Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a large number of different ethnicies other than your own make you feel like your not at home i
Yes 52 38.24%
No 84 61.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times

Advertisements

So I went on a trip to San Jose. I went to the mall in San Jose, I think Westfield? Nearly everyone there was Asian. I mean it's not a bad thing, they didn't do anything too me. Maybe a few weird looks, but I felt "out of place". Not like its unlivable, cause I could do it but it's just not the best feeling. I mean I didn't understand any of language, I didn't look like these people, etc. Does bug anyone else at all? I felt like I was in China or something lol, I was really surprised about the demographics. I feel like California is really just becoming all Mexican and Asian. It makes me like it's not my home anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 12:56 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
Sorry I guess I made the poll question too long. It should say does a large number of other ethnicities other than your own make you feel like your not home in your own country, or out of place?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:11 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
No - but then I am not a racist (I don't care about ethnicities - I dislike jerks immensely, whatever the color of their skin)

Old 07-14-2016, 07:23 AM

266 posts, read 319,740 times
It's California.

Perhaps the South would feel like home?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Bulldog View Post
It's California.

Perhaps the South would feel like home?
He won't avoid Asians or Hispanics in the South either. At least here in metro Atlanta, the city where I work is 50% Hispanic and my county is about 20-25% Hispanic. Plus some of the schools in the area are at least 25% Asian, with a couple of elementary schools being close to majority Asian.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 AM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
It must be nice to have one ethnicity to relate to. I'm mixed Asian/White, but grew up in a totally white house hold in the poor side of town where all my friends were Mexican. Talk about confused!

You will find that a large percentage of the younger Asians in San Jose are born in the states and are bilingual if not trilingual and they speak perfect English.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Hey, I'm Asian. I grew up in an area that was 90% white. And while I'm used to being in circles and places where I'm not the majority, in some ways it's actually refreshing to see more folks like me around.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 AM

238 posts, read 315,532 times
As someone who is part African American, Anglo American and Native American, imagine how I feel! I barely see any African Americans in the South Bay, but all other enthnicities, which disturbs me some. I grew up in NYC, one of the most diverse hubs in the world, so I'm pretty spoiled on my expectations that Silicon Valley would be similar.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
So I went on a trip to San Jose. I went to the mall in San Jose, I think Westfield? Nearly everyone there was Asian. I mean it's not a bad thing, they didn't do anything too me. Maybe a few weird looks, but I felt "out of place". Not like its unlivable, cause I could do it but it's just not the best feeling. I mean I didn't understand any of language, I didn't look like these people, etc. Does bug anyone else at all? I felt like I was in China or something lol, I was really surprised about the demographics. I feel like California is really just becoming all Mexican and Asian. It makes me like it's not my home anymore.
Try shopping at the Costco in Fremont. Now that's an experience. True story: My wife and I were shopping there on a Saturday a few months back and some random Latino guy came up to me and said loudly "OH MY GOD, WHITE PEOPLE!!!". He even reached out and shook our hands like he was completely blown away to be coming across real life white people in Fremont. He then went on to tell us that he grew up in the Bay Area and recently moved back from living in LA the last 10 years. He couldn't believe how much the demographics had changed.

It's funny you mention San Jose being not very diverse. After living in the Fremont area since 2009, I always find SJ to be much more diverse whenever I hang out there. It also depends on where you are in SJ. San Jose's different ethnic groups tend to live in specific parts of town- Berryessa has lots Filipino people, Evergreen and other parts of the East Side have lots of Vietnamese people, West San Jose has lots of Chinese and Indian people, Almaden has lots of white and Chinese people, Willow Glen has lots of white people, etc. Of course these are sort of generalizations, but this tends to be the demographic lay out in the city.

Fremont on the other hand, to use as an example, has become almost entirely Chinese and Indian throughout the entire city. The demographic shift is much more noticeable in my opinion because it used to be almost entirely white once upon a time. Some neighborhoods like Glenmoor and Niles still have a high percentage of white people, but that's it.

Back to the Fremont Costco example, it's a horrible shopping experience by the way. I'm not going to assume that you're post was intended to be racist, because I can understand where you're coming from. It can be a little frustrating to feel like a fish out of water in a place where you grew up. When people around you have completely different customs and language it can be very hard to relate and to find common ground. Did I mention that the Fremont Costco shopping experience is just about the worst you'll find anywhere in the Bay Area? I bring this up because if you think your Westfield experience was "different", you will really be in for a shock if you try the Fremont Costco. In all honesty, it's hard to try not to be prejudice toward certain cultures after going there.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
make you feel like your not home in your own country
except... it's as much their country/home as it is yours...

the US isn't a "white" country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose