Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about renting a place (attached to the house of a family acquaintance) out near Scott's Valley, but more like halfway between Los Gatos & S.V. right off highway 17. I drove there last night to check it out, and it took about 40 minutes from Sunnyvale with some traffic at the beginning, but I got home in under 25 minutes since it was totally clear by then. I'm also a speedy but still safe driver, and know that road well enough to take it at the faster flow of traffic.

My workplace is just a bit north of Sunnyvale, so it was showing 30 minutes there/back when I mapped it out last night. Since I mostly work nights and weekends, I rarely have to deal with traffic... typically I work either 10:30am-7pm or 12:30-9:00pm, with alternating Sundays/Mondays off. So could I count on that being the ACTUAL commute time, or is there a hidden factor I haven't considered? Beach traffic is mostly in the summer, I assume, and would be going the opposite direction when I leave for a Sunday shift. Right?? Just trying to make sure it is what it seems, as I can handle 30 minutes no problem - but getting any longer than ~40 minutes could be a deal breaker.

Also, can anyone give me a quick rundown on what it's like to live out there? Being right off the highway it's fairly convenient, and yet it feels like you're in the middle of the mountains. The view from (what would be) my private deck is AMAZING!! I'm just really craving something other than suburban blah, which I have in Sunnyvale right now. Plus it's a bit cheaper @ $1750/mo, versus $2100 for my current place with the chance of it going up to $2300-2400 soon. They're also super pet friendly, and even have chickens and bunnies on the property already. Oh, and a hot tub + wading pool. No brainer, or is there something else I need to think about first?? Any insights would be appreciated!

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-20-2018 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 09:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I can get to Santa Cruz in about 30 minutes from where I live in San Jose, during off-commute hours. I live really close to Westfield Mall on Stevens Creek Blvd in San Jose. That's where I would get onto Hwy 17.

My daughter used to work in Sunnyvale and live in Santa Cruz. During regular commute times, it's horrible. But off-commute times, your timing should be accurate.

The only thing that can mess you up is if there's an accident. Because it's just a two-lane road, if there's an accident, it will back up traffic. But, I think overall, with your schedule, it shouldn't be bad.

My daughter felt the commute was worth it, as she and her boyfriend regularly went to enjoy the sunset at the beach after work. She also likes cooler weather, so it was worth it to her.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanks! I've always loved that area, and tried to move there a couple of years ago (nothing panned out) - so when this opportunity came up, I decided it might be worth moving again. Sunnyvale is fine and convenient to work, but it's just so booooooring. Guess I'm not a suburban girl.

Plus, I'd only be like 15 minutes from Santa Cruz - one of my favorite cities!! And if something unusual like a storm or accident happens, I can just call work to let them know I'm running late. I'm not doing brain surgery or anything, so it's not the end of the world if I'm late occasionally.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-20-2018 at 09:55 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 PM

Check out the view from the deck...

(and from the rooftop)

Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Check out the view from the deck...

(and from the rooftop)
How lovely! I think that would be worth the commute

Old 09-20-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How lovely! I think that would be worth the commute
I think so too! And in regards to what you said in the rep comment, I’m not too worried... their kids go to my niece & nephew’s school, but they aren’t exactly good friends of ours. They do want to find a tenant they know (by association), however, so they’re not planning to advertise the rental. Basically it’s mine if I want it.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Nice! If you can make the commute work, great!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM

353 posts, read 437,378 times
17 through that area can easily be a **** show, but I guess it does depend on when you are commuting. you truly won't know until you move. i would say, take a chance. you don't have much to lose really.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
*IN general* you won't have a problem at the times you mention, but there are several times a year that 'something happens' and the drive goes to hell. It will just depend on whether you have to drive at those times or not.

Downed trees, jack-knifed big rig, mudslide (rarely, but it happens), accidents (lots of morons on the road), too much rain (leading to all of the previous).

My advice would be to take the place (if you like both it and the price) BUT to set up several alternate crash pads on this side (say, at friends) for those one or three days that the roads are jammed at all hours. Also, check the road situation BEFORE trying to go home and have your list of favorite places, restaurants, friends, movie theaters, and coffee houses where you can while away an hour or two in relaxation instead of trapped in your car on highway 17 with the traffic at a standstill. Always have a book 'you've been meaning to read' in the car for those days. And a basic change of clothes and sleeping bag in the trunk for staying at friends' homes. You won't need this prep very often, but when you DO need it, you will be so happy to have it.

(Gee, have you guessed that I was born in the area?)

Old 09-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Thanks, and good suggestions "marcopolo!" I do have some experience with variable/long commutes, having done SF-Napa, SF-Richmond, and SJ-Hollister for previous jobs... and I did much of what you suggested, in case I ever got stuck on the work end. Being stuck at home is less of a problem, since I can just call in if it's an occasional issue. I will have to arrange something ahead of time for my dog, depending on his access to the yard when I'm gone, but the family living there said they'd be willing to help. They have two teen/pre-teen daughters, who were excited at the prospect of having a dog there again (since their own died a few years back).

When I was commuting from SF to Richmond, the Bay Bridge was often unpredictable; so I had a few places in El Cerrito & Berkeley I would frequent, including this one very chill cannabis club with a smoking lounge. If traffic was really bad on my way home, I'd just pull off there and hang out until I was good to drive again.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-21-2018 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose