Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 06:23 PM

7,491 posts, read 3,897,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
why pressure from south asians ?
They are high achievers and want their kids to have the chance to earn 4.15 GPAs if they are capable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 07:45 AM

7,199 posts, read 9,348,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
They are high achievers and want their kids to have the chance to earn 4.15 GPAs if they are capable.

Just a 4.15? Are you kidding?

Anything less than a straight A report card is totally unacceptable.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:01 AM

4,327 posts, read 6,297,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Just a 4.15? Are you kidding?

Anything less than a straight A report card is totally unacceptable.
Good example of teaching for the tests and high academic marks while severely lacking in extracurricular areas and leadership capabilities.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:19 AM

410 posts, read 452,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Good example of teaching for the tests and high academic marks while severely lacking in extracurricular areas and leadership capabilities.
In other words, just like all of the developed world.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:06 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,297,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
In other words, just like all of the developed world.
Some regions more than others

Old 04-25-2024, 05:04 PM

7,491 posts, read 3,897,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
That's been one of the complaints by American parents at schools that have turned majority Indian -- that academics and GPA have taken over and there is no support for sports and the arts. This is what happens when foreigners become the majority in your city.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 865,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
That's been one of the complaints by American parents at schools that have turned majority Indian -- that academics and GPA have taken over and there is no support for sports and the arts. This is what happens when foreigners become the majority in your city.
Ive noticed that too , why is that ?

Old 04-26-2024, 07:22 AM

7,199 posts, read 9,348,499 times
Quote:
If your grandfather spent most of his life steering a plough while peering up the stinky end of an ox in order to to eek out a subsistence living, and your father risked his life fleeing to the USA as an immigrant to work in a laundry or restaurant and you have the opportunity of a lifetime to become the first engineer or doctor in your family, life gets very serious very quickly.

I know that because I experienced it. As a child, I slept on a concrete floor because my family with 7 siblings could barely afford to survive. My very stern father expected no less than a perfect report card. I actually feared for my life if I could not maintain my grades. Luckily, it all worked out very well for me.

The people who most appreciate American opportunity are those who came from places that held them down.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:37 AM

1,072 posts, read 800,338 times
Quote:
I don't entirely agree with the very broad brush strokes being used here, because I know of plenty of exceptions and people aren't easily reduced to just race or origin. That said, there's an element of truth to some of it.

Western culture tends to view education more holistically -- the enrichment of the entire person to make them well rounded. This is very much a product of our privilege (by which I mean the environment we're born into, I don't mean it in a pejorative sense) of living in a society with wealth, economic opportunity, upward mobility, and a social safety net. And it's also part of the legacy of Christianity in the West and things like the Imago Dei (e.g. it was the church was instrumental in founding the first universities and the western educational system). While the US is FAR from perfect when it comes to providing for the most vulnerable, people generally don't starve to death and anyone can walk into an emergency room for care even if they have no money.

The reality in some parts of the world is very different. If one is surrounded by abject poverty with no social safety net and starvation is a very real possibility, then it's quite sensible to have an entirely utilitarian view of education. Because arts and sports aren't going to put food on the table.

So what I've observed is that many first generation immigrants have a very strong utilitarian view of education. Which I think is quite reasonable given their lived experience. Whereas the second and later generations are more likely to have a more holistic view. Not always, there are exceptions.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:28 AM

1,329 posts, read 865,595 times
immigrants usually tend to go for college degrees that translate in well paying jobs while a lot of US born students tend to follow their interests thinking if they are good enough the money will follow

thats just my observation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland