Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,045 times

Advertisements

Hi, Any concern with the 95148 location near capitol expwy and aborn rd? How is the commute to Santa Clara? Closest freeway is 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,870,385 times
Great commute, it's a breeze to jump on 101. I would say 20 minutes of driving to Santa Clara.

But many gangs and crimes in that area 95148. San Jose is full of gangs and criminals, we have more homicides than SF and Oakland combined! Currently this time of year, we have 18 homicides, but SF and Oakland combined have only 17 homicides (29 for SF + 51 for Oakland = 17 combined).

San Jose only have housing, mostly by criminals. San Jose have no culture (Asian and Hispanic cultures don't count as "real" cultures, fiy) and no sports teams. Santa Clara have a small museum already way more culture than San Jose. And Santa Clara 49ers football team play in Santa Clara as well. Santa Clara also have miles of pedestrian-oriented office parks filled with very friendly and sociable tech people.

San Jose bad place to live, no good. Santa Clara best city in the world, you need to try and live in Santa Clara.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,671,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Great commute, it's a breeze to jump on 101. I would say 20 minutes of driving to Santa Clara.

But many gangs and crimes in that area 95148. San Jose is full of gangs and criminals, we have more homicides than SF and Oakland combined! Currently this time of year, we have 18 homicides, but SF and Oakland combined have only 17 homicides (29 for SF + 51 for Oakland = 17 combined).

San Jose only have housing, mostly by criminals. San Jose have no culture (Asian and Hispanic cultures don't count as "real" cultures, fiy) and no sports teams. Santa Clara have a small museum already way more culture than San Jose. And Santa Clara 49ers football team play in Santa Clara as well. Santa Clara also have miles of pedestrian-oriented office parks filled with very friendly and sociable tech people.

San Jose bad place to live, no good. Santa Clara best city in the world, you need to try and live in Santa Clara.
Huh?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,060,364 times
Quote:

You really should stop doing this. People who are new to this board aren't going to realize you're being sarcastic.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:10 PM

29 posts, read 63,192 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1s View Post
Hi, Any concern with the 95148 location near capitol expwy and aborn rd? How is the commute to Santa Clara? Closest freeway is 101.
If you are talking about the west end border of zip code 95148, the area close to the Evergreen library, I would say this is now one of the cheaper/lower end price range pockets of Evergreen due to proximity to the high traffic Capitol expressway and lower end performing schools of the generally good Evergreen elem school district.

I am not aware of high crime in this area, but in my opinion, the closer you are to the library the better. There is a new playground/park there by the way, if you have kids.

If school is important to you, I suggest the area behind Lucky supermarket (off White & Aborn), or the area behind Carl Jr ( off White & Quimby). Those are also the other lower end price range pockets of Evergreen, but they go to much better schools ( Norwood creek elem, Millbrooks elem, Quimby middle, and Evergreen High school) and will have better resale value.

Commute wise, access to 101 should be within 5 mins and you should be able to get to Santa Clara in 30-40 mins. The 2 newly built 101 ramps at Tully and Capitol expressway have helped ease the ramps congestion since their openings. Also most of the major streets in Evergreen have had their lights synchonized (Capitol, Tully).

Is the area congested? Yes! But, in my opinion, not any worse than in other parts of the South bay area.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:07 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,211,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipworker View Post
If you are talking about the west end border of zip code 95148, the area close to the Evergreen library, I would say this is now one of the cheaper/lower end price range pockets of Evergreen due to proximity to the high traffic Capitol expressway and lower end performing schools of the generally good Evergreen elem school district.

I am not aware of high crime in this area, but in my opinion, the closer you are to the library the better. There is a new playground/park there by the way, if you have kids.

If school is important to you, I suggest the area behind Lucky supermarket (off White & Aborn), or the area behind Carl Jr ( off White & Quimby). Those are also the other lower end price range pockets of Evergreen, but they go to much better schools ( Norwood creek elem, Millbrooks elem, Quimby middle, and Evergreen High school) and will have better resale value.

Commute wise, access to 101 should be within 5 mins and you should be able to get to Santa Clara in 30-40 mins. The 2 newly built 101 ramps at Tully and Capitol expressway have helped ease the ramps congestion since their openings. Also most of the major streets in Evergreen have had their lights synchonized (Capitol, Tully).

Is the area congested? Yes! But, in my opinion, not any worse than in other parts of the South bay area.
I rented a house off of Aborn for 4 years; I could see that new library from the sidewalk outside my home. There were drug deals going on right outside my bedroom window and there was a firefight at the corner shortly before we moved out. Fireworks and loud music were my soundtrack every night; I learned much later the constant fireworks were another sign of gang activity. I should have taken my cue from the bullet holes in the windows, but I paid no heed figuring they must have been there a while; the previous owner was there for 4 decades dating back to when it was simply a humble farm house. The neighborhood developed and then degraded around her.

Traffic is horrific. The stop-and-go starts on Aborn and doesn't let up until you get clear through to the city of Sunnyvale - sometimes all the way to Palo Alto. It took me over 20 minutes from my front door to get onto 101 during commute hours because of the timing lights; I gave up on it and habitually took Capitol the other way to 680 instead, but that commute also has its bad hair days and then you're fighting through Central Valley traffic as well on Montague, Brokaw, or 237 to get to the major SV employers.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM

134 posts, read 256,274 times
Quote:
His sarcasm is going overboard. Hope he gets banned for spitting this trash.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 PM

29 posts, read 63,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I rented a house off of Aborn for 4 years; I could see that new library from the sidewalk outside my home. There were drug deals going on right outside my bedroom window and there was a firefight at the corner shortly before we moved out. Fireworks and loud music were my soundtrack every night; I learned much later the constant fireworks were another sign of gang activity. I should have taken my cue from the bullet holes in the windows, but I paid no heed figuring they must have been there a while; the previous owner was there for 4 decades dating back to when it was simply a humble farm house. The neighborhood developed and then degraded around her.

Traffic is horrific. The stop-and-go starts on Aborn and doesn't let up until you get clear through to the city of Sunnyvale - sometimes all the way to Palo Alto. It took me over 20 minutes from my front door to get onto 101 during commute hours because of the timing lights; I gave up on it and habitually took Capitol the other way to 680 instead, but that commute also has its bad hair days and then you're fighting through Central Valley traffic as well on Montague, Brokaw, or 237 to get to the major SV employers.
Thank you, sonarrat, for your counterview.
I am a current & long time resident of Evergreen and I visit this library almost every week end. At no time do I ever experience drug dealing or loud music or bullet shooting in the vicinity like you described. It's actually one of my favorite places in Evergreen and I live way high up in the hills.

How long ago did you live in this neighborhood??? The library is in fact quite old and not new, though it had a remodeling job back before 2008. And are you truly in zip code 95148? The OP's question was about 95148.

I know that zip code 95121 is on the south side of Aborn, so it is just across from the library. The area around Montgomery elementary off Brigadoon and Nieman were infested with drug at one time in the 80 & 90s.

As I had mentioned, the area is not the best neighborhood in Evergreen, but it is NOW not a war zone like you make it to be.

As for traffic, the new ramps to 101 have HELPED. Have you been to the new ramps in the morning??? and yes, traffic is bad on 101 all the way to Palo Alto. Yet, people keep moving into Evergreen making almost everything out of reach for most people, with most houses in good areas now being way over 800K/$900K with $1M+ now being practically a norm. Good schools and affordability are the key draws of Evergreen, traffic or no traffic.

Here is the crime map for the OP to check out

CrimeReports Map

Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,211,996 times
I was indeed in 95121, one short block from 95148 (on the other side of Aborn). I lived there until the holiday season of 2009, which was basically the depths of the recession. The new ramps were not yet in, but I do experience the difference when I exit 101 at Capitol or Tully to go westbound towards Willow Glen and Cambrian. It makes a lot more sense now.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,870,385 times
San Jose man identified as victim in Fowler Creek Park fatal shooting - San Jose Mercury News

So looks like the most current San Jose homicide (the 18th, from last week) was not actually in the East Side (the colloquial "East Side"), but in the heart of Evergreen itself, at one of the City's best urban parks, no less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose