Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been researching this forum and I'm looking for updated information. I am moving to the area in early 2024 and would like insight on Effingham County vs Richmond Hill vs Pooler.

Schools - I've been reading that Chatham County schools aren't the greatest. What about High Schools specifically in Pooler, not Savannah? I am having a hard time finding information specifically on Pooler High Schools. What makes these schools so bad? What are the better High Schools?

The new EV plant - I've looked at this area on a map. Would this really affect traffic going towards Hunter Army Airfield? It seems to me that traffic will be affected going west from Savannah to the EV plant. Is this an accurate assumption?

Are there any other new planned communities in the works besides the ones that are in progress and showing up on Redfin, etc? Honest opinions on areas to stay away from are appreciated. Interested in a planned community with a pool, or established area with trees. Not interested in cookie cutter neighborhoods.

Has Covid killed local restaurants? (prefer local vs. chains)

Are tornados and hurricanes a common occurrence? Looked at some google map photos and it looked like a tornado went though the area.

Are there any other considerations I should take into account when looking at these areas that I'm not realizing because I haven't seen the area yet?

Probably a question that will make you laugh. How often do you see alligators? LOL

Thanks for any and all insight on these three areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 01:14 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Pooler Schools are Chatham County Schools, unfortunately. Richmond Hill and Effingham are independent.

I live in Pooler which has its own Police, Fire, Sanitation and Water, which run like a Swiss watch, but its schools are controlled by Savannah. Chatham County Schools are a huge, unwieldy behemoth that can’t seem to turn out anything but underachieving results. If you can afford private school, Pooler is fine, otherwise no.

I do not know what the EV Plant is, but I can tell you that the drive to Hunter from Pooler is a big hassle.

I have never seen an alligator in the wild in 13 years, although I do not frequent ponds much.

Local restaurants are running full force, except the fast food ones seem to struggle for employees. The Savannah restaurant scene is terrific.

Although Savannah is right in the path of hurricanes, it is tucked into the coastline in such a way that we hardly ever get them full force. They travel up the coastline, pass us by and go up to the Carolinas.

Effingham would be a hard commute towards Hunter too. My vote would be for Richmond Hill. It is small but there are very pretty neighborhoods. There’s one called Waterways that looks nice.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:48 PM

450 posts, read 461,513 times
Gentlearts is dead on about schools, tornados, hurricanes and alligators. In 33 years I have seen 2 that weren’t in a River or we went looking for. They are here but not a huge issue. The EV plant is going to have a huge effect on a lot of the area, ancillary plant have been announced in Richmond Hill, Liberty County, Effingham County and Bulloch County. The plant itself is about 12 miles west of Pooler along Interstate 16. Hunter is not easy to get to. 204/Abercorn is bad during rush hour. The west side I16/516 is just as bad. My preference would be Pooler if private school is available for you. Otherwise, Southern Effingham along Highway 80 & Highway 17 is in good schools and close to Pooler for most stores. Effingham will allow for larger lots while Pooler is suburban small lots (1/4 acre - 1/8 acre standard). Traffic is dependent on where you currently live and what your definition of traffic is. It isn’t Atlanta, DC, LA or whatever big city you can compare it to. 20-30 minutes extra doesn’t bother me and rush hour doesn’t last very long. Rapid growth in the entire area is creating the issues as infrastructure is always behind. The EV plant and 12-15000 new jobs is going to stress the entire region for people to work so the growth will continue. The only other thing you didn’t mention was the Port. It is #4 in the nation and growing leaps and bounds. They are driving huge warehouse developments which adds truck traffic.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:54 PM

474 posts, read 587,426 times
The Savannah-Chatham County schools get a bad rap, only because the media portrays it that way. The goals are set by lawmakers in Atlanta that do not know anything about education. It's all relative. I went through the public schools here. I had no choice; my parents couldn't afford private school. The private school teachers weren't required to be certified, at least when I was in school. I went on to attend Georgia Tech, get a Masters Degree, become a civil engineer, and have a successful career. I had great teachers that I still talk to years later. The schools are what you make them and based upon your child's skill level and motivation.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
The Savannah-Chatham County schools get a bad rap, only because the media portrays it that way. The goals are set by lawmakers in Atlanta that do not know anything about education. It's all relative. I went through the public schools here. I had no choice; my parents couldn't afford private school. The private school teachers weren't required to be certified, at least when I was in school. I went on to attend Georgia Tech, get a Masters Degree, become a civil engineer, and have a successful career. I had great teachers that I still talk to years later. The schools are what you make them and based upon your child's skill level and motivation.
The child’s motivation and the child’s parents being involved. You did not attend todays Chatham County Schools.

I have volunteered in a few grade schools. The teachers I met are dedicated, but it’s lack of parental guidance that is at fault.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:51 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The child’s motivation and the child’s parents being involved. You did not attend todays Chatham County Schools.

I have volunteered in a few grade schools. The teachers I met are dedicated, but it’s lack of parental guidance that is at fault.
I feel like this is a broken record. It’s been said for decades now. AJC made a great point.
I also made it through SCCPS and turned out just fine.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:55 AM

71 posts, read 77,837 times
I’d agree with most all of what folks are telling you. Richmond Hill is nice, but be aware prices are jumping up for housing there greatly. Like most areas. 17 to 204 at rush hour, morning and afternoon backs up(mainly due to ONE stop light) to get to Hunter. As to Chatham County Schools, there are some that are decent such as Isle of Hope and Hesse (K-8). High schools can be iffy, but hear good things about the one out on Wilmington Island. It’s going to be a cluster muck out by the new New Hampstead(K-8) when built because of all the houses going in out that way. Transportation for the district is terrible-believe me, I worked in that HOT MESS. They should all be fired personally as they ran MV & First Student and it’s been horrible for years now. Private schools are better here, but some with lofty price tags. Some also have their own private transportation which is a bonus for working parents.

As to storms, we have been here since 2017. Evacuated for Irma. But have stayed for the rest as we are in zone A for mandatory evacuations. Over a category 2, we’d leave again. Alligators, yes I’ve seen them. We have one at one of my jobs. I’ve seen them in various places, but I suggest giving them wide berth. Seen a few deceased ones on 17 over the Talmage Bridge into SC. As to tornadoes, get a weather radio for alerts. Be weather savvy. The first few weeks we lived here in Feb.2017, we had sirens going off a number of times, but nothing actually where we live.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:56 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
This county's schools are not good unfortunately. Lots of reasons but tbh it won't change anytime soon.

Hurricanes. When one does hit the curve of the coast will concentrate the ocean surge like a funnel. It will be bad. We have a false sense of security because while the event happens less often it will happen. A matter of time and the community planning in Pooler and the unincorporated county is paving right up to or over wetlands and green space, and building up to the marsh, and there will be flooding damage. Matthew did not actually hit the county interestingly, only Tybee and alas lulled people even more into a false sense of security. Tornadoes happen, seems like one every year or couple years, look at Pembroke, Bryan County, last year. Probably not as much as the midwest though. I have never been out there but seems like they happen a lot more out there. I think we have had a few out in the islands around 2019, I know two hit Ft Pulaski. My neighbors say they have seen water spouts, which I admit I kind of want to see when at Tybee.

Restaurants are great. Gators are fine, they just do their own thing. Loads of them everywhere. You can pet and feed them at the Crab Shack in Tybee! (Just kidding about petting lol)

Old 06-03-2023, 07:44 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
Effingham County schools are some of the best in the State. Pooler is getting crowded, Guyton and Rincon are also, but have a small town feel and there is LOTS of breathing room. I've been through 5 hurricanes including Andrew and fled Florida for a more quiet GA life.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:30 PM

64 posts, read 68,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I feel like this is a broken record. It’s been said for decades now. AJC made a great point.
I also made it through SCCPS and turned out just fine.
I also attended SCCPS from K-12, have an advanced degree, and have done quite well (as well as my siblings and many classmates). The negative comments about SCCPS need a little more nuance. There are some good schools in the district, while others need improvement. Savannah Arts Academy (I know you asked about Pooler) is one of the top high schools in the state. Sadly, private school enrollment exploded when public schools were desegregated in the 60s. The blanket negative statements about SCCPS unfortunately perpetuates the legacy of segregation and inequality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area