Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 04:06 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I was on the 44 bus a couple of weeks ago. I took that bus to visit the deYoung Museum. Coming back, I got off the 44 @ 6th & Balboa and paid a visit to the Cinderella Bakery/Cafe......then caught the #31 bus.
I also like the Inner Sunset area......not the outer Sunset though
YESSS!!!

I just had to chime in. Pardon my enthusiasm. OP, the Cinderella, by GG Park, is an authentic (not tourist-ified) Russian restaurant and bakery where the local Russians hang out. Great bakery items, and they have a variety of pirozhki to take out (or eat in). Great place for E European comfort food.

Good post, tikka.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 04:18 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Not hard to find negative stories about Georgia......the state you apparently live in now

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vate-cops.html
And yet, you must deflect to disagree.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:25 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
I only took the 67 Bernal Heights to get to the BART station on 24th. It does a loop through Bernal Heights and ends at 24th Street, then loops back to Bernal Heights.

I'm glad I lived in San Francisco when I did. After the Haight, before the tech boom. It was a beautiful, wonderful city. Some of my best memories are from there. I get nostalgic just looking at a map and all the cool neighborhoods and memories of neat little shops, especially in the Mission and Noe Valley. The foregoing was my 'hood. Never wanted to live anywhere else. I did once live on California Street just down from The Mark Hopkins in a cool little studio in an old bldg. Didn't realize the cable car started up at 5 a.m. with its clanging, so I moved a few months later. Walked to work in the Financial District, though, and that was way cool. I wonder what the rent is now, in that bldg. My rent wasn't more than $400-500 in 1977. If I were moving to San Francisco now, I'd try to live somewhere around there initially, but rents might be prohibitive. We don't know OP's budget (and he/she doesn't have to tell us).

Old 06-16-2023, 05:23 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I only took the 67 Bernal Heights to get to the BART station on 24th. It does a loop through Bernal Heights and ends at 24th Street, then loops back to Bernal Heights.

I'm glad I lived in San Francisco when I did. After the Haight, before the tech boom. It was a beautiful, wonderful city. Some of my best memories are from there. I get nostalgic just looking at a map and all the cool neighborhoods and memories of neat little shops, especially in the Mission and Noe Valley. The foregoing was my 'hood. Never wanted to live anywhere else. I did once live on California Street just down from The Mark Hopkins in a cool little studio in an old bldg. Didn't realize the cable car started up at 5 a.m. with its clanging, so I moved a few months later. Walked to work in the Financial District, though, and that was way cool. I wonder what the rent is now, in that bldg. My rent wasn't more than $400-500 in 1977. If I were moving to San Francisco now, I'd try to live somewhere around there initially, but rents might be prohibitive. We don't know OP's budget (and he/she doesn't have to tell us).

Yes, we don't know OP's budget and what sort of a dwelling might be acceptable to him/her. Perhaps if OP browsed the rental listings and shared with us rentals that fit his/her budget.....
You mentioned Noe Valley. below is a link showing rentals of the general Noe Valley area. I think overall it is a good area...still and perhaps OP can browse the listing.

https://hotpads.com/noe-valley-san-f...-122.4312&z=16

Old 06-16-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
And yet, you must deflect to disagree.

Yes, I disagree that your posting was meant to be useful to OP.. ...and that is why you got the response you did.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
YESSS!!!

I just had to chime in. Pardon my enthusiasm. OP, the Cinderella, by GG Park, is an authentic (not tourist-ified) Russian restaurant and bakery where the local Russians hang out. Great bakery items, and they have a variety of pirozhki to take out (or eat in). Great place for E European comfort food.

Good post, tikka.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Is it a good time to move to San Fran-untitled.jpg  

Old 06-16-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
thanks
You're so lucky to be able to drop in there, whenever you want! I miss it!

Old 06-16-2023, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're so lucky to be able to drop in there, whenever you want! I miss it!
Dropping in there is a rather recent thing for me. My neighbor has mentioned going there and I recall you mentioning Cinderella on this forum.......so, I decided to check it out
Katia's Russian Tea Room restaurant on the corner of 5th Ave and Balboa closed a number of years ago

Old 06-16-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Dropping in there is a rather recent thing for me. My neighbor has mentioned going there and I recall you mentioning Cinderella on this forum.......so, I decided to check it out
Katia's Russian Tea Room restaurant on the corner of 5th Ave and Balboa closed a number of years ago
IMO, Katia had a lot of nerve setting up shop so close to the Cinderella. She might have had more success in a different location, where the competition wasn't so nearby. The Cinderella has been in the community almost since the Russian community got its start. Since the 40's or early 50's. Katia's was much more recent. Clement St. would have been a great location for another Russian restaurant, if anyone were to try that again.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:39 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,552,321 times
San Francisco has changed a lot in the past 26 years. When I first moved to Reno we would go once a year for 3 days and really loved it. The last time I went was 2018 and it was disgusting. The smell of urine, all the garbage on the sidewalks and streets along with people shooting up openly.

It was on the national news last night about the shopping mall going out of business, many stores leaving and some stores having armed guards outside their stores. The homeless problem has significantly increased. The cable cars and downtown streets used to be packed with people but not anymore from what I saw on the news.

I have a few friends that still love to go there but I don’t enjoy it. I would go for a week to visit to decide for yourself. It’s an individual decision. I would also look at the price of real estate to see if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland