Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:11 AM

8,021 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

I was in Sarasota Memorial hospital at the end of November 2020. I saw numerous doctors and had several tests done. I gave my insurance card to SMH and they had my insurance information on file. I had not received any bills related to this hospital stay until out of the blue I received a letter from a collection agency yesterday stating that I owed $563 and the original provider is listed as "Radiology Partners". It lists three dates of service: 11/27/2020, 11/29/20, and 12/06/2020.

Then it says Itemization Charge-Off Date was 12/07/2022.

The debt collector is "Capio Partners" and the letter was sent from PO Box 4115, Concord, CA 54524 but they have a business street address in Sherman, TX.

Capio Partners is offering to settle my debt for $337.80.

Capio Partners claims in their letter that they purchased my debt from "CF Medical LLC".

I have never received a letter or call from CF Medical LLC - so I looked up their telephone number on Google and called them. They said they don't have any record of me ever having an account with them. So this is really strange - perhaps CF Medical is also listed under another name.

I called Sarasota Memorial hospital and they said if the bill was based on radiology it would be from one of 2 radiology companies they use. SMH gave me their phone numbers. One was in Tampa - I called and it wasn't them. The second number was for Mori Bean & Brooks (MBB) out of Jacksonville - and BINGO!

Boy does this company seem to be a mess! First off when you call them it sounds like the call is routed to some foreign call center and the rep has such a strong accent that they can barely be understood. Anyway they claimed they had sent me 3 bills which was BS because I never received anything. They also never sent a claim in to my insurance because I called my insurance and they said MBB never filed a claim with them!

Anyway a bit more about MBB: On Google reviews they're only rated 1.2 stars (out of a possible 5 stars). If you want to read a comedy of horrors read the MBB reviews. On the Better Business Bureau web site MBB has a rating of "F". I think that an F rating is a bit unusual because the BBB is usually pro-business. Now for the kicker - MBB has been fined $1.4 million for shady business practices:

Jacksonville Radiology Practice Agrees To Pay $1.4 Million To Resolve Health Care Fraud Allegations

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/pr...lth-care-fraud

United States Attorney Maria Chapa Lopez announced that Mori, Bean and Brooks, P.A. (MBB), a radiology practice in the Jacksonville, Florida area, has agreed to pay the United States $1.4 million to resolve allegations that it knowingly submitted false claims to Medicare and Medicaid for radiological images that were ineligible for reimbursement.

Last edited by wondermint2; 09-13-2023 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 11:57 AM

I'm trying to figure out if my situation is some kind of fraud/scheme or if MBB is just very disorganized. It seems odd to me that my insurance company never received a claim from MBB and I never received a bill.

It's been so long ago and I had many tests done that I can't remember the specifics. But I was in SMH during this time frame. I believe MBB are the ones that read the radiology tests.

Anyway I have informed Capio Partners (the debt collection agency) and MBB that I was insured at the time of service - and that my insurance information was readily available from SMH. As such I told them I should not be responsible for the debt.

The first time I called MBB they were not cooperative. They said they had turned it over to collections and thus it was now out of their hands. So I tried calling them again and threatened them with legal action -and the rep put me on hold to talk to a "supervisor".

The end result was that MBB said they are going to try and bill my insurance company NOW (yeah good luck with that for a service that was (supposedly) performed almost 3 years ago). And they said they would notify the debt collector that I was insured at the time of service. (We'll see if they actually follow through with their promise).

When I called Capio Partners (the debt collector) to dispute the bill they connected me to their "billing advocate" - and I told her I was insured at the time of service. Gave her the details and she said she would research it and get back to me in 2-4 weeks.

So I'm waiting to see if they drop the debt or continue to try and pursue it.

Last edited by wondermint2; 09-13-2023 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-13-2023, 01:33 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Hmmm... smells like a scam to me!

Old 09-13-2023, 03:08 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
I had a ct scan and xrays done a smh Venice. No issue with billing! Now hca hospitals like Fawcett on the other hand a total scam! Gov needs to look into hca. Gotta be a lot of medicare fraud going on there!

Old 09-13-2023, 04:01 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I had a ct scan and xrays done a smh Venice. No issue with billing! Now hca hospitals like Fawcett on the other hand a total scam! Gov needs to look into hca. Gotta be a lot of medicare fraud going on there!

I have had no problems with billing from Fawcett.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:04 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Document everything-- who you talk to, their job title, what they said , date, etc. Log all of it. You may need this information later on.

Can you get a copy of the original billing?

I'd also get copies of my credit reports to see if the company has impacted your credit scores negatively already. If they have , demand they remove any collections claims.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:17 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
We must have stronger hospital regulation to stop them from ripping us all off, and our insurors and gov't.

Right now, they have a license to steal. I'd only go to a hospital in life threatening situations...but that's just me...not suggesting anything to anyone else out there.

I'm too young to have Medicare, & I have a huge deductible, so they'd fleece me, and my insuror.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 456 times
I too had a ct, 3 mri’s and a series of X-rays at smh through smh healthcare insurance for employees. The test were paid for by insurance and a copay was submitted by me prior to the test.
Now the Mori Bean and Brooks are trying to charge a total of $2800.00 to read the results of these test.
I have been round and round with the insurance they said everything is taken care of and paid my only responsibility was my copay prior to the test. I called MBB and they are saying this is my deductible and the insurance says no I shouldn’t have a bill from radiology.
This is in a collection agency now and they are demanding payment. I don’t know what to do. No one will listen and I don’t want my credit ruined.
I feel like this is a scam. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I saw the MBB was in the news and a lawsuit and was caught for insurance fraud.
Any suggestions are welcome .

Old 04-14-2024, 07:59 AM

I sent a letter to the collection agency that erroneously tried to collect a charge for MBB. I stated that I shouldn't of been billed because I had insurance. MBB never billed my insurance (or me either). I included a 'proof of insurance' letter from my insurance.

I have never heard from the collection agency since then.

I also called MBB several times and told them I had insurance. At first they tried to claim they sent me 3 bills and I never responded (which was a lie because I never received a bill). So they said it was too late to do anything about it.

But the third time I called them to complain they finally connected me to a 'supervisor' - he said they would try to bill my insurance. I don't think they ever received anything from my insurance because too much time has passed (and in any regard the charges might of been bogus in the first place).

I haven't heard from MBB or their collection agency again since then. My recommendation to you is raise the biggest stink you can and be persistent.

--------------------------------------------

*Follow-up: I looked on my insurance web site for claims filed and I couldn't find any claims filed by MBB. As for as I can tell they never tried to collect from my insurance which leads me to believe it was a scam (or else their billing office is very poorly run).

Last edited by wondermint2; 04-14-2024 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-15-2024, 07:42 AM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
All this sounds like a fishing scam. Some people will just pay the bill, the ones that contest the charge you never hear from them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area