Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times

Advertisements

So most of ya know this is our 1st Winter season here and I was surprised when I saw salt on the roads doing the cold snap in Seattle. I mean I know "why" they do it but why salt? In a "green" city" ? Cheaper?

Does just wonders with the undercarriages of cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Is salt worse for the environment than the de-icer chemical they use down here in Thurston county? I really don't know.

Not sure I see the harm in salt, Seattle is surrounded by salt water after all. It can be hard on cars, I've seen that in other parts of the country, but not here. We don't see rusted out cars all over around here. Maybe because here the salt doesn't sit on the car all winter. By next week, it will be washed away by rain. Our dry cold snaps are temporary.

We need something on all the hills around here when it does freeze. Both our biggest W WA cities are built on steep hills. Going without would bring the city to a halt, at the bottom of the hill.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Better ordinary rock salt than mag chloride suspension, which STICKS to your car. Regular salt washes away more easily.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Here in Sammamish and Issaquah they use a liquid de-iced, in fact every day last week you could see the stripes from it on the roads here just for the freezing fog and heavy frost. I work in Seattle and don’t remember seeing salt (or any ice) there yet this year. One year during a nasty storm the City of Seattle and mayor were heavily criticized for the gridlock and abandoned cars due to their failure to use salt, so now they will, since it’s more effective. Regardless of the Ill-effects on cars and the environment, there is minimal frequency of days needing it so it’s not a big deal. If you drive on a slated road, just was it well (underside too) at the local coin-op car wash when the roads have melted.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here in Sammamish and Issaquah they use a liquid de-iced, in fact every day last week you could see the stripes from it on the roads here just for the freezing fog and heavy frost. I work in Seattle and don’t remember seeing salt (or any ice) there yet this year. One year during a nasty storm the City of Seattle and mayor were heavily criticized for the gridlock and abandoned cars due to their failure to use salt, so now they will, since it’s more effective. Regardless of the Ill-effects on cars and the environment, there is minimal frequency of days needing it so it’s not a big deal. If you drive on a slated road, just was it well (underside too) at the local coin-op car wash when the roads have melted.
I remember that year. Our daughter was returning home via Greyhound. The bus left the Seattle station only to return due to icy roads and abandoned vehicles. She and other passengers were stranded. No taxis, no buses, in the dark with icy sidewalks. I called my sister who worked in downtown area not too far away who met her at the door. She was stranded, also and was unable to return home to West Seattle. They both slept on the couches.

The next day, our daughter took Amtrak home. And, she has never taken Greyhound, again. No compensation, no apology, no nothing. I was so afraid for her walking in downtown Seattle in a sketchy area at night. Thankfully, my sister was able to help. Seattle just falls apart during ice and snow storms.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:39 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
THANKS for the history.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Does just wonders with the undercarriages of cars.
It won't matter. It snows so very rarely PNW west side. Salting the roads once or twice a year will have no impact on your auto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area