Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 AM

13 posts, read 19,425 times

Advertisements

i live in a 5BR home and use the 5th BR as a home office.

With COVID, and increasing work from home set up, shouldn't 5 bedrooms homes be much more valued that 4 bedroom homes? in other words, 5BR is the 'new 4BR'

I can't imagine setting up my home office in a common space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 12:36 AM

240 posts, read 478,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy_joe View Post

With COVID, and increasing work from home set up, shouldn't 5 bedrooms homes be much more valued that 4 bedroom homes? in other words, 5BR is the 'new 4BR'

We have a 3/2 with one kid. My office (3 monitors) is in the 2nd smallest bedroom, the living room is dedicated to projecting movies on a pull-down screen, and the family room is my wife's "corner" and my son's "remote learning" setup. If my wife required her own office, we would need a 4/2 or use shared space. A 5 bedroom would only make sense if we had 3 kids, or 2 kids with both parents working from home, and even then we'd probably consider having the children's corner office be in their own bedroom before that... Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 19,425 times
thanks for the info. so 3BR only works for you because you have 1 kid. do you live in SFH?

for SFH, i think increasingly there will be a limited market for 3BR. many families have have more than 1 kid, or have 1 but expecting to have more. assuming a need for 1 home office, 3BR is the equivalent of buying a 2BR house 10-15 years ago. (and there's no market for 2 BR houses).

so 5BR is the new 4BR SFH, 4BR is the new 3BR SFH...

Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 PM

240 posts, read 478,322 times
Quote:
thanks for the info. so 3BR only works for you because you have 1 kid. do you live in SFH?

for SFH, i think increasingly there will be a limited market for 3BR. many families have have more than 1 kid, or have 1 but expecting to have more. assuming a need for 1 home office, 3BR is the equivalent of buying a 2BR house 10-15 years ago. (and there's no market for 2 BR houses).

so 5BR is the new 4BR SFH, 4BR is the new 3BR SFH...
Yes I live in an area of Santa Clara where the entire stock is 3/2, unless remodeled. Across the park the entire stock is 4/2. Further up on Benton St. a long stretch is 2 bedrooms built for returning war veterans eons ago. Scanning the nicer neighborhoods further east along Tanoak Dr, it's still all 3 or 4 bd, but with 2.5 or 3 bathrooms. It's really rare to hit a 5 bedroom anywhere.
Then there's the duplexes alongside the streets parallel to Stevens Creek, and the newish townhomes where they squeezed 3/4 on several levels (yes, 4 bathrooms 3 bedrooms... guess once you reach a certain age, the bathroom is the new office).
Santa Clara is what I know. I've no doubt that your assertion applies to many San Jose neighborhoods, but around here it's still a very long shot.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:45 PM

423 posts, read 610,188 times
Quote:

Maybe to you. But not everyone needs 5BR. Just like any other times, there are people who wants 3BR, 4BR, or 5BR. So why would 5BR be in higher demand today than before?

And there are homes with office (room with door but no closet). So that might be 4BR+ office, but that is not 5BR.

So housing price will follow overall market demand. I don't see anything special about 5BR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose