Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

12 years ago I moved to a rural area and managed by the skin of my teeth to get DSL. I had one of those green towers (couple of feet high plastic cover things) in front of my property but the phone company kept insisting that they couldn't get me DSL. I managed to get them to agree to send someone out to check and he opened it up and I got it. At least thats how I remember it. DSL isn't great but at least its something.

Cue to now, my nephew lives a little way out of a small town and cable doesn't run that far. They too have a green tower and are pretty sure they should be able to get internet through it. But the company says it doesn't exist.

Is there some switch in that thing that is turned off so its not showing on their system? How does this work anyway? They cannot get the company to help. Is there anything they can do besides continue to beg the company? I'd be tempted to break into it and see whats in there, if there is a way to get it to show on their system. Or maybe just take it apart and take it into their offices and say here is the equipment you said didn't exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
The "green tower" is probably just a local junction box. Are your utilities underground?

DSL internet speed is a function of the distance to the nearest DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer). If you are too far, more than a few miles, you probably won't get service, although some TELCO are using innovative approaches to reach more unserved customers.

You can get an idea of distances here, keeping in mind the data is old and things may be better now. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4676

Old 09-15-2017, 10:06 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Many reasons. In my area, due to our remoteness, existing DSL customers are promised a certain speed. Because DSL can slow down with more users, the telco doesn't allow new hookups until old hookups discontinue service. So, there can be DSL service at your neighborhood "pedestal" but unless the company allows a new port to be connected, they will still tell you there is no service available. However, if your lucky, a port may open up and you get it before they get around to assigning it to someone on the waiting list in that area.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:33 PM

So what is a local junction box? What is it for?

Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Depends on where you live. I am 8 miles from a town of 5000-the biggest town in the county. If I wanted I could have the useless speed of 105mbps. 25 is plenty for me. Our county BOS are very proactive. If all else failed the local Verizon tower delivers 10-12mbps. Plenty!

Old 09-16-2017, 08:41 AM

Junction Box (my term)? When telcos run service cables, they run big thick cables with dozens of pairs of wires. The junction box is where they select one pair to run to your house.

Rabrrita's comment on speed may or may not be accurate depending on configuration, and is no different than the slowdown many cable customers experience in the evening, when everyone is online at once. With fiber so cheap these days, it's becoming less common.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 AM

I don't understand why anyone is talking about speed. They don't have any service much less speed.

I'm trying to figure out why? If there is this junction box in front of their house why does AT&T tell them they can't get service.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 AM

Maybe you're too far from the DSLAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology