Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
This forum gets little activity or views. And don't worry about those 408 haters, their already gone and away. More room for those of us who loves this city.
Just a matter of time til the inevitable "San Jose sucks, except for this great place called Santana Row" thread. Never fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
As you know, I like San Jose very much. However I am not a big fan of Santana Row. We lived just 2 blocks from there in 2006 for a couple months and walked to it. I missed the Country Inn restaurant that used to be on Stevens Creek just east of Santana Row. It was in that shopping center that they tore down. We used to go there for breakfast every Sunday in the 70's. Fortunately we found it again in Santa Clara. Best place for breakfast in the area.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM

89 posts, read 206,386 times
Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate all the guidance and insight you offered me. In the end, I turned down the job offer and decided to stay put until a similar job in a more affordable area opens up down the road.

I am staying in South Carolina and am closing on a house soon. I am moving into a brand new 2700 square foot 5BR/3BA house with a yard and granite countertops for $196K that is a 20 minute drive to my office. My mortgage will be $950 a month. The house is under construction now, but it will be ready for me later this spring. I say this not to rub anything in anyone's face, but rather to point out the absurdity of the housing market in the Bay Area--at least as this East Coaster sees it. That amount of money would have gotten me an old manufactured home or maybe an even older 3BR condo (assuming there would be no bidding war) in San Jose.

I guess if you are in the private sector, maybe you can make it out in the Bay Area because your salaries are not restricted by law. Federal employees and other public employees have it much tougher for this reason. And perks like stock options and bonuses do not exist for us feds. So I guess the only way I could have made the San Jose move work is if my wife had found a decent job too. And even then, money would still be tight because of rent increases.

After this experience, I have become a bit more pragmatic with my job search. A part of me still wishes I could take that job because it would have been great. But the strain it would have placed on my family and our finances would have been too much to take. So it just wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, thanks again. And good luck and best wishes to all of you.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
I'm glad that you found something that would have matched your needs better! Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,447 times
WISE decision!!! Way to go, and good luck!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate all the guidance and insight you offered me. In the end, I turned down the job offer and decided to stay put until a similar job in a more affordable area opens up down the road.

I am staying in South Carolina and am closing on a house soon. I am moving into a brand new 2700 square foot 5BR/3BA house with a yard and granite countertops for $196K that is a 20 minute drive to my office. My mortgage will be $950 a month. The house is under construction now, but it will be ready for me later this spring. I say this not to rub anything in anyone's face, but rather to point out the absurdity of the housing market in the Bay Area--at least as this East Coaster sees it. That amount of money would have gotten me an old manufactured home or maybe an even older 3BR condo (assuming there would be no bidding war) in San Jose.

I guess if you are in the private sector, maybe you can make it out in the Bay Area because your salaries are not restricted by law. Federal employees and other public employees have it much tougher for this reason. And perks like stock options and bonuses do not exist for us feds. So I guess the only way I could have made the San Jose move work is if my wife had found a decent job too. And even then, money would still be tight because of rent increases.

After this experience, I have become a bit more pragmatic with my job search. A part of me still wishes I could take that job because it would have been great. But the strain it would have placed on my family and our finances would have been too much to take. So it just wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, thanks again. And good luck and best wishes to all of you.
I think you made the right decision. Silicon Valley is just not a good place for families because of the high costs. Contrary to what some people think, not everyone who lives here is making the high tech salaries, and many people with families really struggle here unless they have an extended family network to help out with child care, etc...and even then, it's still tough.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
I am staying in South Carolina and am closing on a house soon. I am moving into a brand new 2700 square foot 5BR/3BA house with a yard and granite countertops for $196K that is a 20 minute drive to my office.
Wow, my eyes practically popped out of my head when I read that. My long-shot goal is to land a 3/2 within an hour commute of the office within the next ten years.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM

58 posts, read 94,193 times
I know this is none of my business, but why would a family of 4 need a 5BR? Unless they want more kids, that is....

Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM

49 posts, read 89,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativa View Post
I know this is none of my business, but why would a family of 4 need a 5BR? Unless they want more kids, that is....
Gotta put the love swing SOMEWHERE!!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 AM

89 posts, read 206,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativa View Post
Simple:

Master bedroom
Bedroom for Child 1
Bedroom for Child 2
Home office for Daddy
Home office for Mommy/guest bedroom

(No more kids, though!)

Anyway, the home offices are important because I do a lot of work involving research and writing and my wife needs space for the arts and crafts she likes to do. We would have had to give up on the office space if we had moved to San Jose, but now that's a moot point. A 3BR apartment would have worked, but it was too hard to find an affordable one that allowed pets.

Incidentally, my would-be employer indicated that he would reconsider me should that job opening become available again. I'd still consider coming out to SJ just for the job, but I'd need to have a little more cash saved up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose