no big deal and can be easily met with whatever material is used, but if you can't get funding to build or a mortgage to buy, it's worthless except for cash price which is much lower than what the structure may be worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:31 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
Yes, I was referring to 95% of where the population lives, thanks for clarifying. However, as more and more entire states "adopt" building codes as a whole (not just counties) there are lots of extremely rural areas that now are under strict building codes and enforcement.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
Yeah, I'm fine with the banks requiring inspections and code built structure to obtain financing. They have to protect their investment and resale isn't the greatest. What I'm not fine with, is when it literally becomes illegal to live on your own land if you can not afford the bank financed code home.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
It isn't the codes that are the issue in many areas, it's the bank. If you have to finance they want a building built so they can sell it if they have to and while alternative materials may be superior, the resale value is usually non-existent.

I looked at a earth house several years ago, well built, efficient, and I couldn't find a bank that would take the note.

That's the biggest drawback to alternative materials by far.

Structural codes, electrical, sewer, those are no big deal and can be easily met with whatever material is used, but if you can't get funding to build or a mortgage to buy, it's worthless except for cash price which is much lower than what the structure may be worth.
I agree with you.

However even when banks want inspections it is still up to the locals.

Our in-laws bought a house with a full basement about five years ago, and they had a mortgage [inspections were done and they had insurance]. Two years ago the house sank into it's basement. When we looked, we found that there was no foundation under the house. The side walls of the basement were plaster over dirt. The corners of the house were set on piers. During heavy rains the ground gave way and it all collapsed. In theory there should have been a foundation under the house. In theory the city code enforcement should have noticed. In theory the bank's house inspector should have noticed.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Yes, I was referring to 95% of where the population lives, thanks for clarifying. However, as more and more entire states "adopt" building codes as a whole (not just counties) there are lots of extremely rural areas that now are under strict building codes and enforcement.
Enforcement means that your municipality needs to have enough revenue to pay salary to such a Code Enforcement Officer.

Building inspectors are not among the first bureaucrats to be hired when a town decides to start raising their taxes. You need to have a fairly high property tax before municipal revenue is enough to be hiring all of the various assorted bureaucrats that big cities have.

I have friends who live in bigger towns near me, where their Code Enforcement Officer has been on the job for decades and has not read a code book since they were hired.

When I was working, I owned a few apartment buildings, in various states. In the process, I had to deal with a bunch city building inspectors. Now that I have retired, we have sold off all of those properties. But sometimes we discuss getting another five or six-plex property. When we have looked at properties that are currently filled with tenants, I am shocked at the obvious code violations that I see. And these have been in cities that have the budget for Code Enforcement.

The town where I currently live does not have the budget for such. The same goes for the majority of townships in this state.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:32 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree with you.

However even when banks want inspections it is still up to the locals.

Our in-laws bought a house with a full basement about five years ago, and they had a mortgage [inspections were done and they had insurance]. Two years ago the house sank into it's basement. When we looked, we found that there was no foundation under the house. The side walls of the basement were plaster over dirt. The corners of the house were set on piers. During heavy rains the ground gave way and it all collapsed. In theory there should have been a foundation under the house. In theory the city code enforcement should have noticed. In theory the bank's house inspector should have noticed.
Caveat Emptor.

Always has been, always will be. The only person whose judgment you should trust, is you.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:05 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Places where you can build a cob/earthship/earthbag/strawbale/cordwood/yurt/bunker/geodesic dome/etc with little to no interference from bureaucrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
These quotes are describing two different things.

If you wish to build an alternative structure, you will need to keep it. If you must sell for whatever reason, you will have to finance it for the buyer, and price it commensurate to structures that are able to be financed by a bank. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Builders who claim that they want the "freedom" to build as they please without interference from bureaucrats, are in essence saying that they wish to be outside the system. The system makes its own rules, and if you are outside of it, you cannot opt to get back in when it suits you.

So go wherever you need to, to build that cob/earthbag/strawbale house of your dreams. But if you like it so well, you must keep it, as you are outside the system. The system will not finance it for you. You have opted not to play by their rules. Don't go crying when they won't give you their money.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Wa state was wrong for me, because of their taxes, and when I was there home and land prices were climbing very fast.

A nice area. But on my pension I cannot survive there.

Az, has very little water. I want to see growing life. You can survive there now, with all of our culture intact, but, when the grid goes down, and oil, and banking, Az may be able to support 1 person per 10 square-miles.

Today it supports a lot of people, and they love it. How many can survive there without all of this other stuff to support them?
Sub, agree that h20 & too many folks are worries here. Not mention the open borders. But I hate AZ for reasons said, so Maine stays high on list. WA is gone tho too, I'm w/ you there. Idaho & Montana stay decent but trying to vie them vs Maine. Your ideas?

I'd say overall prepper types avoid east coast totally, & west coast too (as in left coast, ie WA, OR or CA). But eastern WA & eastern OR -- & all MT, ID & WY are ok. Why'd you go to ME & not one of those I mentioned? I am from east coast so makes sense to go east as family remains there, yet west (upper plains, etc.) seems ok for overall prepper turf. I'm getting lost on all this jargon, haha.

My other issues is fed gov't owns all area tween east coast to almost MS River. All of OH, MI, IN, TN, KY, WV, GA, FL, Carolinas, VA, all mid-Atl. & all N. Eng. is dominated by fed lands. I know ME is lower in fed owned turf but again, vs the Upper Plains, it compares unfavorably. Ok, can't wait hear replies here, lol.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
So go wherever you need to, to build that cob/earthbag/strawbale house of your dreams. But if you like it so well, you must keep it, as you are outside the system. The system will not finance it for you. You have opted not to play by their rules. Don't go crying when they won't give you their money.
I think many also believe that just because it's an alternative building material that it can't be built in an area with codes. Many alternative building materials and methods are addressed in current codes or are referenced by engineering standards. In many areas, you can legally get a permit to build a corn cob home so long as the engineer/architect/home owner/contractor or whomever is doing the plans, provide the necessary structural calculations. Often the thinking appears to be not about codes, but simply having to adhere to a set standard. They are usually the same ones who object even when building a traditional stick built because they don;t want anyone telling them what to do, even if in the long run, it benefits them.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Only state septic rules apply to my property in Vermont, but that lack of codes varies widely in VT. My town has no zoning and no codes. The next town west of me has both strict zoning and codes. The next town north has some zoning and no codes. The town west of my property won't even let you camp on your own land for more than a certain number of days a year. My town doesn't really care what you do, they're too broke to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness