Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 05:43 AM

25,767 posts, read 12,840,301 times

Advertisements

While the season doesn't officially end until 11-30, its pretty safe to say most of us made it through another storm season w/o any major damage.

The storm now in the Atlantic (Tammy) will turn North, & die in the Atlantic, like most systems did this year.

The ones we had to worry about came to life in the Gulf of Mexico.

I've made it through 5 seasons now w/o hurricane glass windows, retractable shutters, or a generator.

I have not deployed my metal temp storm shutters once...I was out of state when Ian hit, & got lucky.

Last year, I cancelled our flood insurance, & am still considering going bare, but the liability exposure gives me pause. Our premium is still <$2k/yr..

We read so much gloom & doom, fear-mongering, & sensationalized stories about tropical storms & insurance here, I wanted to share my story.

Nobody knows what the future holds, but most people are like me...never got wiped out by a storm....it's mostly media hype...except for a tiny %.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 10-19-2023 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 02:21 PM

733 posts, read 761,676 times
The quiet season is appreciated. Fortunately Idalia spared our area this year, and nothing else threatened.

We had our storm shutters on for Ian and for Irma in our 7 years here. Pretty heavy winds, so glad I did it. Generators are more trouble than they are worth to me, so we just prepare to be without power for a few days.

I'm not in a flood zone. so I go back and forth on that insurance. Had it at first, then dropped it the year Ian came thru (last year). Then we had 22" of rain and water got fairly close to my house, due to slow draining in our stormwater lake/pond system. So this year I paid for it again, an $1100 peace of mind, on top of our $2000 homeowners insurance. Add it to the cost of living in Florida.

My house is solid, I'm not worried about the storm damage at all. Just the inconvenience of losing power/water for a few days.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:05 PM

The water didn't get too close to entering our home during Ian, and they are making significant improvements in my area to water flow, so I felt safe cancelling it. The max value of the coverage isn't very high anyways.

Unless theres a Cat4 or higher in my area, I'm not deploying the temp metal shutters. We got hit pretty hard by Ian, and no damage.

I'm happy for the next 7 months of not having to think about it.

Old 10-19-2023, 09:15 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The water didn't get too close to entering our home during Ian, and they are making significant improvements in my area to water flow, so I felt safe cancelling it. The max value of the coverage isn't very high anyways.

Unless theres a Cat4 or higher in my area, I'm not deploying the temp metal shutters. We got hit pretty hard by Ian, and no damage.

I'm happy for the next 7 months of not having to think about it.
Your area just had cat1 sustained winds.

Here in Punta Gorda much higher. Backside probably strong cat3 sustained. weaker front side winds gusted to 135mph at the airport when the sensor quit working.

We had a lot of windows not covered broken down here. Some older buildings had severe structure damage too.

Here is a good video. The backside, western eyewall was very intense around here. Second video has a cam that was placed at the beach on Sanibel. The eastern eyewall which was slightly weaker, the winds are about 140 in that video. go to the 4:30 mark. Winds like those you need shutters or plywood over your windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPBS0ptUhw&t=2297s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOpezmbGWiY&t=298s

Old 10-20-2023, 09:56 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
While the season doesn't officially end until 11-30, its pretty safe to say most of us made it through another storm season w/o any major damage.

The storm now in the Atlantic (Tammy) will turn North, & die in the Atlantic, like most systems did this year.

The ones we had to worry about came to life in the Gulf of Mexico.

I've made it through 5 seasons now w/o hurricane glass windows, retractable shutters, or a generator.

I have not deployed my metal temp storm shutters once...I was out of state when Ian hit, & got lucky.

Last year, I cancelled our flood insurance, & am still considering going bare, but the liability exposure gives me pause. Our premium is still <$2k/yr..

We read so much gloom & doom, fear-mongering, & sensationalized stories about tropical storms & insurance here, I wanted to share my story.

Nobody knows what the future holds, but most people are like me...never got wiped out by a storm....it's mostly media hype...except for a tiny %.

Well, I'm always reminded of hurricane Wilma that hit Florida, on the west coast between Cape Romano and Everglades City on October 24th in 2005, and made its way northeast across the peninsula. That's the latest I've ever seen a hurricane hit. So I don't count my hurricane ducks each year till around the last week of November or so.

We've been residents of Florida for close to 47 years, most of that time in Miami, with the last 10 years full time in SW Florida, and have experienced at least fringe effects of maybe 6 hurricanes, and a number of tropical storms over that time. Andrew (Miami) in 1992 was the worst one for us by far, with it's northern eye wall coming right over us with winds estimated by the National Hurricane Center ( their gages broke as the hurricane hit them- located in Coral Gables at the time) at 165 MPH. The flying roofs and other debris virtually destroyed our house. But we survived, rebuilt better and much stronger, and went on with our lives.

The only other storm that inflicted any damage on our house was Ian last year, in Punta Gorda, and that damage was much less than what we experienced in Miami. No structural damage, we had shingles blown off the roof down to the plywood, resulting in water intrusion through the ceiling, Ian's winds blew our outside water system apart, broken and scattered in the yard, and our boat was blown off the lift, flipped upside down into the canal. And of course, like so many other people we had soffits torn off, twisted. But things are for the most part put back together, and our homeowner's insurance came through for us.

We maintain full homeowner's insurance coverage, as well as flood insurance since we are on a canal just off the Peace River. The premiums have increased, that's to be expected, but we still find the costs manageable. I expected our flood insurance premiums to go up more than they did ( increased from $800 to 900 this year), but I'm grateful they didn't. I don't know if we will ever have a flood claim- no flooding in Ian, and the house is considerably elevated above the mean high tide of the canal, but I figure it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

That's my story.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:17 AM

Thx for sharing your story Travelassie. Andrew was by far the worse in my years here (on/off for 40 yrs), but alos homes were not built well in Homestead, as it was mostly chap military housing...everything was leveled.

Ian's the worse I've had, & I wasn't even here at the time, but returned just afterwards. I had to wait 3 days just te get into our neighborhood due to downed trees & high water levels in the streets. No homes got flooded though.

I hate how the media overdoes every storm, just to sell advertising. It does keep some people from moving here, so that's a side benefit.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:43 AM

84 posts, read 236,381 times
Default Weathering Hurricanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, I'm always reminded of hurricane Wilma that hit Florida, on the west coast between Cape Romano and Everglades City on October 24th in 2005, and made its way northeast across the peninsula. That's the latest I've ever seen a hurricane hit. So I don't count my hurricane ducks each year till around the last week of November or so.

We've been residents of Florida for close to 47 years, most of that time in Miami, with the last 10 years full time in SW Florida, and have experienced at least fringe effects of maybe 6 hurricanes, and a number of tropical storms over that time. Andrew (Miami) in 1992 was the worst one for us by far, with it's northern eye wall coming right over us with winds estimated by the National Hurricane Center ( their gages broke as the hurricane hit them- located in Coral Gables at the time) at 165 MPH. The flying roofs and other debris virtually destroyed our house. But we survived, rebuilt better and much stronger, and went on with our lives.

The only other storm that inflicted any damage on our house was Ian last year, in Punta Gorda, and that damage was much less than what we experienced in Miami. No structural damage, we had shingles blown off the roof down to the plywood, resulting in water intrusion through the ceiling, Ian's winds blew our outside water system apart, broken and scattered in the yard, and our boat was blown off the lift, flipped upside down into the canal. And of course, like so many other people we had soffits torn off, twisted. But things are for the most part put back together, and our homeowner's insurance came through for us.

We maintain full homeowner's insurance coverage, as well as flood insurance since we are on a canal just off the Peace River. The premiums have increased, that's to be expected, but we still find the costs manageable. I expected our flood insurance premiums to go up more than they did ( increased from $800 to 900 this year), but I'm grateful they didn't. I don't know if we will ever have a flood claim- no flooding in Ian, and the house is considerably elevated above the mean high tide of the canal, but I figure it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

That's my story.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am considering moving down from Tampa Bay and have heard good things about the area for living and boating. I'm especially looking for sailboat Gulf access neighborhoods. Information on actual weather impacts to the area are very much appreciated since the media coverage is quite hit and miss.

Old 10-26-2023, 05:41 AM

Radar is clear this morning (10-26-23). Odds of anything hitting FLA now are very slim.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:36 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
Radar is clear this morning (10-26-23). Odds of anything hitting FLA now are very slim.
Models keep hinting at something big in the western carribean in early nov. This mornings gfs has a major right into Naples. Chances are something forms down there it will be like Michelle in 2001.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:42 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Hurricane season is winding down but it's not over yet. I can remember tropical storm Keith that hit Sarasota at Thanksgiving back in the late 80's. Not much damage here but the heavy rains closed the famous boat rides at Cypress Gardens. My mom and aunt were down visiting for the holiday and were very disappointed they didn't get to tour the Gardens in those little electric boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area