Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM

486 posts, read 1,256,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
How old are you? 63k isn't exactly a bad starting salary for the first few years.

How did you rack up 70,000 in student loans going to a CSU?

That student loan is killing you, and is the problem. That's 15% of your gross income.
I'll let him answer, but that doesn't seem out of the ordinary. CSU tuition has gone up quite a bit. Plus living expenses. You are looking at at least 20k/year. 80k for 4 years.

I think CSUs are generally designed to be commuter schools, so students can save money by living with parents. But Cal Poly SLO is probably one of the exceptions, it's more of a "destination/dorm" college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,033 times
Well, I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but he could have gone to a C.C for the first two years, and also worked a part time job while in college. CSU tuition is still about 3,500 less a year than what I paid at a U.C.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but he could have gone to a C.C for the first two years, and also worked a part time job while in college. CSU tuition is still about 3,500 less a year than what I paid at a U.C.
I did all that while walking through the snow to get to class to save money by not having a car, yaddy yaddy yada yada.

Spilled milk. I agree it's not optimal. Yes, he could have gone to JC and then transferred to a local CSU and saved money. But what's done is done, and that's not really the point of OP's thread, so saying stuff like that just makes one sound like an old codger.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Perhaps not directly, but one reason why he is finding it hard to afford the lifestyle he wants is because of the lifestyle he chose to have while in college.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Perhaps not directly, but one reason why he is finding it hard to afford the lifestyle he wants is because of the lifestyle he chose to have while in college.
That's true, but I think OP is just being hard on himself. 70k in debt to attend a good school (that's especially highly regarded for engineering) is not bad, and he's landed himself a solid position with good pay in his field. Plus the guy is saving like 30k/year. If he redirected all that to loans, he'd have the loans paid off in under 5 years.

These days at OP's age, you are ahead of the game if you aren't living in your parents' basement trying to figure out ways to dump that 100k of loans you took out to major in Art History on to the taxpayer.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykent View Post
"Spare time to enjoy life would decrease." Many middle class people with high income are also very busy, work so hard and don't have spare time to enjoy life.
Agreed. To get a house I worked a second job, every weekend. No daytime social life for awhile, but I went out nights. The money built up fast.
Guessing you salary at around 31.00 per hour, an extra 16 hours a week would get you almost 25K in a year.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM

7,140 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I think pride has made a lot of us hesitant to move away.

I remembered someone in my youth telling me "you were raised in California, your root is here, if you cannot make it here, then you have failed." Certainly at some point, survival necessity will take precedence over pride, but pride is really really strong especially if your family has been rooted in California.

There's a sense of elite-ism that Californians carry with them. Once they move out of state, they are no longer "elite". I know, it reeks of class discrimination but I think it's true in some ways--and I'm guilty of it to a certain sense as well
This is true..when we were considering moving from the Bay area, people would say, "But where else could you live?" as though CA was the end all and be all. It IS a fabulous state for those with the $ and leisure to enjoy its culture and natural beauty...but for those working, doing long commutes, it's just another metro area with a high cost of living and too much traffic.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you...we made the move to North Carolina and are very happy we did.

But for you? Wherever you go, you'll still have that SL debt. Can you make more money elsewhere and lower your cost of living, too?? Research is needed...is your degree transportable (and experience) in demand in other areas of the country with a lower cost of living?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
That's true, but I think OP is just being hard on himself. 70k in debt to attend a good school (that's especially highly regarded for engineering) is not bad, and he's landed himself a solid position with good pay in his field. Plus the guy is saving like 30k/year. If he redirected all that to loans, he'd have the loans paid off in under 5 years.

These days at OP's age, you are ahead of the game if you aren't living in your parents' basement trying to figure out ways to dump that 100k of loans you took out to major in Art History on to the taxpayer.
I agree that he is overstating his woes - my wife has been working for 4 years at her job, her salary has gone from 48,000 to 70,000 in that time. It just takes time to progress up the ladder.

However, housing is ridiculous in the bay area, and nothing like what our parents had - the poor dude just has to realize that things are harder today than they used to be.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,862,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
This is true..when we were considering moving from the Bay area, people would say, "But where else could you live?" as though CA was the end all and be all. It IS a fabulous state for those with the $ and leisure to enjoy its culture and natural beauty...but for those working, doing long commutes, it's just another metro area with a high cost of living and too much traffic.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you...we made the move to North Carolina and are very happy we did.
Exactly. That's what everyone around me says as well. It's like "WHY would you move?" And most people who moved never came back. And I'm not sure if it's because they don't want to come back, or if they could not come back due to financial constraints anymore.

One more thing from the OP: He's sharing a house with 3 other folks, yet his portion is $800. So that means the monthly rent plus utilities is $3200? This must be a nice decent house in a good neighborhood of San Jose, it cannot be a bad place like the OP said...OP can you clarify which area you're in? That monthly rent seems rather out of place for the majority of San Jose...

Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I agree that he is overstating his woes - my wife has been working for 4 years at her job, her salary has gone from 48,000 to 70,000 in that time. It just takes time to progress up the ladder.

However, housing is ridiculous in the bay area, and nothing like what our parents had - the poor dude just has to realize that things are harder today than they used to be.
Exactly. It is what it is. He can choose to live here in the Bay Area and resign himself to renting indefinitely until his financial situation changes, or he can move. Either way, I think overall he's doing pretty well and should be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose