Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 10:36 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, I have many photos I'd like to share in the PHX and NM forums but I can't get the large form photos to show up. I gave up. Just have to enjoy loco's PHX photos. Wish more people would post or be able to figure it out.

As for the heritage weekend, I didn't see any photos of the streetcars that existed when I lived there in the 70's and 80's. They were Earl Scheib yellow and green. I loved those streetcars. Also, there were "jitneys" than ran along Mission Blvd to the Financial District. I wonder if they were part of MUNI. It was so easy to get around SF. I had a car but barely used it.
You're probably thinking of the "PCC" streetcars... they're still around!
They run up and down Market Street, and on to Fisherman's Wharf:
www.streetcar.org
http://www.sftravel.com/article/guid...line-streetcar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 10:43 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Are you sure? It seems like those old yellow and green street cars were updated as far as model, and painted slightly different colors but basically the same?

Old 10-01-2023, 11:02 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
I have taken a ride in this model of streetcar from Fisherman's Wharf to Market St. There is at least one more model of streetcar on that line,

https://www.sftravel.com/sites/defau...?itok=uxwjmw8v

There is this one and another one painted green

https://www.sftravel.com/sites/defau...?itok=KU3l62Vn

Old 10-01-2023, 11:07 AM

I know that I probably sound cranky, but when I see photos of those, I get really really sad. I miss the old cars. I realize that people riding those cars now will be nostalgic in the future when something replaces them.

I lived on the cable car line on California Street (just down from the Mark). That lasted only a few months. I didn't realize that the clanging bell started at 5:00 a.m.! Sometimes though, I wish I were still in that 1930's apartment building, with the clawfoot tub, vintage tiled bathroom and kitchen, glass doorknobs, and historic crown molding.

I didn't take the cable car because it was more expensive, and the walk to work wasn't far. The locals don't ride the cable car unless it is the most convenient method. Still, it takes longer than other methods.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I know that I probably sound cranky, but when I see photos of those, I get really really sad. I miss the old cars. I realize that people riding those cars now will be nostalgic in the future when something replaces them.

I lived on the cable car line on California Street (just down from the Mark). That lasted only a few months. I didn't realize that the clanging bell started at 5:00 a.m.! Sometimes though, I wish I were still in that 1930's apartment building, with the clawfoot tub, vintage tiled bathroom and kitchen, glass doorknobs, and historic crown molding.

I didn't take the cable car because it was more expensive, and the walk to work wasn't far. The locals don't ride the cable car unless it is the most convenient method. Still, it takes longer than other methods.
I have not taken a ride on any cable car or the F line for a number of years.....since a medical issue came along. The times I rode the F Line, were when I would walk to Fisherman's Wharf, after spending time in North Beach and catch the F Line there. I would get off the F Line on Market near 2nd St. .....then catch either the #38 Ocean Beach bus or the #2 bus home. The #2 line stop was by Chase Ctr, across the street from thar See's store. If I planned do some shopping elsewhere in SF, after going to North Beach, I would drive there and fingers crossed that I could find a non metered parking spot......believe it or not, I was able to find one.....but, not always.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

I've wondered about that, re: apts. near the cable car lines. I stayed in a friend's apt. a couple of times that was about 2 blocks from the CA St. cable car line. I couldn't hear the bell clanging, but I loved being near the cable car line, which I did occasionally use to go downtown or the opposite direction: to Whole Foods, which is just past the end of the line. It was a treat, not something I'd do often if I lived there long term. It was actually walkable from where the apt. was, by the St. Francis Hospital, to downtown for people who don't mind a somewhat long walk, so I didn't really need transit.

Your apartment sounds fabulous, though! The 30's are my favorite era for homes and apartments. Usually--high ceilings, lots of natural light, quality design, and those old-timey details that we now consider to be luxury items! Love the big claw-foot tubs!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-01-2023 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-01-2023, 12:51 PM

Yes, and it had curved ceilings and the tiny kitchen had a view of Alcatraz Island. It was a tiny apartment (a studio) but it was wonderful. The rent was probably all of $500/mo. back in 1977 when I rented it. Probably $3-4000/mo. by now.

I fondly remember my San Francisco days and I miss riding the MUNI and BART. It was a great place to live back then. It was nothing like it is now.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, and it had curved ceilings and the tiny kitchen had a view of Alcatraz Island. It was a tiny apartment (a studio) but it was wonderful. The rent was probably all of $500/mo. back in 1977 when I rented it. Probably $3-4000/mo. by now.

I fondly remember my San Francisco days and I miss riding the MUNI and BART. It was a great place to live back then. It was nothing like it is now.
https://www.dollartimes.com/inflatio...=500&year=1977

I would not be surprised. if the current market rate rent for the apt you describe is more than amount in link above

Old 10-01-2023, 02:04 PM

Interesting. I'm sure that apartment rents for more than $2500 or once did during the spikes that ebb and flow over time. It's a very small apartment and it's not possible to park a care there, but it's close to the Financial District, Union Square, Chinatown and of course it's a couple blocks below Nob Hill.

Edit: Ha! I just looked up the building, it's 840 California Street, next to Pratt Alley. I got at least 5 tickets for parking there! That's another reason I moved. I was on the ground floor next to the side entrance on the alley. I had a great landlord directly across from my door. I've always wondered what happened to him. He was a fabulous pipe organist who could play Bach and other composers beautifully. PS the art deco on the face was not there when I lived there.

If you look up the address on Google Maps, someone has posted a very brief video of a cable car passing by the building. Sweet!

I found a website that has a photo posted of my former apartment! It is renting for $2195/mo. #52 They have remodeled, of course. The kitchen is completely redone and the floors are different. They took out the clawfoot tub and the bathroom is completely different. What do we expect after 45 years

https://www.rentsfnow.com/apartments...ign=Google-GMB

The description talks about being right on the cable car line and how great that is. They don't mention the noise!

Last edited by pathrunner; 10-01-2023 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-01-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I'm sure that apartment rents for more than $2500 or once did during the spikes that ebb and flow over time. It's a very small apartment and it's not possible to park a care there, but it's close to the Financial District, Union Square, Chinatown and of course it's a couple blocks below Nob Hill.
North side ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland