Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:04 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

I'm moving out of Central Florida in May and have decided after lengthy "analysis paralysis" on Savannah based primarily on climate and cost of living factors. I will be working most likely (have a couple of options) just south of town or the near west end. Through my online apartment hunting I have narrowed to Windsor Forest, Georgetown and Pooler (near the Tanger Outlets) as my neighborhood options. Hoping via your insights to provide some descriptives of those areas and any positives/negatives associated. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 07:05 PM

450 posts, read 461,513 times
It is going to depend a lot on what you prefer. Really, the closest to your job would be best. If you work in Pooler, it is better to live there instead of driving from Georgetown or Windsor Forest. Pooler is growing a lot and there are plenty of jobs, most are service industry but there are some other bigger companies out there and warehouse work is plentiful. Georgetown is limited on new jobs in the immediate area. Windsor Forest puts you closer to downtown if you like that option.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 PM

643 posts, read 845,534 times
I'd check out Historic Yamacraw Village.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
It is going to depend a lot on what you prefer. Really, the closest to your job would be best. If you work in Pooler, it is better to live there instead of driving from Georgetown or Windsor Forest. Pooler is growing a lot and there are plenty of jobs, most are service industry but there are some other bigger companies out there and warehouse work is plentiful. Georgetown is limited on new jobs in the immediate area. Windsor Forest puts you closer to downtown if you like that option.
I already have work lined up so won't be "looking". One option is on the south side off of Truman Parkway near the Savannah Mall. The other is near the intersection of I-16 and I-516 on the Northeast side. While I prefer to be as close to work as possible I also don't want to forgo a better neighborhood because it's a bit further. Worst case scenario, if I were living in the Georgetown area, how long of a commute would it be into the area around the I-16 and I-516 interchange at rush hour?

Old 02-25-2019, 03:49 AM

450 posts, read 461,513 times
It's about 10 or 12 miles to the Interchange from Georgetown. If you use 204 to Veterans Pkwy to 516, it would be about 15 minutes. You would be about the same going to the Southside near Truman, traffic is a little heavier going into Savannah on 204/Abercorn. Georgetown is the best bet with those two locations, I don't really care of that area but there is nothing wrong with it. You just have to go some where else to do things.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:42 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am only familiar with Pooler. There are lots of very nice apartments near the outlet mall. They are very convenient to shopping and restaurants, as well as Rte 95 and the airport. If you are working on the south side, Pooler would be the furthest commute. With traffic, it could take you 45 minutes, and who needs that?

Old 02-25-2019, 07:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I'd check out Historic Yamacraw Village.

Don’t be rude

Old 02-25-2019, 07:54 PM

643 posts, read 845,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Don’t be rude
In fairness, I was referring to the Historic part, not the Hoodstoric.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:13 AM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm moving out of Central Florida in May and have decided after lengthy "analysis paralysis" on Savannah based primarily on climate and cost of living factors. I will be working most likely (have a couple of options) just south of town or the near west end. Through my online apartment hunting I have narrowed to Windsor Forest, Georgetown and Pooler (near the Tanger Outlets) as my neighborhood options. Hoping via your insights to provide some descriptives of those areas and any positives/negatives associated. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
You said in the Augusta forum that you’d decided on Augusta/Aiken. And you’ve done this before already in several other forums. Make up your mind on where you want to live first.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:21 AM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Exhibit A, I’m not mad, just curious as to why you’re doing it? Going around different forums asking the exact same questions. Knowing well you aren’t probably moving anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Me Decide?-c3fb25da-b670-4c6e-a473-f4ce238f3ecc.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: