Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:04 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times

Advertisements

Is San Jose a world class city? If not, what would it take for San Jose to be a world class city? What will it need to become one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Silicon Valley is very much a world class city. We are one of the most economically influential and productive regions in the world.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...San_Jose-3.pdf

Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
^^Agree with above, Silicon Valley is known worldwide; specifically San Jose, no.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
No, it isn't world class all by itself.

As part of the larger, SF Bay Area, then yes.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Silicon Valley is very much a world class city. We are one of the most economically influential and productive regions in the world.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...San_Jose-3.pdf
"Silicon Valley" isn't a city.

I agree the SF bay area is a world class area, but it's the aggregate of the area that makes it that.

SJ by itself? I don't see it.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Agree with the others... San Jose by itself, no. What it would take to become a world class city, IMHO, would be more density, diversity of industries, and world class restaurants and cultural attractions... like something on the level of the Met. Things that attract both residents and international tourists alike (and more of it than other areas). I don't really know that I'd consider Seattle world class either though so maybe my standards are narrow. To me, world class = NYC, SF, Paris, London, Tokyo, etc.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 AM

You guys who say Silicon Valley is not world class, please read the Brookings report I linked in my previous post and tell me if you disagree with them. Brookings is an internationally renown research center or "think tank".

I think some people are stuck in 1950 when San Jose was a small agricultural community south of San Francisco. Things have changed! We're in "The Information Age" and it is being driven by Silicon Valley. The most successful company in the history of the world is here in Silicon Valley.

The main thing that Silicon Valley lacks is landmarks. But we definitely have cultural institutions. Stanford University, Santa Clara University, San Jose State University. The Tech Museum of Innovation. The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum. Symphony Silicon Valley. etc.

But Silicon Valley inherits the advantages of San Francisco, and San Francisco inherits the advantages of Silicon Valley. Napa has wineries, the peninsula has biotech, Oakland has one of the busiest and most productive deep water ports in the world, and Silicon Valley has the tech industry. All of them are great on their own and all of them are better because they are close to each other.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 08-15-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:30 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You guys who say Silicon Valley is not world class, please read the Brookings report I linked in my previous post and tell me if you disagree with them. Brookings is an internationally renown research center or "think tank".

I think some people are stuck in 1950 when San Jose was a small agricultural community south of San Francisco. Things have changed! We're in "The Information Age" and it is being driven by Silicon Valley. The most successful company in the history of the world is here in Silicon Valley.

The main thing that Silicon Valley lacks is landmarks. But we definitely have cultural institutions. Stanford University, Santa Clara University, San Jose State University. The Tech Museum of Innovation. The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum. Symphony Silicon Valley. etc.

But Silicon Valley inherits the advantages of San Francisco, and San Francisco inherits the advantages of Silicon Valley. Napa has wineries, the peninsula has biotech, Oakland has one of the busiest and most productive deep water ports in the world, and Silicon Valley has the tech industry. All of them are great on their own and all of them are better because they are close to each other.
The question is about SJ specifically. "Silicon Valley" is not a city unto itself - it is a region to which SJ is a part of (as is SF, these days). If you wanted to dig in to the question of "what is silicon valley?", it would be many cities - if you plotted it out geographically as a weighted plot, it would likely be centered on the peninsula (north of SJ, south of SF), probably around Palo Alto/Menlo Park.

People are asking about SJ - you keep responding with "Silicon Valley".

Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The question is about SJ specifically.
Well then it is a stupid question, because culturally and economically, all the little towns in Santa Clara County are suburbs of San Jose. Just like Silicon Valley is part of the larger region known as The San Francisco Bay Area.

I mean, by this logic, you can't include the wineries in Napa as a benefit of living in San Francisco because Napa is technically not part of San Francisco.

Oakland, Silicon Valley, the Peninsula, Napa and San Francisco are all great regions by themselves, and they are made even greater by their proximity to each other and their integration as one San Francisco Bay Area.

Quote:
it would likely be centered on the peninsula (north of SJ, south of SF), probably around Palo Alto/Menlo Park.
Nope, the center of Silicon Valley is San Jose. Always has been, always will be.

And Palo Alto IS PART OF SILICON VALLEY. It is not a separate entity. Unless you think Stanford University has no credibility.

History - Part 3 (The Rise of Silicon Valley): Stanford University

Palo Alto is a suburb of San Jose, culturally and economically. Just as San Francisco is the center of the Bay Area, San Jose is the center of Silicon Valley.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:17 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
[no]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose