Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times

Advertisements

Oakland has the best weather out of all U.S. cities.

Warmer than San Francisco, cooler than San Jose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 12:28 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Oakland has the best weather out of all U.S. cities.
That might be true if

1. You put an extraordinarily high priority on never wanting warm weather
2. You can put up with a certain amount of fog

San Luis Obispo has 10 months a year when the average high temperature falls between 65F and 80F. Oakland has 6 months that meet that criterion. In San Diego you can get that all year round. There is no such thing as "best weather" by a clear and objective measure. Different people prefer different things. At any rate, the OP wants sun and dryness. You can do a lot better than Oakland if that's your priority. I would maybe look at Walnut Creek, but there's still going to be a certain amount of winter gloom. You really have to get south of the 35th parallel to get out of the SAD belt. It's a celestial phenomenon relating to latitude and the angle of solar radiation, not just a weather issue.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
How fraudulent of you Brenda,

"which Bay Area city has the best weather"

When answering that question, you have to realize that the city rated for having the best weather in the United States, is in fact a Bay Area city. - Oakland, Hence it's nickname "Bright Side of the Bay"

Last edited by Stephen1110; 11-06-2010 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Adding

Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
That might be true if

San Luis Obispo has 10 months a year when the average high temperature falls between 65F and 80F. Oakland has 6 months that meet that criterion. In San Diego you can get that all year round. There is no such thing as "best weather" by a clear and objective measure. Different people prefer different things. At any rate, the OP wants sun and dryness. You can do a lot better than Oakland if that's your priority. I would maybe look at Walnut Creek, but there's still going to be a certain amount of winter gloom. You really have to get south of the 35th parallel to get out of the SAD belt. It's a celestial phenomenon relating to latitude and the angle of solar radiation, not just a weather issue.
Isn't the 35th parallel a bit arbitrary? The 35th parallel itself has nothing to do with SAD, since climate patterns are not solely governed by latitude, and SAD is very much influenced by weather and not just solar radiation. I'm in San Diego at the moment, and because of the LONGITUDE, the sun sets earlier than in SF, and I'm not up to see the earlier sunrise, so in a way, that would create worse SAD even at a lower latitude. So I think sunshine vs. gloom is a much bigger part of SAD than latitude.

All in all, the Bay Area has a mediterranean climate that has much more extended periods of seasonal drought and sunshine than most climates at the same latitude. The actual Mediterranean seaside resorts, which have the same or worse winter gloom issues compared to the Bay Area, are generally at the same or higher latitude as the Bay Area, yet people never characterize them as harbingers of SAD. People characterize the Mediterranean as generally warm and sunny despite their latitude and the winter storms. I think it's a matter of glass half full vs half empty. I agree that Oakland has a fantastic climate overall. And I do think it's warm enough -- according to Wikipedia, it averages well into the 70s in summer, and only 59 in winter, which is a very pleasant range.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
That might be true if

San Luis Obispo has 10 months a year when the average high temperature falls between 65F and 80F. Oakland has 6 months that meet that criterion. In San Diego you can get that all year round.
According to Wikipedia, Oakland has 9 months between 64.2F and 80.6F, which is almost the exact same range. Making it 65 to 80 just squeezes out the marginal months, but really, it's almost the same range.

I agree that weather can't be objectively defined, but I'd say most people like lots of sun and moderate temps. San Diego (although it's actually been icy here in the mornings away from the water lately) is probably the closest to that ideal. LA is much too hot by comparison. SF is too cool. Personally, I think San Jose is better than OAK, but for some, maybe a tad hot as well. Oakland is pretty darn nice though, and when we went to SLO this summer, it was much colder there than OAK. But you can pretty much grow the same tropical vegetation in any of those cities, so we're just splitting hairs if we compare any of those cities to anywhere outside California.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Redwood City's slogan is "climate best by government test"... nuff said.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
It's a pretty comfortable range from Richmond down to San Jose, not including Coyote Valley.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 207 times
Someone says it rains a lot" during the winter in Santa Clara County. It does not at all, compared to the rest of the Bay Area, the state, or the country. Rainfall is moderate at most.Sunshine is abundant in the San Jose area year round.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:54 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona Denz-Hamilton View Post
Someone says it rains a lot" during the winter in Santa Clara County. It does not at all, compared to the rest of the Bay Area, the state, or the country. Rainfall is moderate at most.Sunshine is abundant in the San Jose area year round.
2010 me says thanks.

Old 01-14-2024, 01:36 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
2010 me says thanks.
lol

(gotta love when a newbie resurrects an ancient thread)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose