Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 34,320 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Everett area for a job in the next few months, but being from a big city, the idea of living in Everett is not filling me with joy and glee. Seattle, on the other hand, does interest me as a city.

So, the question is, is it possible to live in Seattle and commute out to Everett?

The maps are giving me a 30 minute to 1 hour drive time, but that doesn't really tell me how traffic goes. I was suspecting people tended to commute into Seattle and not out during the day, so I'd be going against traffic, but without being in the city I can't be sure, and I don't want to start the relocation process based on a faulty assumption. How's traffic out of town during the morning rush and into town during the evening rush?

What even constitute 'bad traffic' in Seattle? I've lived in places where bad traffic was considered seeing ten other cars on the road and places where 'bad traffic' was stop-and-go for an hour to go a mile.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,462 times
A friend of mine lives in Belltown (Close to downtown Seattle) and commutes to Everett every day. I think it usually takes him about 45min and he tries to leave the house early to not hit the heaviest traffic. He also carpools with a few others to keep the cost down. He's doing it for the same reasons you are thinking about doing it for and I would say while it's definitely possible it can also be tiring and a little stressful...at least that's what I gather from his comments.

But I've been in the same situation before. If you work in some smaller town close to a City it's always a compromise. You either have a short commute and boredom in your spare time or you live where the action is but it takes you ages to get to work... I am glad I can walk to work now...

Last edited by SitoUK; 05-20-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 PM

240 posts, read 534,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraNgalia View Post

What even constitute 'bad traffic' in Seattle? I've lived in places where bad traffic was considered seeing ten other cars on the road and places where 'bad traffic' was stop-and-go for an hour to go a mile.

Thanks in advance!
It's more the latter here. When traffic is bad here, it can be REALLY bad. It's not always bad, but it can be.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Actually, not that many people commute to Seattle, compared to those commuting to Boeing in Everett, Renton and Auburn, and to Microsoft in Redmond. My son-in-law is in Ballrd and commutes to Everett daily (Boeing)
and it takes 40 minutes in the morning, 50 in the evening. If you are close to thye station, you can also take the train (Sounder) to Everett, and there are vanpools available.

When the traffic is bad here (every day) it's thousands of cars stop and go,
but only 2-3 lanes each direction. Not like the SF Bay Area where it's 8-10 lanes stopped, but you still don't get anywhere fast.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 34,320 times
@bisjoe - Thanks! I had a feeling there'd be some commuting out to Everett for Boeing, but it's been hard to judge given how fast and loose people seem to throw around the name Seattle for the entire metro area.

I should probably mention that I'd be moving up from Houston, shouldn't I? Where we do have the 9 lanes of stop and go highway + 4 lanes of stop and go frontage.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Apparently it's do-able, millions do it every morning and night. Just get in line on I-5 just like every other person that that's doing it.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:

So, the question is, is it possible to live in Seattle and commute out to Everett?

The maps are giving me a 30 minute to 1 hour drive time, but that doesn't really tell me how traffic goes. I was suspecting people tended to commute into Seattle and not out during the day, so I'd be going against traffic, but without being in the city I can't be sure, and I don't want to start the relocation process based on a faulty assumption. How's traffic out of town during the morning rush and into town during the evening rush?
It's possible to live in Seattle and commute out to Everett. There are some other people in the area who do the same thing, so don't assume that it'll be clear on your end. Usually evenings are worst than the mornings, and worst toward the end of the week.

It's always best to check out certain sites (like: Seattle Travel Times (http://www.beatthetraffic.com/traffic/traveltimes.aspx?regionid=5&viewname=Seattle&route id=7206 - broken link) ) where if you refer to the time you'd mostly leave to/from work, you'll have a more clear picture of what to expect.

p.s. it should also be mentioned that with the train up north, it can unreliable... Usually during wet season, you'll have landslides in the Mukilteo. But I'm sure you'll have plenty of other vanpool options and such.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
I'm relocating to the Everett area for a job in the next few months, but being from a big city, the idea of living in Everett is not filling me with joy and glee. Seattle, on the other hand, does interest me as a city.

Thanks in advance!
just get on the 510 bus buddy!!!! the 510 has HOV lane and is an express bus no need to drive from seattle to everett SoundTransit - 510 | Everett - Seattle o and the bus is very frequent and runs 7 days a week lord I heard its fast. The bus here is faster than the rail which is sad but then again its a highway bus with the HOV lane traffic immunity!!!!! So the bus 510 and 512 will by far be way faster than driving and cheaper too

Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Apparently it's do-able, millions do it every morning and night. Just get in line on I-5 just like every other person that that's doing it.
terrible advice I-5 is harrid and when a bus moves faster then there is a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area