Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times

Advertisements

If the education system continues on the downside as it has in the past several years, with the dumbing down of students today yes AI will be their master. Look how they rely on gadgets now and are hooked by video games that consume all their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have been discussing this on Facebook and while I admire Stephen Hawking a lot he is completely wrong here. Its almost like he is over thinking the issue. First he contradicts himself a lot and second AI will not increase in a vacuum as we will merge with the technology as well so AI will never be smarter then we are. In fact from what I have studied everything will happen around 2030 as by 2029 AI will be as intelligent as a un-aided human and by 2030 AI will be more intelligent. However, also, by 2030 computers the size of blood cells will be thousands of times more powerful then Google glass today and we will have millions if not billions of them is us augmenting our intelligence. That will allow us to advance just as fast as the AI so it will not be this lopsided future he predicts.
"We will merge with the technology." So, there we are. We become part of the technology and, being humans who enjoy our ease, we let technology take over. If you don't believe it, take a look at people parking cars. Too lazy to take a minute to lock their doors, they walk fifty feet, turn around and let a key do the job. Or, watch a crowd and count the cell phones hanging from ears - almost as many phones as people. We are already so attached to technology that we can't leave home without it. Then there is a certain friend I have who cannot wash her dishes right now because the dishwasher is broken.

A better example that may relate more to what Mr. Hawking is saying: We have all read stories of the many students who are copying (and often paying for) essays from the internet rather than do their own research.

There are other examples. I suspect all of you can think of a few. Remember "Let George do it"? To let 'George' do it, you have to let George get as smart as you are. Then you hand all the responsibility to George who is smart enough to know how to take you over.

I confess that I have never read anything Stephen Hawking wrote but I tend to believe he is right in this. We rely on machines. We make those machines smart. We sit back and tell those machines to do their thing. Maybe, just maybe, we will grasp the danger in time to stop it. Maybe there is hope. We used to constantly hear "It has to be right. It's in the computer." We finally realized that it didn't "have to be right" and often wasn't. Maybe we'll catch on to the rest in time. Dare we hope?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,829,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I believe the next step will be Computer to brain interface where we will have the ability with a small implant to be able to access the net,phone and all related aps and tv merely be thinking about it,no external hardware needed..
I go 100% off grid before any implant goes in me.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
We already have that ability, jambo, but implants are problematic medically. Read The Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku.

We're MUCH further along with the technology than most people think. Good book.
They are still working to perfect the interface,once it is perfected the implant procedure will have em lined up around the block to get it.
I dont think i've ever read a bad book by Mr Kaku , His book on String Theory i found riveting. I'll have to download his Future of the Mind book, sounds fascinating..

Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 AM

Quite by coincidence, this article appeared in this morning's New York Times newsletter. Machines that will be able to interpret how you feel when your computer or other device causes trouble. They will react to that, making suggestions or even taking control if you are about to lose your cool. Sounds like a confirmation of what Mr. Hawking is saying.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...&nlid=34771439

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
I think the fact is that many of the tasks of ordinary daily life actually takes far less human creativity than people realize, and is far more automatable than people realize. It's just jarring to come to the realization that 90 percent or more of what each of us does during the day could have been done acceptably by a machine.

Notice, I said "acceptably." Another part of that equation is the reduction of what we consider "acceptable." This is something I face as a portrait photographer, and I'm sure it's affecting many other service occupations. If what a machine produces is "acceptable," then what a human becomes produces becomes unnecessary.

So if we create a computerized "home design" system and decide that the repetitive boxes it creates are acceptable, we don't need any new Frank Lloyd Wrights or Candace Olsens.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
"We will merge with the technology." So, there we are. We become part of the technology and, being humans who enjoy our ease, we let technology take over. If you don't believe it, take a look at people parking cars. Too lazy to take a minute to lock their doors, they walk fifty feet, turn around and let a key do the job. Or, watch a crowd and count the cell phones hanging from ears - almost as many phones as people. We are already so attached to technology that we can't leave home without it. Then there is a certain friend I have who cannot wash her dishes right now because the dishwasher is broken.

A better example that may relate more to what Mr. Hawking is saying: We have all read stories of the many students who are copying (and often paying for) essays from the internet rather than do their own research.

There are other examples. I suspect all of you can think of a few. Remember "Let George do it"? To let 'George' do it, you have to let George get as smart as you are. Then you hand all the responsibility to George who is smart enough to know how to take you over.

I confess that I have never read anything Stephen Hawking wrote but I tend to believe he is right in this. We rely on machines. We make those machines smart. We sit back and tell those machines to do their thing. Maybe, just maybe, we will grasp the danger in time to stop it. Maybe there is hope. We used to constantly hear "It has to be right. It's in the computer." We finally realized that it didn't "have to be right" and often wasn't. Maybe we'll catch on to the rest in time. Dare we hope?
The thing is once we merge with the technology we will be that "George" as we will be that smart. As smart as any AI. That is where Hawkings is off on his analysis.

Life is different today then it was when I was a kid and it will be different by 2030 as well. Will be it better? That is up to personal preference but there is no going back now as for better or worse technology is here to stay.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I believe the next step will be Computer to brain interface where we will have the ability with a small implant to be able to access the net,phone and all related aps and tv merely be thinking about it,no external hardware needed..
Agreed. I mean imagine what the impact will be when we can read and understand the entire knowledge of the human race in a few minutes? We will be just as smart as any AI and that is what Hawkings does not take into account.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The thing is once we merge with the technology we will be that "George" as we will be that smart. As smart as any AI. That is where Hawkings is off on his analysis.

Life is different today then it was when I was a kid and it will be different by 2030 as well. Will be it better? That is up to personal preference but there is no going back now as for better or worse technology is here to stay.
You are seeing a better outcome than I am seeing but I'm far behind the times already and I'll not be here when they start implanting computers into brains - thank goodness. Come to think of, though, does implanting all intelligence into a child's brain mean we can eliminate schools? Considering what we have ++++++++.

Hmmm. I just had a thought. Before you have a computer with all information and intelligence, you need a human entering all that information and intelligence. Round Robin? Or, will Al be so smart that it can dig up all the information on its own?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
You are seeing a better outcome than I am seeing but I'm far behind the times already and I'll not be here when they start implanting computers into brains - thank goodness. Come to think of, though, does implanting all intelligence into a child's brain mean we can eliminate schools? Considering what we have ++++++++.
Honestly in time I think so but I am not entire sure on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology