Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 PM

21 posts, read 31,303 times

Advertisements

I've recently had a long discussion about "the big one" that could potentially devastate the Puget Sound area in WA. I've been reading articles and trying to gain as much information as possible but would love your input! We're looking at moving to the Kitsap peninsula. What are your thoughts on earthquakes and tsunami risk? I'm having a hard time finding maps of risky areas. We have two small children and of course they are my first thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 12:04 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,937,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm1garvin View Post
I've recently had a long discussion about "the big one" that could potentially devastate the Puget Sound area in WA. I've been reading articles and trying to gain as much information as possible but would love your input! We're looking at moving to the Kitsap peninsula. What are your thoughts on earthquakes and tsunami risk? I'm having a hard time finding maps of risky areas. We have two small children and of course they are my first thought...
you shouldn't worry about tsunamis unless you plan to live on the water front, it's pretty rare for a tsunami in any part of the world to be higher than 50 feet, and most people in the Puget sound region live above 150ft and many parts go above 300ft, in either case if you are afraid of tsunamis live up on a hill. As for earthquakes, well many parts of the world experience them and they are still standing, so I wouldn't stress about it too much, just make sure that the house/apartment you live in is newer and up to earthquake codes.

Here is a map of the fault lines in the region.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:41 PM

246 posts, read 321,031 times
Here’s the DNR webpage. They don’t have a Kitsap map. But on the others, the worst forecast looks like 5 meters, or about 16’-5”. Most places, you don’t have to go too far inland to get above that elevation. The reason why they don’t forecast really big waves in the Salish Sea and Puget Sound is because there are too many islands and subsurface terrain changes to break them up.

As for earthquakes. I’ve lived here for 2.5 years and I’ve felt two. Both of them were like “Hey, was that?” level of shaking. I’ve had apartments shaken harder by trucks passing by. Everywhere that has fault lines has a “big one” risk. But they are extremely rare. Just try to avoid unreinforced masonry buildings. Those are the ones most prone to shaking apart.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Like Beernik, we have hardly noticed the minor quakes here, but we did get earthquake insurance when we bought here in 1993, after experiencing the Lima Prieta in the S.F. Bay Area. There are places where Tsunami Escape Routes are posted, those are where I would suggest avoiding.Most are closer to the Ocean, while the Penninsula is more protected since any tsunami would have to go SE past Port Angeles, then SW and hit the end in Tacoma and bounce back like water in a tub that gets bumped. Damage to a home from a big one is a bigger threat, and the biggest regular natural hazard is the windstorms 2-4 times a year with all of the big trees.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:55 PM

246 posts, read 321,031 times
I think I forgot to past in the link:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/g...ation_maps.pdf

Old 04-02-2018, 11:43 PM

638 posts, read 530,066 times
Quote:
We also have kids.

My question is, where are you living now that you aren't worried about any natural disasters or man-made disasters? Our risk is pretty low. Even in the big one which is likely to be devastating, it's still not as bad as what some people face annually!

Old 04-03-2018, 12:38 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,652 times
Quote:
I recall the 1964 Alaskan Earthquake, and the Tsunamis that hit along the Oregon and Northern California Coast. Those did a lot of damage. I was eating breakfast when the Earthquake hit. We were living in Kent at the time. I recall i stayed home from School that day, while the school was checked out for damage.

Kitsap peninsula would be fine just get above the waterline, like posted in a earlier answer to your post.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:08 AM

301 posts, read 520,082 times

Earthquake, yes, (12-year Kitsap resident--I've felt only one earthquake in my tenure here--and I grew up in CA's Bay Area ! /s [In other words, this is nothing compared to what I've experienced in the Bay Area]). And I have two kids, too, who grew up here in Kitsap.

But tsunami? Not likely. We're too far inland. We're 70+ miles inland. We may see a slight increase in water height, but not enough to necessitate evacuation plans. There are no rivers in Kitsap County, so our flood risk is actually relatively low. Yes, we do occasionally have streams that flood (once in my 12 years in the north part of the county), but those are minor and regional. We might have a road closure due to flooding, but I seriously cannot recall an evacuation occurring here.

Really, just follow the standard emergency procedures for any interuption in services due to natural events (e.g. snow, windstorms, and the like) and you'll be fine. Wind storms and occasional snow are far more likely to distrupt daily activities than earthquake or tsunami.

As long as you have gas in your tank (car or generator), wood to burn in a woodstove/fireplace if needed, drinking water available, and cash on hand, you can survive a storm here. Here is a link to "a year of prepping"; but I think it's a little overkill. Don't prep for Armagedon, just common sense items to have on hand in case of power outages and/or cell phone tower disruption.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/306391306/A-Year-of-Prepping

The longest we went without power was about 3 days. But we live near an elementary school and we're on the same grid with it (priority for PSE). YMMV

Old 04-03-2018, 07:00 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
If you wish to undertake a rational risk assessment, in addition to the basic maps supplied by helpfuls here I might suggest USGS.gov as well. Or quake in your boots, and do nothing, which is what most do. At least you asked the question, sort of, though I wouldn't go fishing for scientific input on this forum which is end of the day mostly about real estate.

I have a degree in geology from back in the day, long time ago now, though practiced professionally a number of years in NV and CA before realizing there wasn't money to be made nor was I passionate about the discipline. You can have passion and be poor and happy, but remove that and it's mostly unhappy.

Yes, Cascadia (Subduction Zone) is hazardous. So is the Hayward Fault in NorCal, especially, and I'm surprised that latter hasn't let loose a major temblor lately since it's "due" based on the known record. That mostly being examination of cores and exposed soil sections near the fault(s) themselves, since 175 years ago scientists often went to "Act of God" as the most plausible explanation for damn near everything and accurate measurement did not entirely exist. Wonder what they'll say 175 years from now...

There is a fine line between "prudent preparation" and "living in fear" that every (wo)man must decide, based on their personal risk profile...which is tolerance for risk. I wouldn't walk the streets filled with bums, derelicts, and vagrants without a couple layers of non-lethal, not even terribly harmful self-protection. A cell phone is one of the deadliest instruments known to modern man, too, btw. I don't need to move on to lethal means here on the mean streets of Seattle unless I put myself in places where that is a real possibility, or should I say "much higher probability" event. So, I usually don't carry lethal self-protection.

Not being prepared for "contact" with aggressive bums, vagrants, and "youth" is just stupid. No one can or will save you, and they need to be dealt with immediately and forcefully preferably without permanent damage. Right?

Likewise, Cascadia (generically) will unload at some point, there will be a minor to major temblor. I was here for the '01 event, it looked a bit nasty from Issaquah and I got out of the building fast. It took some damage and swayed, and the streets waved, so I incorrectly assumed we were in a pretty big one. That part of town got it a bit worse than others; how was I to know. I got my helmet and bag out of that office again pretty fast, got my motorcycle out from the parking under the building (white knuckler), and got the hell out of there back home. All bets were off, get out of my way. All was well in Mill Creek, with only the most minor damage, so who knew?

So...what would non-hysterical, prudent-preppers do when moving into a hazardous earthquake zone? 1) Not come 2) Come and live in fear day in/day out 3) Come, prep your family for a major disaster like smart people, arm up (lightly) against insurrection in a major disaster, and be prepared to be on your three days to a couple weeks.

Personally, I choose 3) and sleep well at night. Fate will play a hand, sooner or later, however. Maybe an hour from now, or 100 years. Hence "Risk Analysis" based on data and solid extrapolation (aka educated guesswork).

Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,390 times
I like these maps ! I have always been just a map freak anyway . This gives great location info that I was curious about .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area