Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:33 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

Whole Foods officially coming to Savannah; will open in 2013

Posted: May 2, 2012 - 5:21pm | Updated: May 2, 2012 - 5:23pm
After months of speculation, it's official: Whole Foods is coming to Savannah, according to the high-end grocer's second quarter report, released Wednesday.
"The Company recently signed eight new leases averaging 38,600 square feet in size," the report states, "in North Burnaby, B.C.; Alpharetta, GA; Savannah, GA; Maple Grove, MN; Albany, NY; Brooklyn, NY; Memphis, TN; and Toronto, Ontario.
"These stores currently are scheduled to open in fiscal year 2013 and beyond," the report continues.
The Savannah store will move into a portion of the site of the former Backus family automobile dealership at the junction of Victory Drive and Truman Parkway. It will measure 35,000 square feet.
The high-end grocer will be flanked by shops in a 12,000-square-foot building. Another 12,800-square-foot building is proposed on the western edge of the site.
Whole Foods officially coming to Savannah; will open in 2013 | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Can't wait, will be a shorter drive than Kroger once the Truman is done..

Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Ho hum.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I would have to pass two of my favorite super markets to get there, wait in traffic to make a horrific left turn.....hm, I think I'll pass up on this one. I've managed this long without it, I might can make it a few years longer.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 PM

55 posts, read 133,809 times
I'm really surprised they would even bring Whole Foods in a town as small and unsophisticated as Savannah. I would love to see the company thrive but I'll make a bet they close shortly after because people here would rather eat tripe and chitterlings instead of fresh organic veggies.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Their clients will be the same ones at Fresh Market. Old people who don't care what they pay, and old people who don't care what they pay, with the occasional yuppy, who thinks he's supposed to be there.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Don't be smacking on Fresh Market, I buy about $40 worth of food there a week and feel it's well worth it. If you don't want crap food then you pay for it.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Don't be smacking on Fresh Market, I buy about $40 worth of food there a week and feel it's well worth it. If you don't want crap food then you pay for it.
What did you buy?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Fresh Market has good deals just like any other supermarket if you pay attention to the specials. And even the regular stuff like produce and flowers isn't THAT much more than other places. It's the specialty items (sauces, high-grade cuts of meat, foreign delicacies, etc.) that can make your eyes glaze over.

It will be interesting to see how WF will impact Fresh Market. Savannah's active "look at me-look at me" crowd will migrate there just so they can be seen by others in their clique, spending insane amounts of money to impress people they don't even like. But will the "new" wear off of WF and still attract them after their beloved luxury SUVs get stolen from the parking lot?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 PM

54 posts, read 166,246 times
whole foods has an awesome selection! a few items i look forward to buying are the figs, nuts, rice, dried fruit, etc. from the bulk bins. (very nicely priced)! the produce variety is pretty satisfying to peruse if nothing else. they offer a very tasty miso in a soup carton from their house brand. . . oh and the twig tea. really really looking forward to being able to get that. i highly recommend it to any green tea enthusiast. speaking of their house brand- it is very reasonable and great quality throughout.

anyone who is a fan of natural cosmetics, shampoos etc will be pleased with the selection. similar to the offerings at brighter day. whole foods also has like 4 aisles of vitamins. having the option to shop at whole foods is going to be nice. i personally can't afford it for everything, for example the meats are spendy, but there is no doubt i will be a regular. i think whole foods will manage just fine in savannah. they have a much larger offering than fresh market. they may attract the same shopper, but each has something different to offer. anyone who has been to both will see this immediately. whole foods is like fresh market on a much more for the masses level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area