Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:28 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,239,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen7276 View Post
Yes let's all pay twice as much as the rest of the country for nice weather. You people sound so stupid sometimes.
x 10 Sarcasm is lost on some....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,611 times
vdy1985, if you knew anything about sac you just posted a bunch of pictures of a floodplain where it's been illegal to build anything for the past 10 years. That's the equvilient of me posting a pictures of a bunch of hills in the bay area and saying "look how empty it is". Also there are no farms in Sacramento, just floodplains (like the ones you shown).

As far as downtown sac, yeah there are gaps in the skyline and it it needs work. I never touted sac as the golden skyline (far from it). However it has a better skyline than SJ with half the population.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,239,128 times
Posting random pictures to try to represent a whole area isn't cool. There are some really ugly pictures of San Jose I could find, and some really pretty parts of Sacramento I could find, doing what you do to prove a point is stupid and inaccurate.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,140,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Posting random pictures to try to represent a whole area isn't cool. There are some really ugly pictures of San Jose I could find, and some really pretty parts of Sacramento I could find, doing what you do to prove a point is stupid and inaccurate.
Majin did the same thing by only showing a small portion of DT SJ. The ugliest areas of Sac are much worse than the ugliest areas of SJ. SJ is a lot cleaner and safer.

Majin, Sacramento's downtown is getting better, but it really isn't all that. San Jose's is much better. It is larger (as seen in my picture I posted, you can compare it with the DT Sac pic you posted), has more/larger events, and a much better nightlife. And empty hill areas in the bay area look pretty nice, versus flat flood plains. Let's be real, Sacramento has only got to the point it has thanks to ex bay area residents. It is an up and coming city, but still doesn't hold a candle to most cities, let alone the largest city, of the bay area.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,548,374 times
I go to both cities pretty regularly and of course everything is subjective, but downtown Sacramento is a lot more "complete" looking than San Jose. Hell, Des Moines Iowa has a better downtown. I have family in Chico and coming back home I can see the skyline of Sacramento from about 18 miles away on a clear day (just south of Yuba City once you get to the rice fields that have no trees to block the view).

Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,140,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I go to both cities pretty regularly and of course everything is subjective, but downtown Sacramento is a lot more "complete" looking than San Jose. Hell, Des Moines Iowa has a better downtown.
I go between both cities as well.

How is it "better"? You guys keep saying it is better, but with no substance. Sure everything is subjective, but give me your reasons why. SJ's downtown dwarfs Sacramento's downtown. And its not even like downtown SJ is that big. I'll give you that Sacramento's downtown has the nice bonus of having the nice riverfront, it really looks beautiful. But other than that, I can't think of anything it has over SJ. Regardless, SJ overall has a lot more to offer than Sac. Access to the coast is much easier, weather is better, much better place for a foodie, betting shopping, better economy, safer, etc.

Anyways, this is a troll thread, and we took the bait. I don't know how we are comparing dt SJ to dt Sac in this thread.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Majin did the same thing by only showing a small portion of DT SJ. The ugliest areas of Sac are much worse than the ugliest areas of SJ. SJ is a lot cleaner and safer.

Majin, Sacramento's downtown is getting better, but it really isn't all that. San Jose's is much better. It is larger (as seen in my picture I posted, you can compare it with the DT Sac pic you posted), has more/larger events, and a much better nightlife. And empty hill areas in the bay area look pretty nice, versus flat flood plains. Let's be real, Sacramento has only got to the point it has thanks to ex bay area residents. It is an up and coming city, but still doesn't hold a candle to most cities, let alone the largest city, of the bay area.
SJ is cleaner and safer because it's a suburb. Sacramento is a really old, grity, and an actual city. I like to live in actual cities, so I prefer some old grit and density.

Completely disagree about DT DJ vs DT Sac. DT SJ in terms of square might be larger than Sac but Sac has more density and more height. It might look empty if you zoom out of the skyline because our tall buildings are spread out but on the ground level it's much denser.

Here are some examples of what a real city looks like:

Nice dense urban grit.

And I completely disagree abouot SJ nightlife vs Sac nightlife. The grid in sac is in a class of it's own in NorCal, and certainly surpasses SJ easily. We have densly populated locations in the grid thats crazy pretty much every weekend without any events going on. On Second Saturday it's absolute insanity.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Also, just to further compare why Sacramento is an actual city and San jose is a suburb:

Sacramento, California Neighborhoods on Walk Score

San Jose, California Neighborhoods on Walk Score

Come on, thats pathetic.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:20 PM

292 posts, read 753,337 times
We are talking about two different things here.

In terms of skyline, Sacramento beats San Jose pretty easily, theres no doubt there.

In terms of actually being in the downtown, at street level, they're pretty comparable, although I'd give the slight edge to San Jose. It has really narrow, pedestrian friendly streets with light rail integrated into into the design. There's also a growing nightclub scene in San Jose, with maybe around 40+ places in a pretty small area. All that said, I really like downtown Sacramento.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,546,190 times
Having been born in raised in and around San Jose, I grew pretty tired of it. My wife and I moved away to Denver 5 years ago, and I must say, Denver has a much more attractive downtown area than San Jose. But San Jose has milder weather and more jobs. You compromise a little no matter where you go. I always wished they'd do more with SJ, but I don't care now. We don't plan on moving back there. It seemed nice enough growing up there, but it's quite different now. We're actually moving to Roseville, a suburb of Sacramento. I can't say I feel downtown Sacramento is as nice or inviting as downtown Denver, but it's not bad and I think we'll enjoy it. And I haven't walked around downtown Sacramento in several years, so I'm sure my memories of the city aren't all that accurate. It's probably nicer than I remember (at least I hope so). SJ hasn't changed all that much, and I can't say I'm a big fan of the city - as Majin said, it seems more like a massive suburb than a big city. But that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose