Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 07:59 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
By posting a link to that article, with a big thumbs-up no less, you are in effect recommending the content of said article.
The thumbs-up was for a Korean restaurant on the list, not for the whole list. Context is everything. Re-read the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 07:59 PM

7,419 posts, read 3,848,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nobody said you had to go there for dinner, did they? Some of the restaurants are open for lunch. Besides, it's summer. It's broad daylight throughout most people's idea of dinnertime, with plenty of time left over to catch BART or transit back home. Of course people go there "at night" (7:00 pm in the Tenderloin on a sunny summer evening: ooooh, scary!!!), and in their right minds. You're missing out. But...suit yourself.
Well, most people generally only have time to leave their own area for dinner, right? Unless you're saying only Tenderloin residents should eat there and only during the day.

And now you are suggesting they take BART, and what? Walk through the Tenderloin to get to one of those restaurants?

There are good restaurants all over the city. There is no need to patronize SF's slum neighborhood to get good food.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:45 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,501,348 times
The Tenderloin varies from block to block. I recently celebrated my birthday at a fun bar that is at the same intersection as Shalimar and Wilson & Wilson. One of my friends who lives on the Peninsula was hesitant to come because of the location, but I assured him we weren't deep in the bad part. Turns out it was fine, and he was happy to go. We had no issues in the area, but do keep in mind we were sure to approach from the east only (to/from Union Square).

Old 08-14-2023, 10:04 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,748,768 times
Oops wrong thread.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:18 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,570,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
The Tenderloin varies from block to block. I recently celebrated my birthday at a fun bar that is at the same intersection as Shalimar and Wilson & Wilson. One of my friends who lives on the Peninsula was hesitant to come because of the location, but I assured him we weren't deep in the bad part. Turns out it was fine, and he was happy to go. We had no issues in the area, but do keep in mind we were sure to approach from the east only (to/from Union Square).
Yes it does and apparently not everyone understands that (those with an agenda).

Old 08-15-2023, 09:15 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,818,423 times
Quote:

I was was looking on a Google St view yesterday at the location of one of the restaurants mentioned in the SF Gate article. I likely would be fine that location. But, I do have a tendency of wanting to walk around and explore an area a bit after dining somewhere. So, that neighborhood of SF is not one of my preferred areas to dine out.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
So, you're suggesting someone take BART and get off at Montgomery and walk east? Or maybe Powell? Neither solution will avoid homeless drug addicts. And if you get off at Montgomery, you might as well eat in that area.

The Tenderloin is a slum and has been one for many decades. It was a slum when I was in college in SF in the 1980s. It was a slum when I visited SF for the first time in the 1970s. Techies encroached during the tech boom, but that's over.

It's generally smart to avoid the city slums. This is why people avoid Skid Row in Los Angeles.

Life is about avoidance of unnecessary risk. Intelligent people, especially those with families, seek to avoid unnecessary risk. It's what adults do. Hanging out in the Tenderloin or Skid Row has just the opposite effect.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:05 PM

Ironic that I was in college in San Francisco in the 80s, and initially arrived in the area in 1966. I also worked on Market Street between 3rd and 4th for 10 years and typically parked outside Macy's in Union Square. Not once was I attacked or aggressively approached by a homeless person (nor were any of my friends). I also never saw a homeless person shooting up.

But on the Internet ....

Agenda

Old 08-15-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Ironic that I was in college in San Francisco in the 80s, and initially arrived in the area in 1966. I also worked on Market Street between 3rd and 4th for 10 years and typically parked outside Macy's in Union Square. Not once was I attacked or aggressively approached by a homeless person (nor were any of my friends). I also never saw a homeless person shooting up.

But on the Internet ....

Agenda
Times change. And note in the past, SFPD worked very hard to keep Union Square free of dirt bags so out-of-towners kept coming in and spending money. That's obviously not a priority today, given all the stores that have left and their reasons for leaving.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Times change. And note in the past, SFPD worked very hard to keep Union Square free of dirt bags so out-of-towners kept coming in and spending money. That's obviously not a priority today, given all the stores that have left and their reasons for leaving.
And the reasons for the leaving has already been debunked, but you continue nonetheless. Not to mention San Francisco has always had a homeless problem. Times haven't changed that much. The only thing that has changed is we have social media where people like to embellish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland